Offline GeorgeBW

• Leave death a burnt out castle

• Drives: AM Vantage Roadster, Merc E Class Cab
Don't mean to be a wet blanket but if you are going to drive the GOR just don't speed. It is a hunting ground cos' they know they can get an easy score.
Actually, i don't have a problem with your point. I see it more as about a) not slowing for the corners and b) overtaking - in which case it's not at all hard to blow the limit - 2nd gear runs to 122kmh, so it's easy to hit. My big fear is overtaking an unmarked. Do VicCops book you for overtaking safely i.e. at speed?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

As a newbie, how do i go member's only? Start a new thread?

That might be a little premature for a newbie. Hang around for a while.

Offline GeorgeBW

aaah ... heading off on Saturday ... can i graduate by then? :confused:

PS Can you email me?

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Actually, i don't have a problem with your point. I see it more as about a) not slowing for the corners and b) overtaking - in which case it's not at all hard to blow the limit - 2nd gear runs to 122kmh, so it's easy to hit. My big fear is overtaking an unmarked. Do VicCops book you for overtaking safely i.e. at speed?
If you haven't been on GOR before, it's not exactly a place where you can overtake at all. Usually, MOST people pull over on the side bays to let you go past, but otherwise, you won't find many straight stretches that give you room to overtake.

I've never seen cops on the GOR itself, as it's so tight and twisty, not many people speed at all, and the cops have nowhere to pull anyone over either.
But if you come back inland, on the hwy, there are cops everywhere in unmarked cars.

Also, the roads that cut through the countryside between GOR and the hwy are awesome, quiet with virtually zero traffic, well sighted and well surfaced. I enjoy those the most.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline GeorgeBW

Actually, my third drive down the GOR, first time in driver's car - interesting comment about the connecting roads - many between the GOR and hwy either side of Apollo Bay?

PS I don't need a straight to overtake - just a legal curve  :tilt:

Offline app

I remember watching a cop show (or something to that effect) years ago about a guy who got fined from a speed camera parked on the side of the road and took it to court.

He won on the premises that the camera was situated on a bend and not a straight stretch of the road. Apparently speed cameras - well that type at the time anyway - weren't accurate on bends?

Is this true or not? Or was this an old style of camera and they have since upgraded speed cameras to be accurate on bends? :scratchchin:

Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever seen a speed camera on a twisty road with out a straight stretch...

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever seen a speed camera on a twisty road with out a straight stretch...

Somewhere around page 5-10 of the speed cameras thread (can't be arsed searching right now) I posted the full Vic guidelines for speed camera placement, and I think there's something about them not being allowed to be placed within such-and-such a distance of bends.