Offline blackr35

Hi all,

Someone posted here (can't find it on tapatalk for iPhone) about the issues with privately bringing in tires via Tire Rack and insurance. Is there an issue with this? For example, if you are involved in an accident on a public road, is the insurer going to check for imported tires? My understanding is that the tires you buy in Aus and the tires you buy from o/s are the same product, but privately importing them invalidates the chain of warranty...if there is a problem, the importer (you) is liable before the manufacturer?

Thoughts?

Offline racecomp

• Carbon Fiber Gimp

• Name: Steve
Not a 100% sure but as part of the RAWS you need to change the tyres on imported vehicles to get compliance.

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Hi all,

Someone posted here (can't find it on tapatalk for iPhone) about the issues with privately bringing in tires via Tire Rack and insurance. Is there an issue with this? For example, if you are involved in an accident on a public road, is the insurer going to check for imported tires? My understanding is that the tires you buy in Aus and the tires you buy from o/s are the same product, but privately importing them invalidates the chain of warranty...if there is a problem, the importer (you) is liable before the manufacturer?

Thoughts?
last few years i've bought tyres in including Avons and Blockleys,1st I've heard of this .
Main issue is getting a tyre fitter who knows what he's doing or is prepared to strip and fit.

Offline blackr35

Main issue is getting a tyre fitter who knows what he's doing or is prepared to strip and fit.

Always an issue with the R35s and the run flat knurled tires...

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
I brought it up a few days back. Under the local rules, whoever imports the tyres is deemed to have the same liability as the actual manufacturer of the tyres themselves. In the event of an accident involving injury there is the potential that you could have some legal liability if the accident was caused or contributed to by the tyres themselves.
In theory a claim on insurance for accident damage alone could be knocked back; but IMO the chances are slim unless the tyres were obviously at fault.

I import my own tyres from tire rack as the savings are as high as 50%. You have to realise that for all intents and purposes there is no warranty or back up once you have them here. That's the risk you take for the money saved I guess.

Offline blackr35

I brought it up a few days back. Under the local rules, whoever imports the tyres is deemed to have the same liability as the actual manufacturer of the tyres themselves. In the event of an accident involving injury there is the potential that you could have some legal liability if the accident was caused or contributed to by the tyres themselves.
In theory a claim on insurance for accident damage alone could be knocked back; but IMO the chances are slim unless the tyres were obviously at fault.

I import my own tyres from tire rack as the savings are as high as 50%. You have to realise that for all intents and purposes there is no warranty or back up once you have them here. That's the risk you take for the money saved I guess.

Thanks! Do you have a link to the pertinent local rules?

The savings from importing sound good but I guess no one ever wants to be the test case!

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles

how much they charge for shipping and what about import duty
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter

When was the last time? I heard (no personal experience) that some of the tyre companies have tightened up and forbidden them to ship to Australia.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

these are the boys for older car tyres.
www.longstonetyres.co.uk
There Avon is the perfect tyre for any carby Ferrari of the 60s or 70s.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Thanks! Do you have a link to the pertinent local rules?

The savings from importing sound good but I guess no one ever wants to be the test case!

No I don't have the relevant laws to hand; but I was informed of them by Carl Jones who has been involved in sales and supply of tyres locally. Carl is as careful and anal retentive as they come, so I have no reason to doubt the information.