Offline 916senna

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Remote controlled battery powered toy
how much they charge for shipping and what about import duty
Via: FEDEX INT'L ECONOMY   From: Louisiana

2   235/35ZR -19 Pirelli PZero Corsa System Direzionale XL   In Stock   $485.00   $970.00
1   295/30ZR -19 Pirelli PZero Corsa System Asimmetrico Left X   In Stock   $658.00   $658.00
1   295/30ZR -19 Pirelli PZero Corsa System Asimmetrico Right   In Stock   $658.00   $658.00

Some products above selected for the following vehicle(s):
Vehicle: 08 Lamborghini Gallardo

Shipping:    $314.73
Tax:    $.00
I can't remember if I had to pay tax to get them cleared, I think I did, but it wasn't a lot perhaps 300.
It was about 300 to get them fitted and balanced and saved me about 1500 over what I was quoted locally. The above is usd so the aud is less

Offline Horse

• Hung like Einstein

Hi all,

Someone posted here (can't find it on tapatalk for iPhone) about the issues with privately bringing in tires via Tire Rack and insurance. Is there an issue with this? For example, if you are involved in an accident on a public road, is the insurer going to check for imported tires? My understanding is that the tires you buy in Aus and the tires you buy from o/s are the same product, but privately importing them invalidates the chain of warranty...if there is a problem, the importer (you) is liable before the manufacturer?

Thoughts?

Are the tyres for your GTR?

I bought tyres from TEMPE Tyres in Sydney for mine and had them shipped to Brisbane.

They must import themselves as there was a huge saving on prices from Tyre shops here.
Why such a long face?

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
how much they charge for shipping and what about import duty

Very reasonable rates. I bought a set of 4 run flats for my X5M a few months back. Shipping was $336.49 US, duty and GST was $386.26, tyres themselves $2686 for an all up total of $3408.75 US or $3352 Australian at the time.

The tyres are very expensive locally. I think the fronts were $1100 each and the rears $1200 each so around $4600 a set. Saving was therefore $1248 or 27% by importing myself.

You could possibly reduce it further by splitting shipments to get it under the $1000 tax free limit if you were so inclined; but that's not comparing apples with apples.

Offline 916senna

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Remote controlled battery powered toy
Very reasonable rates. I bought a set of 4 run flats for my X5M a few months back. Shipping was $336.49 US, duty and GST was $386.26, tyres themselves $2686 for an all up total of $3408.75 US or $3352 Australian at the time.

The tyres are very expensive locally. I think the fronts were $1100 each and the rears $1200 each so around $4600 a set. Saving was therefore $1248 or 27% by importing myself.

You could possibly reduce it further by splitting shipments to get it under the $1000 tax free limit if you were so inclined; but that's not comparing apples with apples.
lol , trust you to know it to the cent :)

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

lol , trust you to know it to the cent :)

Only because I am an anal retentive who has to keep track of absolutely everything to do with my cars.
I also happen to be sitting within arms reach of the X5M file :)

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

:D :D

Coincidence?

Would you believe I missed that? Slipping badly :(

Offline blackr35

Are the tyres for your GTR?

I bought tyres from TEMPE Tyres in Sydney for mine and had them shipped to Brisbane.

They must import themselves as there was a huge saving on prices from Tyre shops here.

Yep, for my GTR. Sure I've dealt with Tempe before. No problems with them but then the tires have to be fitted in Adelaide - and that's when the drama starts. For some reason, the Dunlops (my preferred tire over the Bridgestones) are more expensive in the US than the Bridgestones. It's the reverse in Australia. After customs, shipping, and fitting, getting the Dunlops on the car is about $3-400 cheaper via self importing. Not worth it 8-/

Offline Horse

• Hung like Einstein

Yep, for my GTR. Sure I've dealt with Tempe before. No problems with them but then the tires have to be fitted in Adelaide - and that's when the drama starts. For some reason, the Dunlops (my preferred tire over the Bridgestones) are more expensive in the US than the Bridgestones. It's the reverse in Australia. After customs, shipping, and fitting, getting the Dunlops on the car is about $3-400 cheaper via self importing. Not worth it 8-/

I stuck with the Bridgestones.

What do you like better about the Dunlops?
Why such a long face?

Offline blackr35

I stuck with the Bridgestones.

What do you like better about the Dunlops?

I found the ride was a little better and the car tram lines less...last the same amount of time though, about 10000 km a set.