Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I'd like to live there for a year, pick up a nice car go through the tunnel and cruise Europe, why aren't I doing that already ? I dunno :scratchchin:

Me too.

If you want to drive in Europe, you are better off renting once you there than taking a RHD car from the UK.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Me too.

If you want to drive in Europe, you are better off renting once you there than taking a RHD car from the UK.

Ok but I thought perhaps you'd pick up something there and be able to bring it back here after a year with a considerable saving but probably too much stuffing around.
I've been sort of following the import a car threads and I think I read that there was no advantage in that any more ,not sure.

Offline carmooch

• Name: George
Me too.

I thought the way AMV did it was pretty great. Shipped his own car off to Europe and joined in on a driving tour...

spent 4 weeks driving around the UK, France, Italy and Switzerland. Did the stelvio and 6 laps of  Le Mans the morning of the race which had been organised by the tour that I was on. The car was sent by sea and was a relatively simple exercise but not cheap. However having your own car and being a roadster was the ultimate experience. The cost of hiring say a Ferrari is approx $20,000 a week so the $9000.00 to ship is cheap. $3800.00 for shipping and driving Insurance needs to be added. Registration stays as Australian with the ability to drive in Europe for up to 6 weeks I believe. I can give you the details of the next trip if you wish which is in September next year, Rome to Goodwood in the UK for the revival. It takes 5 weeks to send the car and 5 weeks back.
A couple of photos to wet your appetite.

http://aussieexotics.com/forum/aston-martin/lowering-vantage-roadster-7199.msg124445.html#msg124445

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I thought the way AMV did it was pretty great. Shipped his own car off to Europe and joined in on a driving tour...

http://aussieexotics.com/forum/aston-martin/lowering-vantage-roadster-7199.msg124445.html#msg124445

Great idea. An Aston owner I know in Adelaide was on a tour like that - probably the same one. I'd be in that in a flash. I'd be on my own though as the missus isn't a good passenger. Probably more fun that way anyway. : p

What about insurance though I wonder? Does Ferrari do the same thing?

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I love the place - you have to remember that tourists are just that - on tour. 

I wasn't talking about the tourists in London... The population I was on about... like i said... it's not English anymore.

Can do a whirlwind 2 days tourist visit to london and come away thinking it's all right.. but go there for 10 days or more and you'll see the true place....

Offline dkabab

I know someone who runs nurburgring trips with your own car if anyones interested. Don't know much about it other than he's run a few in the Past.

Ps: if anyone wants to bring a rare exotic back from Europe via personal import I'd happily live over there for a year sponsored of course.

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Great idea. An Aston owner I know in Adelaide was on a tour like that - probably the same one. I'd be in that in a flash. I'd be on my own though as the missus isn't a good passenger. Probably more fun that way anyway. : p

You've already got a passenger over here lol ;)

Offline carmooch

• Name: George
Shipping and driving insurance was $3,800 according to AMV.

It isn't a car-specific event, anyone can join in. An HSV W427 even came along for that trip, along with a classic Ferrari. (Not sure which though, not good with classic Ferraris.  :tilt:)

The next trip is in September, if you are keen I'm sure AMV can point you in the right direction.  :thumbsup:

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Shipping and driving insurance was $3,800 according to AMV.

The next trip is in September, if you are keen I'm sure AMV can point you in the right direction.  :thumbsup:

Thanks - my mistake. I didn't read it properly. I'll certainly check it out. :)

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

Thanks - my mistake. I didn't read it properly. I'll certainly check it out. :)

Me too................I am really keen to do this...............re-introduce Pepe to his natural homeland!
Always Gunna

Latest Discussions

BOARD TOPIC MEMBER POSTED
[ Porsche ] 991 GT3 RS Aircon Today at 08:44
[ Events ] Mille Miglia SiFi Today at 08:34
[ Lamborghini ] Huracan Performante TJB Yesterday at 23:41
[ Ferrari ] The cool Ferrari photo thread anotherforumuser Yesterday at 22:57
[ Off Topic ] Sydney restaurant recommendations psw Yesterday at 21:59
[ Funny Cool Stoopid ] Jokes Joey Yesterday at 20:20
[ Cars ] Investors shack Yesterday at 19:14
[ Off Topic ] $165m ATO Fraud. Heres's a picture of a Gulf GT40. Trainwrex Yesterday at 18:52
[ Funny Cool Stoopid ] it's funny cause i'm drunk!! PA Yesterday at 16:52