Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Share this around to anyone you know who tows trailers or caravans

Offline Lamboboy44

• Drives: Don't have a license
how long has this law been out for?
what is still together after the shit there've been through...
butt cheeks :P

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

how long has this law been out for?

No idea, just thought I'd put it out there in case......

Offline Lamboboy44

• Drives: Don't have a license
No idea, just thought I'd put it out there in case......
so why is it illegal?
what is still together after the shit there've been through...
butt cheeks :P

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

It is not illegal to use non rated D Shackles. Using rated D Shackles just helps you say to the nice Mr Policeman "Get knotted."

This is from a Safe Towing Guide from Queensland.
Safety Chain Connections (Shackles)
TMR requires that “D” Shackles, used to connect a trailer safety chain(s) to the towing vehicle, must have
strength that is compatible with the safety chain (fit for purpose). This can be ensured in a couple of ways:
1. Use of “D” Shackles that comply with AS 2741-2002 “Shackles” and having the appropriate
markings is one way. TMR recommends this method.
2. Another way of ensuring that the “D” Shackle used is of appropriate strength is to select a “D”
Shackle of reputed brand (for example, a towbar manufacturer) so the part has its brand
name/model permanently marked on it.
“D” Shackles that do not have any markings make it difficult to identify there source and strength and may
raise questions during any roadside audit by enforcement officers.
Safety chain strength is specified in terms of minimum Proof Load in kN. Proof load is defined in AS
4177.4-2004 as “The load which chain must be able to withstand, while remaining in service”. D shackle
strength is specified in terms of Working Load Limit (WLL) in kN. Working Load Limit is defined in AS
2741-2002 as “The maximum load that may be applied to the shackle, which may be re-rated for particular
conditions of use”.
As you can see, the definitions for Proof Load and Working Load Limit (WLL) are similar. In other words,
WLL is to D shackle what Proof Load is to safety chain.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Loads-and-towing/Safe-towing.aspx

From South Australia.
"Those who have read the SAPOL Traffic Information Page Tip 11 would be   aware SAPOL have stated that the public should fit rated shackles. DPTI   agrees that this is good advice, but it is not law. Unfortunately the   rules regarding D shackles are not explicit". 

http://www.goseeaustralia.com.au/article/901/National_rules_short_on_specifics_but_South_Australian_police_urge_rated_shackles_for_towing_safety/

Just another Internet myth.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

It's been law in Victoria since early last year.........

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

It is recommended by Vicroads to use rated D Shackles but it's not law. They are still using ADR's from 2009. It is being worked on at the moment to include the D Shackles in the rating but it is not yet law.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

It is recommended by Vicroads to use rated D Shackles but it's not law. They are still using ADR's from 2009. It is being worked on at the moment to include the D Shackles in the rating but it is not yet law.

Well, you tell the Cops that, they are issuing $235.00 fine and 3 demerit points if you do not have one..........

They have been enforcing it since about August last year.

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

I tow my trailer into Victoria often so I called Vicroads and eventually got to a person who checked the act. Ask a cop to see if they can quote the act number.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I tow my trailer into Victoria often so I called Vicroads and eventually got to a person who checked the act. Ask a cop to see if they can quote the act number.

Hmmmmmmm, that is interesting...........that means they have been issuing fines illegally then.......