Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Here's one I found in SA earlier this year. It is at Narrung on Lake Albert. I'd like to go and see if it is still there. It is on a road to nowhere :)

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

It is on a road to nowhere :)

Is that like going nowhere.......FAST!!!!!!     :p

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Is that like going nowhere.......FAST!!!!!!     :p

Thanks for the bump. I'll map it to see if I can get some interest happening in a run. It wil make a great pic if still there. :)

Offline 986986

• Drives: 997.2 S PDK; '12 Cayenne Diesel (family bus)
There is a great no speed limit area outside of Bangalow just inland from Byron as well... takes you up to the back of the Tweed... epic sweeping corners, off camber nasties that get your attention and high speed avenues that are like a green tunnel because the subtropic rainforest reaching forever into the sky..... absolutely stunning!......

Offline Keepleft

• Name: Old and cranky
This road sign is owned by the UN and is legal administrator of it, its use has always been 'optional' by states parties.  Its meaning is held in the "UN Convention on Road Traffic, Road Signs and Signals", and has a history dating back to the League of Nations circa 1922.  Many countries teach their drivers about the sign, but don't necessarily use it domestically.

CONVENTION:-
Sign:  C,17(a) "END OF ALL LOCAL PROHIBITIONS IMPOSED ON MOVING VEHICLES".   (Categories of driver, eg L, P platers, AND categories of vehicle can remain speed limited once on a derestricted road, eg; heavy trucks, caravans).

A sign C,17(b)  is the "END SPEED-LIMIT" sign.  It appears almost the same as the derestriction, but within the circle and its diagonal bar/s are numerals representing the ceasing speed-limit.  With the C,17(b) a 'default' (typically rural) speed restriction will typically apply.  (So each is similar but legally different, at law).

AS1742.4 of 1999 has the speed derestriction cataloged as an "R4-2 speed derestriction" sign, and its meaning (think - 'under another law of this jurisdiction' at ARR 25); "that no speed limit applies beyond the sign".  This date edition of AS1742.4 complies with UN Convention, an edition circa 1984-1999 did not - it read 'rural default' applied.  Not permitted under the legal contract so change was made to correct AS1742.4 to bring it inline with the rest of the world team.  Even earlier editions did comply with the legal owner.

AS1742.4 Edition 2008 has simply removed ALL reference to the R4-2 speed derestriction sign.  This is an attempt by leftist academia (Monash), and certain state road agency staffers who are each on the committee overseeing the AS; to prevent any future road agency, or elected government - by way of 'policy' from using speed derestriction signs once again.

So, C,17(a) is our R4-2 (rem not existing in the current AS1742.4).

AND

C,17(b) is our R4-12, EXCEPT our End Speed Limit sign hasthe english word, eg; "END 50", and is not symbolic.  (Dumb really, Australian road safety 'experts' have no place designing road signage).  BUT-  the intent between each is much the same; that a rural default generally applies, and the AUS unique design version 'R4-12' sign can only be used where a rural default is so regulated.

NT CLP are reintroducing speed derestriction to certain highways.  I am proposing derestriction signage, with the plate "DRIVE TO CONDITIONS" at NT border entry points, in similar fashion to this NSW example.
http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/08/12/253241_ntnews.html
BUY A 'Euro' SPEC HAZARD-WARNING TRIANGLE FOR YOUR CAR - FOR USE AT BREAKDOWNS AND CRASH SCENES

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Apart from being very good at quoting other stuff, who are you?

How is it that you're proposing signage - are you some type of computer literate politician ??? ... if that's the case I have a hat to eat.   :)
C'mon, do it!

Offline Keepleft

• Name: Old and cranky
I am a mysterious caped crusader on a mission:-)

Been an advocate (with and against GovCo's) a very long time on things road user related, I am a Europhile in land transport matters and I've worked with those quoted items, some text of which is mine:-)

The sign proposal is appropriate - to help clarify and remind (//) intent to Mr & Mrs Australia, and world tourist market who visit NT.

http://www.countryliberals.org.au/index.php?id=48&mediaId=2748
BUY A 'Euro' SPEC HAZARD-WARNING TRIANGLE FOR YOUR CAR - FOR USE AT BREAKDOWNS AND CRASH SCENES

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession