Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I've been shopping for quotes on the 458.  The one company that mentioned a tracker didn't get a chance to tell me about the premium.  I'm doing my bit.

Side note - WRS comes recommended by Jamezilla, and if they think it's worth enough business they'll be a sponsor:

https://aussieexotics.com/forum/driving/help-with-insurance-please-8137.msg118079.html#msg118079

:D

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
Side note - WRS comes recommended by Jamezilla, and if they think it's worth enough business they'll be a sponsor:

https://aussieexotics.com/forum/driving/help-with-insurance-please-8137.msg118079.html#msg118079

:D

probably a bit late for me, but maybe... I reckon Ive had half the brokers and insurance companies in Australia tied up at some stage this week working out quotes ...... insurance is annoying me so much Ive thought about not buying another car and picking up 5 SimworX simulators and having drive days with friends on them instead  :D

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
... thought about ... picking up 5 SimworX simulators and having drive days with friends on them instead  :D

Well - the guy involved many of us here know too. :D

https://aussieexotics.com/forum/gadgets-and-technology/video-games-3076.msg114940.html#msg114940

Offline Rickjames

If you were driving at 10kmh over the limit at the time of any accident they will have a record of it and you wont have insurance.

Please excuse my ignorance here, but I was unaware that speeding violated car insurance. Drinking driving yes, but speeding? The closest thing I can find on a NRMA policy is this;

If, at the time of an incident:
you or the driver of your vehicle or a
substitute vehicle were engaged in a wilful
or reckless act while driving the vehicle.

I don't think this covers speeding, surely if speeding violated insurance they would word it stronger then this.

Maybe I'm in the dark....

Edit:
P.S Don't most cars keep record of speeds anyway? When a major event happens (air bags deployed etc) would cars these days take a snap shot of the speed on the cars ecu?

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

If, at the time of an incident:
you or the driver of your vehicle or a
substitute vehicle were engaged in a wilful
or reckless act while driving the vehicle.

I don't think this covers speeding, surely if speeding violated insurance they would word it stronger then this.

Maybe I'm in the dark....

Edit:
P.S Don't most cars keep record of speeds anyway? When a major event happens (air bags deployed etc) would cars these days take a snap shot of the speed on the cars ecu?

a written off 70s muscle car will have no recorded information, when fitted with a data logger to comply with obtaining insurance, it will.... what your policy says today wont be the same once your car is fitted with THEIR data logger, THEY will own it and own the right to use the information on it for insurance purposes.

What will happen is once the fitment of the data logger is part of you accepting insurance with them, the policy will start to contain statements that say you are covered if you are lawfully driving your car at the time of the accident. If that data logger shows you were speeding or drifting, they will instantly be able to deny your claim.

So what you have on your policy now doesnt matter, its what will be added to that policy one you have your new "SAFETY - anti theft" data logger fitted and youve signed and agreed for that to happen.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
I remember seeing an Audi TT that smashed at over 180km/hr, the airbags deployed and the speedo stopped at about 7000rpm and 180km/hr. Easy way to tell how fast the car was going at impact
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline dkabab

and just like every truck with a speed limiter in it.... im sure it wont take long before they are "removed"

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

So what you have on your policy now doesnt matter, its what will be added to that policy one you have your new "SAFETY - anti theft" data logger fitted and youve signed and agreed for that to happen.

Notice I called it a Safety- anti theft data logger.... did you notice that speed cameras changed names to become safety cameras?

Down the road in the name of Safety, the police will eventually have the governement bring in laws saying that the insurance companies will have to report any speeds recorded in excess of 10kmh over the speed limit and they will be able to charge you with that offense... this is the first step to the big brother governments that you saw in the futuristic movies from the 70s and it will be brought in though the back door by car insurance so the Government doesnt look guilty. What it will then also allow is for the Govt to know at all times where your car is, no matter what youre doing. If youre car is being pursued by Police they will be able to track it via your data logger.

Can you see where data loggers lead to, not just car insurance but the back door to becoming a Big Brother country?

Unlike the truck speed limiters, these are also locators and constantly send data to the insurance companies, if you disconnect it and have an accident, you wont be covered by insurance. They can and will write that into your policy and if youre in an ambulance on the way to hospital you wont be able to just wire it back up.

Offline j15

I remember seeing an Audi TT that smashed at over 180km/hr, the airbags deployed and the speedo stopped at about 7000rpm and 180km/hr. Easy way to tell how fast the car was going at impact

At 180 its fair to say that a driver was going fast, but its not always accepted that whatever speed that the needle jams on is actually how fast you were going (i.e. it can be taken to be an indication, but not an accurate one). Therefore if you crashed and the needle stuck on 130, its not conclusive evidence that you were over 110. My knowledge of this comes from reading a few expert reports on investigations into fatal accidents.

More to the point though, this is becoming even less relevant as manufacturers switch to digital speedometers (like the 458).

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend
  • I am legend in my own lunchbox

• Drives: Everyone Crazy
  • Name: Dean
  • www: Intellitrac.com.au
Any one need a tracker

Support your Site Sponsor! :)

As thefts or claims increase then insurance companies make trackers mandatory.

Then customers shop for insurance elsewhere

Insurance companies lose market share

Insurance companies no longer make tracker mandatory

Take it from me...As a site sponsor many of you will know trackers are my business.

Stolen Vehicle tracking is less that 1% of our turn over.
We don't even bother promoting it any more.

Go to www.intellitrac.com.au  for more information.

SVT is under solutions  or products section.

We have products for exotics, now approved by many of the manufacturers.
They are extremely non intrusive to the vehicle electrics and approved by many manufacturers.

I am on business in PNG  and will offer a good discount to AE members on my return next week.

Dean

Persistence Beats Resistance