Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
why is no one including service costs in the running of a car?? The tesla would win that hands down.

$240 a year and it's optional anyway.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
$240 a year and it's optional anyway.

Huge savings compared to AN ICE vehicle, but everyone overlooks and and compares "fuel" consumption only
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline psw

• Keep smiling

I would point out that Tesla claims the $5500 (?) savings over the typical 5yr ownership and NOT as the annual savings.

I ran the numbers myself a while back. The Model S costs circa 25% of what it costs to run my Range Rover at 12.5 ltrs/100km @ $1.45 per litre. I factored the Model S electricity cost at 26c per kW from memory. A full charge is about $22.10 at those rates and it will take me about 430km.

Now those figures are for users who actually pay for electricity. I don't because I have a 20kW solar system with 48kw/h of battery storage.
So I am saving at least $7k a year running 2 Teslas for "free" and not paying for power at home.
I run a 60kw solar system at work with 48kwH of storage.  That  saves me about $40k a year of electricity at current prices. I worked it out earlier this week with the increased prices and was rather surprised.
Probably costs even less than that Scott if you set your Tesla charging to commence at 10pm as I do, when electricity only costs just under 11c per kWh  :)
Keep Smiling

Offline diabloinoz

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Diablo 6.0
I would point out that Tesla claims the $5500 (?) savings over the typical 5yr ownership and NOT as the annual savings.

I ran the numbers myself a while back. The Model S costs circa 25% of what it costs to run my Range Rover at 12.5 ltrs/100km @ $1.45 per litre. I factored the Model S electricity cost at 26c per kW from memory. A full charge is about $22.10 at those rates and it will take me about 430km.

Now those figures are for users who actually pay for electricity. I don't because I have a 20kW solar system with 48kw/h of battery storage.
So I am saving at least $7k a year running 2 Teslas for "free" and not paying for power at home.
I run a 60kw solar system at work with 48kwH of storage.  That  saves me about $40k a year of electricity at current prices. I worked it out earlier this week with the increased prices and was rather surprised.

Never mind the 20% price hikes due in July.

Offline 9911

Guys, why is my car turning off when I have it plugged into slow 12v charge?

It starts charging fine but once the car locks it turns off and green light disappears.

Apologies in advance for the strong rookie question.

Offline 916senna

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Remote controlled battery powered toy

It starts charging fine but once the car locks it turns off and green light disappears.

12v charge? Do you mean 240?

Do you end up with no charge? or does it just appear to not be charging. I always just leave my car so Ive never noticed if the lights stay on or not. I'm pretty sure the dash goes blank after a few minutes.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

12v charge? Do you mean 240?

Do you end up with no charge? or does it just appear to not be charging. I always just leave my car so Ive never noticed if the lights stay on or not. I'm pretty sure the dash goes blank after a few minutes.

The dash turns off pretty much immediately after you close the door and it locks itself.

You can tell if the car is still charging by checking the Tesla phone App.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Are you using an adaptor to charge it from a normal power point or something?
I've only done that once and initially the car failed to charge. After stuffing around a bit I changed to a different power point and away it went............ at a massive 9km per hour of charging, so basically a waste of time. You need to find a 3 phase power point (like an A/C unit or commercial dryer) and use that. Anything else is useless unless you plan to charge overnight or all day.

Offline 916senna

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Remote controlled battery powered toy
Are you using an adaptor to charge it from a normal power point or something?
I've only done that once and initially the car failed to charge. After stuffing around a bit I changed to a different power point and away it went............ at a massive 9km per hour of charging, so basically a waste of time. You need to find a 3 phase power point (like an A/C unit or commercial dryer) and use that. Anything else is useless unless you plan to charge overnight or all day.
He is using the mobile charger, that needs a pretty exy set of adaptors, and be aware they do not fit a lot of 3 phase power points, they must be the 5 pin version. Ive got about 40x 30amp 3 phase points and only 1 worked, the 20 amp one LOL so I'm still slow charging at work

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

He is using the mobile charger, that needs a pretty exy set of adaptors, and be aware they do not fit a lot of 3 phase power points, they must be the 5 pin version. Ive got about 40x 30amp 3 phase points and only 1 worked, the 20 amp one LOL so I'm still slow charging at work

Awesome *sigh*

Now we are a completely EV household for daily drivers I need to sort out a viable set-up for mobile charging where there isn't a destination charger.

Why don't you just install a 3 phase Tesla charging station at work? My three Tesla charging stations that we use came for free; but they are not that expensive as I recall.