Offline Fil-Ski

• Name: Scuderia
Like I said on many occasions.
First to market is no guarantee of success. I believe this will apply to Tesla.
Tesla have not been able to scale like the big boys. They fall short of targets every quarter.
In order to build cars these days you need huge volume across many brands/models to amortize the component costs down (VW/BMW).
The software for self drive cars will be like the Android operating system. Manufacturers will simply license it from third parties. 

1q2w3e4r

I think Telsa is a technology company, i.e. batteries, alt energy rather than cars.

Much in the same way I think that Facebook is / will be seen as an advertising and media content company/platform rather than a "social media platform" in future. 

Offline Fil-Ski

• Name: Scuderia
I think Telsa is a technology company, i.e. batteries, alt energy rather than cars.

Much in the same way I think that Facebook is / will be seen as an advertising and media content company/platform rather than a "social media platform" in future.
If Tesla was a technology company wouldn't it be able to scale like one?

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

If Tesla was a technology company wouldn't it be able to scale like one?

I see tesla being similar to LG, Samsung etc.

Technology + manufacturing

Facebook is a media company. Advertising is necessary for revenue.

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Like I said on many occasions.
First to market is no guarantee of success. I believe this will apply to Tesla.
Tesla have not been able to scale like the big boys. They fall short of targets every quarter.
In order to build cars these days you need huge volume across many brands/models to amortize the component costs down (VW/BMW).
The software for self drive cars will be like the Android operating system. Manufacturers will simply license it from third parties.

Tesla's customer advocacy is epic, if they can somehow keep up that momentum to become an apple, then there is still a premium price, brand-loyal market. They keep partnering with unexpected beasts too - I can't really recall anything interesting from panasonic for the average punter, but given they are partners in the tesla battery giga-factory they're relevant again.

You have a fair point on scale - but this needs to be tied to speed. When Samsung says they have a leap ahead in battery technology, then (exploding phones aside) every automaker gets a massive R&D bonus. Interesting though that they can demo the tech today and they still think it'll be 10 years before the traditional auto industry can adopt/roll out.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/09/samsung-ev-battery-offers-500km-range-with-20-minutes-of-charge/

C'mon, do it!

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

Not yet.

360c - did u do it. if not - BAD decision buddy :(

I am calling Tesla at $330 a share before year end - BIG call !!!

Very simple the minute the first Model 3's roll off the production line the share will go nuts - So as long as Musk can get close to his delivery date - its on !!!!

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
360c - did u do it. if not - BAD decision buddy :(

I am calling Tesla at $330 a share before year end - BIG call !!!

Very simple the minute the first Model 3's roll off the production line the share will go nuts - So as long as Musk can get close to his delivery date - its on !!!!

No; but I have been watching.
The Model 3 won't be all roses for Tesla as there will be
 Mt Everest  scale problems in manufacturing those in the volumes factored into the share price.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
No; but I have been watching.
The Model 3 won't be all roses for Tesla as there will be
 Mt Everest  scale problems in manufacturing those in the volumes factored into the share price.

I see the problem with the 3 being the steep climb in price from a bare bones car vs a half decent spec.

I'm expecting I won't proceed with a model 3  because it will likely be 100k when I spec it.

For $100k  I'd rather keep my existing econobox and have a decent weekender