Linked Events

• Jul 1-10 - Vic - Melbourne Motor Show: Fri, 01 Jul, 2011 - Sun, 10 Jul, 2011

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
The mule looks tiny compared to the guys, looks a lot smaller than a 458. No wonder they are talking light weight, it has no size.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

The mule looks tiny compared to the guys, looks a lot smaller than a 458. No wonder they are talking light weight, it has no size.

They saved space by not bothering with some of the usual fittings - like an engine. 

Offline eddievanhalen

• Drives: 2010 jaguar xkr
A belated post re the motor show.   I haven't bothered with motor shows for years but thought I've give my little 3yo son a taste so we went in and had a good day.   I also had an interest in checking out some of the 4WDs ,including the Range Rover Evoque and Audi Q7 in case we decide to upgrade the wife's RX 350.    Both vehicles mentioned were nice (the Evoque is particularly fresh in the looks dept but lacking in rear space for families , even in the 4 door) but can't see enough of a step up to warrant the extra bucks.

I took plenty of photos but was restricted to one handed shots with a small Canon digital while the little fella dragged me to every car in site with the other.

The Jaguar XKR was the hardest car to get near , only because it was the only car of that ilk available for people to have a sit in.  The XKR-S (like the Maseratis and Lambos) was off limits to the general public but actually doesn't do much for me - looks like a HSV Jaguar.

There wasn't anything to really get me raving but it was nice to see things like the LF-A closer up (better in the flesh) ,  the Mazda Shinari was pretty cool for a Mazda ,  the Grancabrio came up nice but like my other experiences with the Granturismo range it looks like too much of a barge.  The Evoque was a standout in the 4WD dept but too small in the rear (according to the missus anyway) .   

I won't bother posting photos , other than a couple of self indulgent photos of my son terrorising salesmen everywhere and at the wheel of a $400,000 XJ Supersports and a Range Rover Autobiography.  Actually - just one of the Shinari just to increase the quality a bit  :o

If anyone is interested in a particular vehicle at the show , I have some snaps of:

Mazda Shinari concept
C63 coupe in white
G Class 4WD
SLS Gullwing
CLS 63 in red
Aventador
Grancabrio in red
Grantusimo MC Stradale
Granturismo in graphite (forgotten all the Grigio blah blah blah.......)
Lexus LF-Gh
Lexus LF-A
Range Rover Evoque
XKR
XKR-S
XFR in black (rear only)
VW Wiggles car
Audi electric concept (forgotten model name)
Audi R8 5.2 quattro
Toyota FT-86 II concept
Mercedes (classic) Gullwing

Cheers,

Ed

Offline adam01

^^^^^^

eddie

Did u check out the new Touareg SUV?

Offline eddievanhalen

^^^^^^

eddie

Did u check out the new Touareg SUV?

Hey Adam - funnily enough that was my favourite looker outside of the Evoque.  By the time I was looking at that the wife had met me in there and she reckoned (once again) it was too small in the back and I'm pretty sure it was a decent step down in that department.  But yes..............based on looks I would prefer the Touareg to the Q5 or Q7 , especially from the front. Very sharp and stylish.

I find it hard to find a great reason to dump the original RX-350.  It's been solid as a rock, looks good and doesn't lack for anything essential.   The new RX-350 has been ruined , mostly on the inside.    ML's don't interest me for some reason and I can't take BMW interiors.

Like almost all vehicles from the VW group (top to bottom) I find the interiors high quality but sterile and boring compared to the exterior (for those I like anyway) and the Touareg and the Q5/7 are the same.   Assuming I can't make the Evoque work I think the answer (if I could justify the spend) would be a Q7 with some custom interior options and throw in the V12 diesel  :D

Offline Ballypinball

• Drives: My Wife around the bend with all my Cars
Go buy the jeep overland Under $70k on the road and nothing comes close to power features etc under 100k

Offline eddievanhalen

Go buy the jeep overland Under $70k on the road and nothing comes close to power features etc under 100k

Cheers mate -  now you mention it I do remember thinking to check out the Jeep 70th Anniversary Grand Cherokee........subject to quality of interior fit and a test drive it does look quite impressive for the price and is easy enough on the eye. A bit of a brute with that 5.7L Hemi but from what I can gather Fiat (if it's not a contradiction in terms) have supposedly improved the quality/reliability of Jeep markedly.  As you say - drive away new for around 70k and looks reasonably fresh and modern compared to most of the competition.