Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Just planting a seed here for 2013...

Went to the Longford Revival in Tassie this weekend. Longford for those that dont know was where the F1 GP was long before Adelaide and Melbourne. I know some of the Bowden/Pooley/Calleja/Et al collections come out all around the place, however, this event is growing as can be seen by some awesome cars on display including both a genuine 1965 AC Cobra 427 and a 1963 AC Cobra 289. For the bogan in all of us Dick Johnson drove "Tru Blu" and Jim Richards the Brock A9X. John Bowe was at the wheel of a 458 and the ex Brock (?) 66 Corvette Chevy plus there was ex Le Mans cars, Targa cars and just lots of really special stuff on static display. There is also a food and wine festival with bands and old video playing on a big screen, however I didn't really take notice as it was a dedicated "car day" credit weekend.

Highlight is the "Flying Mile" where a "demonstration event" is held on the old Longford straight. A radar gun however is involved as is a test of the drivers balls, confidence, car control and ability (no HK street racing ability required).

This year with the V8 Supertaxi's at Symonns Plains next weekend Gary Rogers Motorsport brought Greg Ritter and a couple of transporters down early to do runs on the mile and entertain the crowds. There were only a couple of cars that managed 250km/h+ on the first Saturday run (it was cold .. snowing at my place when I left early Sat morning). Things got quicker over the weekend with atleast 3 runs a day, plus more if you wanted to take passengers on joyrides ($75) during the breaks.

Anywho ... there was lots of stuff missing from the Flying Mile that should of been there (AMG anything for starters). No idea what is involved, no idea what the cost. The event is held in farmland which means you need to drive on dirt for short periods of time and unless you employ someone with waterless carwash (AKA Shannons), your car will get dust on it.

This event wants to become the Southern Hemispheres "Goodwood" and while it is now under the control of Octagon I can see potential.

Like I said ... just planting a seed

Good idea.  It would be good to get something happening around that.  Sadly, there probably aren't enough adventurers on the forum to make it happen though.

On my way to the airport on Friday arvo I saw a blue Daytona heading back into Launceston with mud up the sides. Was there one out there that maybe went out a day early?
I saw DJ in the airport when I got back down here today...

The David McKay Rally for old Ferraris was on in Tassie last week.