Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Anyone going this year?  There might be an opportunity to sneak a quick trip. Any tips from any who have been?

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

Offline tdc911

Anyone going this year?  There might be an opportunity to sneak a quick trip. Any tips from any who have been?

90% likely to miss this year, which I am spewing about as the GT40s at Pebble Beach are going to be mega. My main advice would have been to plan ahead as there are so many events (with many clashing and a lot already sold out) and the traffic is absolutely horrendous.

The usual itinerary for me is:
Friday - Sunday: Pre-Historics at Laguna Seca
Monday: Canepa Motorsports, Monterey Aquarium
Tuesday: Quail Rally, Carmel Concours on the Avenue
Wednesday: RM-Sothebys Auction Preview, Gooding auction preview, Mecum Auction preview, Gordon McCall's Motorworks Revival
Thursday: Pebble Beach Tour D'Elegance, Bonhams Auction Preview, The Quail Motorsports Gathering Preview, Monterey Historics Group Photo, Ferrari Casa Carmel, Rick Cole Auction preview
Friday: The Quail Motorsports Gathering, Werks Reunion, Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca, Exotics on Cannery Row, RM Auction
Saturday: Concorso Italiano, Monterey Historics, Gooding or RM auction
Sunday: Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance, Gooding & Co Auction

Plus trying to fit in visiting all the manufacturer's suites / previews etc, photoshoots on 17 mile drive, Spanish Bay etc

Edit: Saturday night - drop towel off at Pebble Beach to secure spot around podium
        Sunday morning: 4:30am at Pebble Beach for Dawn Patrol

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

so quick "in and out" not advised then ?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Think of it as a taster with some driving thrown in. It still sounds like more fun than a week in the office. :p

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

90% likely to miss this year, which I am spewing about as the GT40s at Pebble Beach are going to be mega. My main advice would have been to plan ahead as there are so many events (with many clashing and a lot already sold out) and the traffic is absolutely horrendous.

The usual itinerary for me is:
Friday - Sunday: Pre-Historics at Laguna Seca
Monday: Canepa Motorsports, Monterey Aquarium
Tuesday: Quail Rally, Carmel Concours on the Avenue
Wednesday: RM-Sothebys Auction Preview, Gooding auction preview, Mecum Auction preview, Gordon McCall's Motorworks Revival
Thursday: Pebble Beach Tour D'Elegance, Bonhams Auction Preview, The Quail Motorsports Gathering Preview, Monterey Historics Group Photo, Ferrari Casa Carmel, Rick Cole Auction preview
Friday: The Quail Motorsports Gathering, Werks Reunion, Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca, Exotics on Cannery Row, RM Auction
Saturday: Concorso Italiano, Monterey Historics, Gooding or RM auction
Sunday: Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance, Gooding & Co Auction

Plus trying to fit in visiting all the manufacturer's suites / previews etc, photoshoots on 17 mile drive, Spanish Bay etc

Edit: Saturday night - drop towel off at Pebble Beach to secure spot around podium
        Sunday morning: 4:30am at Pebble Beach for Dawn Patrol

Thanks for the comprehensive wrap. :thumbsup:

Offline tdc911

I am always going to say from a spectacle and social/networking point of view that Monterey Week is worth it. However, given the exorbitant accommodation rates and current ticket prices for some of the headline events, from a value for money standpoint it probably no longer is. As mhh indicated, it is way more fun than a week in the office and the first visit I did was on the fly - which turned out incredibly. There is some great driving with amazing scenery and you will have the opportunity to sample the latest offerings from all of the prestige manufacturers.

The way I do Monterey week is always frantic so I can see and photograph as many cars and events as possible. However, it is possible to have as rewarding and enjoyable an experience by just cruising around and having a more laid back attitude. I always run in to Trent S over there, so I would probably talk to him for any advice and then I would hit up Aimee Shackelford on Facebook to get any ideas from the Fuel Run.

Offline tdc911

I see that there is currently a fire in Garrapata State Park which could be a bit of an issue.

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

Think of it as a taster with some driving thrown in. It still sounds like more fun than a week in the office. :p
True

I like your attitude

Offline tdc911

I see that there is currently a fire in Garrapata State Park which could be a bit of an issue.

The Pebble Beach Tour d’Elegance, scheduled to take place on Thursday, August 18, has been rerouted to avoid any possibility that it might hinder firefighters in their efforts to fight the wildfire now burning in the Ventana wilderness to the east of Big Sur. The revised route will limit the use of public roads, avoiding Highway One, Carmel Valley Road and the Highway 68 corridor wherever possible. Here is what you need to know about the Revised Tour:
 The Tour will begin at 9 am, not 8 am, on August 18.
 The Tour route will cover 37 scenic miles—about half the length of our normal tour—on local roads with speeds that average about 30 miles per hour. (Regrettably, we cannot include nearby highways where cars can get up to higher speeds.) The Tour will still pause for lunch on Ocean Avenue in Carmel from 11:30 am to 2 pm. Because we know that some cars (particularly race cars) may not function well on this abbreviated route and may have to withdraw because of that, we are removing the normal judging advantage for the Concours gained by cars that complete the Tour.