Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
They could only get drivers in the stage - no jurisdiction outside the stages. They had to find a way to slow drivers down and I was silly enough to ignore their warnings. Another driver was fined $1000.

TT is no longer but Regularity allows the same speed (without cage). Check the Targa website for details as I'm sketchy on it.

Thank you..
May the Horse be with you....

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
One year Vesty brought his 250GTO. I'll never forget that car.
The general public is a terrible barometer of taste. Trust your own sensibilities.

Offline tdc911

Offline JBO

The general public is a terrible barometer of taste. Trust your own sensibilities.

Offline dkabab

some old photos from the "ferrari year" '04 or '05 maybe

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
some old photos from the "ferrari year" '04 or '05 maybe

A few Ferrari pics from '06.

Offline TomE

I remember over hearing at a lunch stop the officials trying to work out what to do about the speeds the H K Ferrari owners were doing on and off the special stages. Magic times.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Magic times.

Looking back, you are right.  One year they had a focus on Porsche and there were factory cars, private tourists and at least one Carerra GT running.  This is what the event should be. David Edwards might have made mistakes but he was good at getting the interesting cars here.

Offline JBO

Dunno if anyone agrees with me but I thought a great way to get a bit more media traction around the current targa event would be to draw one really big international name here in a great car.

I am thinking pie in the sky here but what about if Eric Clapton came out in one of his Ferraris? Or even Jay Kay in his purple 73RS or Miura? Mark Webber in his GT2 RS? Even someone like Eric Bana perhaps?

I'm not saying a gaggle of big names but try and start with one and build from there.

I'd love to see Vesty out here again but I'm unsure if he's even still alive...he was pretty old in 06!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I'd love to see Vesty out here again but I'm unsure if he's even still alive...he was pretty old in 06!

I think he's still going.  He's only about 70.

Here's what his co-driver Doug Nye said about him in 2011.

PV raced E-Type Jaguar, Ferrari 275GTB/C, Ferrari 250LM, Porsche 910 and Porsche 911, plus the late Peter Sadler's Ford GT40 in period. Also entered Chevron and Porsche 956 cars if I recall correctly. Always maintains that since he would have had to pay for the repair should one of his cars fail, he placed special emphasis upon mechanical sympathy.

With Carlos Gaspar co-driving he won the GT Category at both the 1966 Paris 1,000Kms and the 1967 Monza 1,000Kms, in both instances using the ex-Maranello Concessionaires '66 Le Mans GT Category-winning GTB/C that he retains today. We did several of our 13 consecutive Classic Adelaide Rallies in this car.

He learned about the family meat business in the slaughter houses of Buenos Aires - yes really - before making early career choice to become self-unemployed. V. knowledgeable all-round enthusiast, good man, good driver. Forty years married (Lady Anne) - three luvverly daughters (each of whom is good fun). Has for many years followed a rigid fitness plan, involving energetic avoidance of all exercise. Nobody's mug.
DCN

Re Eric Clapton, Jay Kay etc - the rally isn't sexy enough any more (if it ever was) to get these guys interested.  But with a really charismatic and enthusiastic promoter, you never know what it could do.  But it needs to be a rally for classic cars only to be really cool - and that's a big ask at the other end of the world.