Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
hit nail head Mark, the wall at turn 7 on PI in the Lola was a wake up alarm I didn't listen to, this event was the wake up call and this time it rang loud and clear.

Never let ambitions get in the way of capabilities

Ok...I've never done it, so I could be totally talking out of my arse, but if I really wanted to race, but was nervous, I'd just drive at a pace that I'm comfortable at.....although having said that, Mt Panorama wouldn't be my choice of where to start!...too easy to get in people's way.

Don't be disheartened BG. Fear is caused by lack of knowledge. Do lots of practice so that you're comfy with the car, then try again. I reckon you probably had too many "first times" going on with this one.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
Ok...I've never done it, so I could be totally talking out of my arse, but if I really wanted to race, but was nervous, I'd just drive at a pace that I'm comfortable at.....although having said that, Mt Panorama wouldn't be my choice of where to start!...too easy to get in people's way.

Don't be disheartened BG. Fear is caused by lack of knowledge. Do lots of practice so that you're comfy with the car, then try again. I reckon you probably had too many "first times" going on with this one.

PP, the firsts for the weekend were:
never driven a cup car
never seen Bathurst
never driven at 270
never braked where my eyeballs were protruding from my head

the difference to the 430
aero
The 430 has a wider front than rear, it has a sort of hand of god holding on the road (ASR)

I've decided its not for old dudes like me, and yes you're correct on driving at own pace but its hard at Bathurst given from the cutting to forest elbow if you hold your line and drive slowly you are holding people up. Then you get someone who thinks they can pass on a corner when no one in 50 years has made a pass...meh
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline adam01

Nice speaking with u Brenton,

U certainly picked the hardest track and difficult conditions to cut yr teeth on but still managed an admirable result.

After watched the in car footage of the downpour up at the top  -( at the time I thought it was premature to abandoned given wets are part of the tyre complement)  in hindsight correct decision by the race director IMO as safety was paramount 

Cheers

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver

Nice speaking with u Brenton,

U certainly picked the hardest track and difficult conditions to cut yr teeth on but still managed an admirable result.

After watched the in car footage of the downpour up at the top  -( at the time I thought it was premature to abandoned given wets are part of the tyre complement)  in hindsight correct decision by the race director IMO as safety was paramount 
[/size]
Cheers

and you adam, was a pleasure to meet a friend from the inter webs ..........you could probably tell i didn't realise when standing out front of pits bays I was throwing up.......porsche noticed it, doc was ready with a jelco to shove in my arm then she thought that would look really good giving me a fluid drip before a race...not
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
You did a great job Goober..  :thumbsup:

You tested yourself and even though you scared yourself sick you did bloody well and lived to tell the story.

Grab a used GT3 cup car and have some fun at state and club level and you'll be reasonably safe and still have your fill of your need for speed. YOLO We were born to have fun, no other reason for living. Ferrari track cars seem to give as much heartache as they do fun. Get yourself a Porsche track car, they seem to be a better bang for your buck.

https://www.my105.com/Classifieds/k/GT3

Offline adam01

You did a great job Goober..  :thumbsup:

You tested yourself and even though you scared yourself sick you did bloody well and lived to tell the story.

Grab a used GT3 cup car and have some fun at state and club level and you'll be reasonably safe and still have your fill of your need for speed. YOLO We were born to have fun, no other reason for living. Ferrari track cars seem to give as much heartache as they do fun. Get yourself a Porsche track car, they seem to be a better bang for your buck.

https://www.my105.com/Classifieds/k/GT3

this one i'm familiar with - price negotiable

https://www.my105.com/ListingDetails/p/1/k/GT3/id/15396

Offline Simonoz

• Drives: Old 911's and V8's
As I sit on the back of my boat in sunny Fremantle watching the sunset and reading your comments regarding Bathurst Goober, Id like to commend you on having a go. I followed your progress all week via facebook and AE and really enjoyed sharing the experience from afar. If you have had enough so be it. I fully understand your sentiments, as I feel the same after every tarmac rally. The balance between competing and surviving seems to change as one gets older, despite ones best efforts to avoid it. I hope you reconcile how you feel after a bit of a break, and regardless of the outcome, congratulations to you on giving it an almighty crack.

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

You did a great job Goobs and should be very proud of what you achieved, you couldn't pick a harder circuit to debut in a Cup Car.  Like many I thank you for sharing your journey (you lived my dream).  Thank you too to Simon, who always fills us in.  I'm nowhere near at your level of experience but can relate to the nerves.  I'm well known for many toilet stops before a race!  I just can't control my nerves either.

I still dream to race one of those Cup Cars at some point in my life (not at that level, just the GT3 Challenge Series) but it's sounding like I'm running out of years to get there based on your comments re-age.  I'm 50 in 2 years so hopefully I can get my project at work going soon.

Out of interest Goober, you mentioned you spent a lot of time on the simulator prior to Bathurst, did that help at all or was it a waste of time?

Just my opinion, but, I wouldn't throw the towel in yet though Goobs, perhaps stick with the State racing for a while.  You seemed to really enjoy that and were doing so well.

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver

You did a great job Goobs and should be very proud of what you achieved, you couldn't pick a harder circuit to debut in a Cup Car.  Like many I thank you for sharing your journey (you lived my dream).  Thank you too to Simon, who always fills us in.  I'm nowhere near at your level of experience but can relate to the nerves.  I'm well known for many toilet stops before a race!  I just can't control my nerves either.

I still dream to race one of those Cup Cars at some point in my life (not at that level, just the GT3 Challenge Series) but it's sounding like I'm running out of years to get there based on your comments re-age.  I'm 50 in 2 years so hopefully I can get my project at work going soon.

Out of interest Goober, you mentioned you spent a lot of time on the simulator prior to Bathurst, did that help at all or was it a waste of time?

Just my opinion, but, I wouldn't throw the towel in yet though Goobs, perhaps stick with the State racing for a while.  You seemed to really enjoy that and were doing so well.

Brettski, thanks. The simulator is ok for learning the basics of corners, it doesn't give you elevation or deceleration effects. What you learn on a simulator is good but nothing compared to the real thing, going down conrod at anything over 270kph is fast, the road narrows and once you get use to the speed its pretty easy (except for the bumps)
The parts I loved were mountain straight, turn 2, cutting, turn 4 and 5 at Reid Park and the downhill esses, big dipper. The top I didn't like because I just don't know it well enough.
You should do it Brett, i'm 6 years older than you and pulling a what I would call a decent time after doing all up 40 laps you could easily do it. Pick a team you are comfortable with and have a crack. I would still love to take the 430 around but I love the car too much to push hard, in the end, if I go back to state rounds I'll be happy with that, the AMF will be easy this week.................................except when I went to get in the 430 yesterday my mechanic said I looked sick.....nearly threw up again....in the words of Roger...giddy up. Get on the horse and go for a cruise.