Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
A big thanks to Al and uber.biz again for the opportunity to wear out, err, I mean test another car from the uber fleet.

With the Ferrari 360 having been in the workshop having all sorts of upgrades done, this was the first time it's seen a track for many months.  But all went well.   :thumbsup:

The only problem for the day was the strong gusty wind.  Sadly it means any trackside photos I took look mostly like this:   :?

But as usual there was plenty on display, all slightly more sheltered from the wind luckily.

The V12 Vantage was a highlight, but a passenger ride in the Elfin MS8 gave me heaps of respect for that too.

Full album:
http://www.flamestone.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=4&g2_itemId=3305

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

Having recently sorted out my HD camera and universal in-car mount, here for your aural is what a 360 with full titanium exhaust sounds like.

If you don't feel the need to crank up the volume, you probably don't belong here.   :p

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJfJmG9y-Bw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJfJmG9y-Bw</a>

Offline ACP

• Lives in a Metro Tangerine

• Drives: McLaren

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

Sensational video!

Feel like you were there in the passenger seat instead of somewhere else pretending to work?   :D

Offline app

awesome vid, i'll have to remember this the next time i'm bored :p

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Epic! Glad you enjoyed the day mate, thanks for taking care of the 360, last few laps you were mooooving!

Tell us more about the Elfin - live up to it's widowmaker reputation? More pix?
C'mon, do it!

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

Epic! Glad you enjoyed the day mate, thanks for taking care of the 360, last few laps you were mooooving!

Anytime.   :cool:

And yeah that was 4th session, so I was more comfortable to push on a bit.  In the first session I think I barely warmed up the tyres.   :doh:

Tell us more about the Elfin - live up to it's widowmaker reputation? More pix?

I personally love it.  I know it has a bad reputation for being dangerous on the limit...  but that's easy...  we're not racing for sheep stations, so keep away from the limit!

It's also been criticised for being too cramped and not easy to get in/out of.  I rate it no worse than an Elise/Exige, and found the snugness great for keeping me planted in it.

In the Elfin T5 I was flopping around "on it", but this one had me feeling a lot more secure "in it" instead.

The T5 is going to have more mass market appeal, but the MS8 is my pick.

And this particular one does it for me too - AP Racing brake upgrade, exhaust tweak (exhaust note was superb right up to ~6000rpm redline), and a few other thing I can't recall right now.   :thumbsup:

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
hehe... the video was nice.... I was picturing me in the Radical next Friday!  :thumbsup: Handy reminder of which way it all goes! (you were apexing way too early at t1 though ;) )

I like the Elfin paint job...... but damn its front end is fugly. Looks like a fish that's been flopped onto the bank and starving for air/water?

Curious it was in Gulf colours... Gulf MD, and two rather delicious girls, were doing the big promo at Bathurst, looking for outlets and possible sponsor opps...

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

Handy reminder of which way it all goes! (you were apexing way too early at t1 though ;) )

Glad to be of use.   :)

And well spotted - was actually going to pick your brains about that next week.  Not 100% happy with the way it was turning in for that highspeed corner.  But that's not an urgent since it probably won't be back on the track again for a while.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I don't think you were going fast enough for any kind of car problem....

it's just a confidence thing.... you THINK you're being safe and gentle, by getting in tight to the kerb at the point you SEE as the apex, but in fact, the apex is slightly blind, so what you end up doing is compromising your exit speed AND safety.

Those witches hats looked perfectly placed, (as they would and should be)..... turn in at hat, apex at hat, then if you end up exiting in the middle of the road go faster next lap! if you run off the road, go slower!

Of course, saying it and doing it are NOT the same thing! T1 at EC is the 3rd fastest corner in the country (Kink at Bathurst and T1 PIsland faster). It takes a lots of skill and bravery to get it right....

I HOPE to go flat in the radical, but I'll build up to it carefully.  :scared: