Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
All good points, but no it's the way the car turned in.

Could just be a difference between the 360 and the 6 other cars I've had around there, but I figure it's worth exploring just in case there's something that can be done with camber, toe, etc to make it more pin point accurate.

Offline cel

Great vid Shane, brings back some wicked memories!  :thumbsup:  :melting:

The AM V12 looks stunning as well, I saw one here last week, awesome car! Me and my friends are doing a quick roadtrip to Paris again next Friday, focussed on finding the exotics :) (no shopping with the new mrs this time!)

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
All good points, but no it's the way the car turned in.

Could just be a difference between the 360 and the 6 other cars I've had around there, but I figure it's worth exploring just in case there's something that can be done with camber, toe, etc to make it more pin point accurate.

ok, but it seemed to turn ok elsewhere....

But 360 are very pitch sensistive at high speed, so the transistion from driving, to braking and turning, really disturbs the mild but real downforce they generate. That's why the race cars need a wing to compliment the not quite useless floor.

Judging by the early apex, I'd say you were experiencing entry oversteer at that turn... so lowering the rear end (or raising the front) , or adding rear toe in and/or camber would help.

But also left foot braking to balance the power/braking transition is easy to apply and very effective.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

Nailed it!  Entry oversteer is exactly how I'd described it...  just never experienced it before so wasn't 100% sure that was it.

Anyway, it's come to light that the guys had dropped the front 10mm...  so sounds like you've nailed it without even getting my explanation or seeing the car.   Nice work.  :thumbsup:

And yes started left foot braking at 1 and 8 in the later sessions.  Up the hill before 8 settled it really nicely, but 1 never came right.

I look forward to testing it again now that they've brought the front back up...   :drive:

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

Nailed it!  Entry oversteer is exactly how I'd described it...  just never experienced it before so wasn't 100% sure that was it.

Anyway, it's come to light that the guys had dropped the front 10mm...  so sounds like you've nailed it without even getting my explanation or seeing the car.   Nice work.  :thumbsup:

And yes started left foot braking at 1 and 8 in the later sessions.  Up the hill before 8 settled it really nicely, but 1 never came right.

I look forward to testing it again now that they've brought the front back up...   :drive:

Shane...next Burrows day I do we will see if I can take you thru there in the Porsche.....being rear engine, it exagerates the effect you are having on your own driving thru this corner. As Phil said, it is easy to say but after trying to get this corner right so many times, the penny finally dropped as to what effect getting on the brakes too early has on stuffing up this corner and the run to the next one. Most people hit the brakes between the 200 and 100 mtr marks and then have trouble getting back on the gas and watching their line and worrying about going thru such a fast corner and it just doesnt all come together for them.  If you want a good way to learn it and measure your ability to go faster each time....instead of nailing the right foot all the way to your chosen braking marker, ease off a little all the way down the straight....dab the left foot on the brake at your normal braking marker and then turn in for the apex late,  and then gradually get back on the gas until you find that you are flat to the floor at the very end of your exit. You will feel that you have gone way too slow down the straight and thru the corner but you will most likely have got your line right as the slower speed has allowed you to lose the fear and you will be focusing and looking at the exit. Now on the next lap....speed up on the straight just a little bit...seriously...not too much and do everything exactly the same....more success! And now speed up on the straight in incremental amounts until you find you are going faster than you were before but nailing the apex and the exit and carrying way more speed than you were when you were doing it at first!
The beauty of Burrows days is that you can just keep doing this until you get it right unlike Super Sprint days where you get 5 laps and you have to pull a fast one or waste the day. Also, there are a lot of fast but not "racing" fast cars there and you can find a better "speed barometer" by sitting on faster and faster cars tails and watching what they do. This can backfire on you though! I went to a track day where there was guy with an R35 who was the proprietor of less skill than I, but his car was doing, (and succeeding), everything in it's massive armoury of tricks to keep him alive. I tried to see if I could attempt some of his cornering lines only to find that my "nanny free" car was not going to look after me the same way!
Great report and as usual....spectacular pics! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Always Gunna

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

More good points, and exactly the same strategy I used when learning it.

The problem here was turning the 360 in, then it turning a little bit more with no additional input (and by different amounts each time).  Very unsettling!

And I know what you mean about the R35 - I watched the car "fix" numerous issues into and out of corners.   :?

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession

FIGJAPP  :D

Any and every corner can be broken into 3 main sections... entry, mid and exit.... and many corners have transitions therein...

The skill of a driver and his engineer, in racing, is to accurately describe and recognise the area of problem.

The hardest bit is to work out if the problem is worth fixing... often, something perceived as a problem is not costing any lap time.

I have a cheat sheet of tuning tips for cars to fix any problem, honed and fine tuned with input from Bowe, Simonsen, Baird etc, all listed with each car adjustments effect and negative side effect.... On limited lap practice race meets, it's critical to get the car sorted out asap.

Bowe is the master at set up... but he fiddles too much and sometimes juggles too many balls, Simonsen will drive anything you put under him to 100% immediately and will only bother to fix major set up issues, and Baird will sit back and make others do all the hard work!

One of my most memorable laps is as passenger with Simonsen in the 360GT at E Creek... we had old shit tyres on, and just went .... out lap (1.42 from standing start in pit lane) :eye-popping:, 1.35 :argh:, then in lap.

Offline super squalo

• Drives: anything you put petrol in
great pics looks like a good day  :D
try it you may like !!!

Back from the Dead