Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Hey harpoon, good to see you here.

Geez you had that 135 moving on occasion!

But I must have been the only one to not notice that resurfacing given that I was in the M coupe for the first time.

And yes to the skidpan!  When it started raining again in the afternoon I was very tempted to head over there to see if I could butt in - the track was just one big skidpan with slightly closer walls anyway, right?

Offline j15

Who's up for a group booking on the skidpan at EC?

sure, but you're supposed to be looking into that other trackday aswell remember?  :D

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
sure, but you're supposed to be looking into that other trackday aswell remember?  :D
Yes for both uber dude!
Everything looks better in carbon fibre

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
If you put the car in sport mode, it allows SOME wheel spin, but not so much as to get you in trouble.

Spend about $2k with a couple of one on one lessons from a professional driver. It'll save you many $10ks in crash damage. oh, and some pride too. AND you'll then have the talent necessary to run without ASR.
just on ASR, does it burn the clutch whilst its trying not to make wheels spin??
Everything looks better in carbon fibre

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Alrighty then. I'll start a new thread, and we'll get some numbers for a skidpan day with instructors.

Suggest it'll be the format of

- drive the circle - over and understeer
- right and left controlled slides - holding a drift
- autocross in various formats - timed to get a feel for improvements

Last time we did this took a full day, not hard on the cars as you're only going 40-60K's on a slippery surface. Only downside with the 360 is the stupid right headlight fogged up even more than usual.

If we've got a few I'll get it all booked in and people can pay the guys who run the sessions and get the pro drivers for us direct.

And harpoon - definitely good see you out on the track man, say g'day next time  :)
C'mon, do it!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

just on ASR, does it burn the clutch whilst its trying not to make wheels spin??

nope. it gives the rear brakes a hard time though.

As for skid pan.... yeah it's good practice, but to actually learn and remember anything, you'll need some decent one on one lessons.... otherwise all you'll have is a load of fun with your mates... great, but won't teach you much for the time input.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
nope. it gives the rear brakes a hard time though.

As for skid pan.... yeah it's good practice, but to actually learn and remember anything, you'll need some decent one on one lessons.... otherwise all you'll have is a load of fun with your mates... great, but won't teach you much for the time input.

Will ... have ... instructors ... on ... the ... skidpan.....
C'mon, do it!

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Went on a skid pan once, Mercedes drive day but one of those with the frame under the car, I dont imagine it's much like the real thing, wouldn't do it again on a full stomach though.

Same with braking, showed you how progressive braking was far more effective than just standing on brake pedal and relying on ABS, after 10 of those in a row I was ready to puke.

Incredibly progressive braking is far more effective, whether you remember that or not in an emergency situation is another matter.

Offline 355Aussie

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Will ... have ... instructors ... on ... the ... skidpan.....

Come on, he's a mechanic...  you don't expect him to be able to read as well do you?   :D