Linked Events

• McLaren-Mercedes F1 at Bathurst: Tue, 22 Mar, 2011

Offline hydie

It's confirmed - Vodafone McLaren-Mercedes will bring Formula One to Mount Panorama on March 22, when Jenson Button will have a lash at a lap time around the fearsome circuit.

As well, Triple Eight will bring Craig Lowndes and his Team Vodafone Commodore down for a play. The teams did a very similar thing last year at Albert Park, where Button swapped cars with Jamie Whincup.

This is different, though. If you've ever watched a race at Bathurst, you've more than likely idly wondered how fast an F1 car would get around the 6.2km circuit.

It'll certainly present challenges. It's our bet that the team will bring a heavily modified 2010 car, running at maximum ride height and maximum downforce - taking off on Conrod Straight won't be great PR...

Still, the fastest ever lap around the track currently sits at 2min 06.8sec - ironically set by Lowndes during practice for last year's Bathurst 1000 - and we reckon a time in the 1min 45sec range isn't out of the question...

More news as it comes to hand.

http://www.topgear.com/au/car-news/mclaren-f1-around-bathurst

Offline dkabab

Offline Cuso

The action is due to start around 1030 - 1100 and run till 1330. Certainly not to be missed.

From Top Gear UK web site:

Button to tackle Bathurst in F1 car

It's confirmed - Vodafone McLaren-Mercedes will bring Formula One to Mount Panorama on March 22, when Jenson Button will have a lash at a lap time around the fearsome circuit.

As well, Triple Eight will bring Craig Lowndes and his Team Vodafone Commodore down for a play. The teams did a very similar thing last year at Albert Park, where Button swapped cars with Jamie Whincup.

This is different, though. If you've ever watched a race at Bathurst, you've more than likely idly wondered how fast an F1 car would get around the 6.2km circuit.

It'll certainly present challenges. It's our bet that the team will bring a heavily modified 2010 car, running at maximum ride height and maximum downforce - taking off on Conrod Straight won't be great PR...

Still, the fastest ever lap around the track currently sits at 2min 06.8sec - ironically set by Lowndes during practice for last year's Bathurst 1000 - and we reckon a time in the 1min 45sec range isn't out of the question...

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

Will be fascinating to see, i hope it runs properly.

I predict 1.39 or there abouts, if conditions suit.

At Albert park, V8 do ~2 min and F1 do ~ 1.25...

so i think a similar difference will happen, with a little extra loss for the F1 in the tricky spots... but it's gunna kill the V8 up and down the hill, and everywhere really !

Just the cutting, dipper and forest elbow where equality my be nearer.

Offline Cuso

From rumors that are floating around it will be at maximum ride height to get it across the top of the mountain and manximum down force to keep it on the ground heading over the crest into the chase.

Fingers crossed there isn't another mercedes at le mans style accident  :scared:

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Has anyone anywhere seen exact times for this?

I've seen reports that they're expecting up to 20000 spectators...  yet I can't even find a start and end time for the event.   :doh:

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
From unconfirmed sources...

UPDATE 6 March: The F1 event will take place between 10:00am–1:30pm. The itinerary would likely be Lowndes in the McLaren, Button in the V8 Supercar; before the pair swap back into their usual modes of transport. There’ll be a reasonable delay in between while the F1 chaps change seats, pedals and so on.

Green light given to Formula 1 event
Media Release – 17 February 2011

Mount Panorama is set to play host to an historic motor racing event next month, after Council last night gave the green light to a proposal to bring Formula 1 to Bathurst.

On Tuesday, March 22nd there are plans for the mountain to reverberate to the sound of Jenson Button’s Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-26 Formula 1, which will complete a number of laps around the famous circuit.

V8 legend and Team Vodafone driver, Craig Lowndes will take the controls of the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-26 F1, as part of a car swap between Lowndes and Button, organised by Vodafone, the major sponsor of both teams.

Each driver will complete five laps of the circuit in the others’ car, three of which will be at speed. The event is expected to attract thousands of visitors to Bathurst on the day.

I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline beankeen456

I doubt they will take out a MP4-26 maybe last years car.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Yup - looks like merge needed.

But finally got hold of the full details for us.

Hopefully I can arrange to be there with camera in hand.

Offline Cuso

Yup - looks like merge needed.

But finally got hold of the full details for us.

Hopefully I can arrange to be there with camera in hand.

this is weird, I am an official on the day and having briefing at 1000 then bused out to our points on the track