Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Title:    Ferrari Testa Rosa 1988 / photographer unknown.
Photographer:    Unknown.
Date taken:    May 1994.
Place:    Darwin (N.T.)
Collection:    Hartwell Collection.
Description:    Cannonball Run in May 1994. Ferrari Testa Rosa 1988. No: 141. Driver: Ian Green. Co-Driver: Bob Ell. Photographed in a vacant warehouse at the Trade Development Zone (TDZ), Berrimah.

http://www.territorystories.nt.gov.au/handle/10070/153151

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Title:    Cannonball Run Expo / photographer unknown.
Photographer:    Unknown.
Date taken:    May 1994.
Place:    Darwin (N.T.)
Collection:    Hartwell Collection.
Description:    Cannonball Run Expo held in May 1994 at Stokes Hill Wharf, Darwin.

http://www.territorystories.nt.gov.au/handle/10070/153136

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

The Northern Territory Cannonball Run was held from 22 May to the 27 in 1994 on the Stuart Highway from Darwin to Alice Springs and return, a distance of nearly 1600 kms, and attracted 118 racing enthusiasts from all over the world with their expensive machines. The race contained three distinct driving phases within the one event. These were the "flying miles", the timed sectors and, covering by far the greatest distance, normal, everyday driving during which there was no competitive element. The "flying miles" were a test of a car's acceleration with cars cross the starting line at 60 km/h and 1600 m later their speed was recorded by radar, with points awarded accordingly. The timed sections of the run were approximately 100 km stretches to which set times was applied. Cannonballers lost points on these sections by arriving either too late or too early by more than three minutes. While these sections of the run were happening, the road was open to regular traffic, although police swept the road ahead, side roads were manned and the travelling public and commercial vehicles were warned. During these sections, as throughout the run, Cannonball drivers were subject to the same laws as anyone else. It is to be pointed out, though, that in the Northern Territory doesn't exist a specified speed limit on the open road.

On 24 May, during one of the timed sections near Alice Springs, a Ferrari F40 crashed into a checkpost killing its occupants, the Japanese duo Akihiro Kabe and codriver Okano (first name unknown) and two track officials, Tim Linklater and Keith Pritchard. An inquest found that the direct cause of the accident was driver error on the part of the Japanese team which entered the checkpoint at an excessive speed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/centralaustralia/3166090100/

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

The rear of the killer car, driven by 2 Japanese business men.

Source: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1050216755034909381qYQFMd

(note: I don't recommend clicking this one - even on firefox it completely over-runs your computer and brings it to a grinding halt)

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Offline Cannonballrun.info

• Drives: 2004 Mercedes CLK 320 Advantgard
  • Name: Russ
i remember there was video footage of the accident happening taken from a helicopter above, at the time they printed a pic of the car in a slide in the newspapers, i saved it & it's probably at my parents - god knows where tho  :rolleyes:

anyone ever seen the vid or have a copy of the pic?

Paul... mate... I have been chasing this footage for some time... you have to find that footage. It's been so long since I witnessed the footage, I am beginning to doubt what my mind says it saw....

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Offline Cannonballrun.info

• Drives: 2004 Mercedes CLK 320 Advantgard
  • Name: Russ

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I'm with Neo... thats freaky shit mate.

Months ago I spent at least an hour scouring the Stuart Highway in google maps looking for it to no avail - this just creeps me out!

Anyhoo - I'm not actually sure which direction they were travelling when the incident happened, do you have more info?

We know that part of the road quite intimately - toward Yulara there is a bend a few hundred metres beforehand and if you were >250 before the bend you would certainly have some difficulty stopping in time.  Coming the other direction there is a crest - nowhere near as potentially dangerous as you are in a straight line and even at ~300 (easily possible there) but definitely a concern - and given the sheer number of completely open long straight areas just a few km from that point, it seems quite an illogical spot for a checkpoint.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Anyhoo - I'm not actually sure which direction they were travelling when the incident happened, do you have more info?

Looking at these pics - it would appear heading toward SA, (with the bend just before) but with the shot after the clean-up operation we can't be 100% that those marks were caused by the F40 as there's been a lot of traffic there.

This one shows the final resting place - which would indicate it's at the end of the "memorial runoff" area heading toward SA also.