Offline 265T

Paul... mate... I have been chasing this footage for some time... you have to find that footage. It's been so long since I witnessed the footage, I am beginning to doubt what my mind says it saw....

i've never seen the footage, just read about it when the photo from it was published, it has to be out there somewhere, have you tried asking a tv/news station if they have it?

Offline 265T

From memory, the photo of the two marshalls on their feet attempting to get out of the way of the sideways F40 approaching them, was published in Wheels Magazine soon after this tragedy took place.  It is a chilling photo.  :(

howdy stranger  :wave:

Offline Cannonballrun.info

• Drives: 2004 Mercedes CLK 320 Advantgard
  • Name: Russ
i've never seen the footage, just read about it when the photo from it was published, it has to be out there somewhere, have you tried asking a tv/news station if they have it?

Nope.... we were all VCR crazy back then... surely someone taped it.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

That's exactly how I remember it the action in the pic too.   The reason the photographer wasn't hit is that he must have been just slightly off line and was able to get behind the 4WD in time - but only just.  The pic shows both marshalls half out of their chairs and a sideways Ferrari coming at them.  The Ferrari looked small due to the perspective of the shot but was unmistakable.  The chill in the pic came from the knowledge that 4 lives were about to end and this photographer had caught their last living moment.

I recall seeing the pic in the local rag - I wasn't aware it appeared in Wheels (long time ago though so I may be mistaken).  The very distinct memory I do have was that it was the most amazing pic of its type that I'd ever seen - if the subject wasn't so macabre, you would expect it to win a Walkley award - and yet I never saw it again. 

Now that my interest has be re-awakened, I will make it my life's work to find this damn pic.
i've seen the pic too, and i saw it well after 1994, so it must on the web somewhere.

Offline dkabab

maybe worth looking at the rotton.com or ogrish.com type of sites... if you have a strong stomach...

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Guess what I just bought...

Damn! 

But you haven't got the pic yet have you?  The race is on!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Bugger me, I looked on eBay but did not see it?????

I went through a bunch of car mag listings for may/june '94, then I just entered "cannonball 1994" in the search and found it - wasn't expecting it to be like 5 months after the fact - but then I remembered it usually took a few months before publishing our Exotics in the Outback events.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht