1q2w3e4r

Having seen first hand the amount of work and hassles involved in organising events of this sort, I can see why they want to charge for it. I would never underestimate the potential for significant liability for the organisers either. I remember an FCA concour not so long ago where some knob did a burnout leaving the event and hit a parked car. Now that's a "rich" and probably older entrant, now imagine a crowd full of young guys in cheap cars, and imagine they hit and injured/killed a bystander instead of a parked car  :eek:
You couldn't pay me enough to run this event.

I can't comment on the organisation as I haven't been to one and am unlikely to ever do so...... either free or paid entry.

We wandered down to have a look and went in the daily.  What you've outlined was exactly what was going on when we left, no burnouts but plenty of 1st-2nd gear runs up the streets which had a lot of bystanders,  It's also held close to a residential area so imagine they'll object to any running of a secondary event

It's a shame really as that's not what car culture should be about, we've got a drag strip and race track right in the middle of Sydney.  Maybe they'd be better running it out there, getting Toby's Coffees or someone involved and hiring WSID for the half day or morning.  Might take some of the silliness out of it with people leaving and driving like idiots.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
We wandered down to have a look and went in the daily.  What you've outlined was exactly what was going on when we left, no burnouts but plenty of 1st-2nd gear runs up the streets which had a lot of bystanders,  It's also held close to a residential area so imagine they'll object to any running of a secondary event

It's a shame really as that's not what car culture should be about, we've got a drag strip and race track right in the middle of Sydney.  Maybe they'd be better running it out there, getting Toby's Coffees or someone involved and hiring WSID for the half day or morning.  Might take some of the silliness out of it with people leaving and driving like idiots.

If I were running it I would make sure that all the legal requirements were met, and all permits and public liability insurance were in place. I would also notify the Police well in advance and work with them to ensure the laws were obeyed and public safety was insured as far as possible. The Police charge for attendance at public events BTW and it isn't cheap. I think it would be prohibitively expensive to hire a race venue and it would add to the complexity of organisation with licensing and vehicle safety requirements.

The more I think about it the worse it gets, it would be a full on nightmare to run properly.

1q2w3e4r

If I were running it I would make sure that all the legal requirements were met, and all permits and public liability insurance were in place. I would also notify the Police well in advance and work with them to ensure the laws were obeyed and public safety was insured as far as possible. The Police charge for attendance at public events BTW and it isn't cheap. I think it would be prohibitively expensive to hire a race venue and it would add to the complexity of organisation with licensing and vehicle safety requirements.

The more I think about it the worse it gets, it would be a full on nightmare to run properly.

Track hire at WSID is $5k from memory but that is going back a while and prices may have moved, but includes scrutineering.

In 100% agreement with everything particularly with the public liability aspect.

Offline cel

Here's a few of my Cars and Coffee Sydney photos:

Offline 98octane

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Is that the owner of the red SV Roadster posing with the Maxim girls?
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline cel

Stunning pics and location.  :thumbsup: :burnout:

Thanks Luke!

Yeah that's him

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

What you talking bout........I see no dude!!!

Cel with the sneaky bum shot ftw.  :D

Offline Alpine

What you talking bout........I see no dude!!!

Cel with the sneaky bum shot ftw.  :D

Too true

Edite but wanted to ensure ownership remained