Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I damn well hope you are on holiday this time.

Indeed I am, on my own as usual.
I actually take a lot of holidays, generally 3 overseas trips a year for the last 4 years, 3 weeks at a time.
The benefits of not taking holidays for a decade plus long service leave plus frequent flyer points etc.

If only I could get my missus over her fear of flying so I dont have to keep going places on my own.
Well, maybe she could come with me at least once. I kind of enjoy the solitude.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Indeed I am, on my own as usual.

Good to hear.  :thumbsup:

Well, maybe she could come with me at least once. I kind of enjoy the solitude.

I enjoy travelling with my wife/family but solo travel is a different kind of fun.  Total freedom.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I enjoy travelling with my wife/family but solo travel is a different kind of fun.  Total freedom.

You need both and she needs something equivalent.......whatever that is.

If you can achieve that you may never have to divide your assets.

Offline app

Im becoming less and less tolerant of drunken behaviour generally.

+1. I'm sick of this culture that requires people to get drunk in the name of having a good time.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
+1. I'm sick of this culture that requires people to get drunk in the name of having a good time.

If someone can explain the reason to me, it would solve 73 years of me just not getting it.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.

I worked in bars for 7 years and I saw a lot of drunk people. For some it was a case of already having low intelligence and thinking being drunk was cool. For others it was peer pressure and for many people its an antidepressant. Its not that they show or act unhappy with their life, they keep it bottled up. They may even rave about how great life is but deep down they may hate their job, they may be jealous of what others have, they may be in debt. When they drink themselves stupid they forget about what is making them unhappy. Its even harder for this generation because the education department has brought them up soft, made life easy for them. When they hit the real world in adult life its not so easy any more and they need to drink to take the stress away. Then the old adage comes out. Instant dickhead, just add alcohol.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I didnt mean to steer this thread in this direction

however

Every Friday night, when I am in Adelaide, I walk into the city for dinner, shopping, walking around enjoying the sights and sounds.

The relatively new pub crawl ironic t-shirt culture thing is very disturbing.
The engineering association one with 5000 people got publicity last week due to their flash mob thing on Rundle Street, but there's actually a similar group every week, be it the nurses, arts students, doctors, science or whatever.

I have seen lots of young people, passed out drunk on the footpath, before 9pm. Its clear they have never done anything like this before and have been pressured into it by the event.
I have seen people hit by cars, knock over little old ladies and laugh about it, throw full bottles or glasses at people and get into pathetic drunken fights.

The similar thing is the end of year sporting group pub crawl. I was on the scene when that guy fell off the balcony on King William Street, and another week when one of them was hit by a tram. How dumb do you have to be to get hit by a tram!

More recently I saw a drunk guy stuck on the fence at the Garden of Unearthly delights. Why? Its free to get in!

All before 9pm.

Its scary to think what this might look like by 3am.

Offline app

The t-shirt pub crawl thing is not new. It was around when I first started at Adelaide Uni in 2006, and I'm fairly sure it wasn't new then.

Throughout my uni life, the engineering pub crawls were always by far the biggest. What happened this year is no different to back then. The difference is someone had a camera and sent the footage to the media, hence the outcry.

But I do agree with what you're saying.

Offline blackr35

Pub crawls have always been with us, as has problem drinking. It does seem to be more visible. I am amazed that I am still alive and unharmed by my 17 years of standard Australian drinking. I've been alcohol free for 2 years by choice and its only improved my life.

It's quite bizarre that when I now say I don't drink people wonder whether I was an alcoholic! When I tell them that I just don't need or want it and I'm healthier without it, many look slightly bewildered.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Pub crawls have always been with us, as has problem drinking. It does seem to be more visible.

You can thank smart phones with video capability ( more impact than still shots) point and shoot cameras with video capability and you tube and social media.  what is happening today is not different than my uni years -  just better organised and pre/post publicised.

It's quite bizarre that when I now say I don't drink people wonder whether I was an alcoholic! When I tell them that I just don't need or want it and I'm healthier without it, many look slightly bewildered.

I'm in your shoes too, I may have one or two glasses of alcohol a month yet the pressure is still there to have more.  I simply dont need or want to drink.