Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
I'm off to Frankfurt on Wednesday to see the motor show on Thursday and Friday, then heading to the Italian Alps to check the Stelvio pass. I'm stopping over in Stuttgart (Porsche and Mercedes museums) and Munich (BMW museum and Oktoberfest :o) along the way. I'll post a pic or two. Any other must-see stuff nearby?
If in Munich - try and get into the BMW Classic museum - (not just BMW Welt or BMW Museum) - it has a collection of some of the rarer BMW hero cars. Just quote that u r a member of the local BMW Drivers Club (no one will check!  ;)) and BMW Clubs International have some sort of arrangement I gather that besides special interest groups, Club members worldwide can get access. Well worth it even if u r not a BMW person! And check out the car park next door for sneak previews of some of their disguised prototypes! I was lucky enough to glimpse the M5 and the 6 GranCoupe when I was there end June this year.

Following link to just some of the photos I took recently but the BMW classic museum is well worth it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvchua/collections/

Also at Stuttgart - when visiting the Porsche museum - make sure you also head across the road to the dealership there! Some special orders and cars and they also have a pre-owned section which had a gorgeous 356 whilst I was there recently.

Have a fantastic trip mhh!

Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

It's 5pm here and I thought I'd post a bit about the motor show - mostly to keep me awake.

The show is huge - I was there for 5 hours today and I still haven't covered all the halls so I'll go back tomorrow.  I arrived from Singapore at 6am and was at the gate when it opened for the first trade day at 9am.  The first hour was fairly quiet and easy to get around but it got very busy later, particularly at the Ferrari stand which had the biggest crowd.

Apart from having a large number of new models, the show proves that manufacturers are prepared to invest millions into their stands.  Mercedes, BMW and Audi have huge multi-storey buildings.  The BMW stand is bigger in floor space than the Melbourne Motor Show. Audi has about 10 cars being driven on a circular ramp around their stand.  Mercedes had a band, comperes, light show - and the full range of cars over 4 levels.

I sat in the FF - not as big in the back seat as I expected but lovely interior.  The 458 Spider looks great.  Lots of dubious hangers-on on the stand.  I had a pass but still had to wait 30 minutes to get into the stand.

I'm getting tired - here are a few random snaps...

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Nuts. :boggled:

Am I getting old, or does the new M5 not look butt-ugly?

And the 458 Spider, that's the first realistic "well, there it is" pic I've seen, and it actually looks really good.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Nuts. :boggled:

Am I getting old, or does the new M5 not look butt-ugly?

And the 458 Spider, that's the first realistic "well, there it is" pic I've seen, and it actually looks really good.

The M5 disappoints at the front but I don't mind the back. It feels great to sit in and you just know it's going to be a fantastic car.  It's better looking than the old one - how's that for faint praise?  I'd still have one.  Here's a white one instead.

The Spider has real styling presence, especially with the roof up.  I still prefer the coupe (I always do) but the Spider will sell very well.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

The Spider has real styling presence, especially with the roof up.  I still prefer the coupe (I always do) but the Spider will sell very well.

So the Spider in tin-top mode doesn't just look like the coupe?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

So the Spider in tin-top mode doesn't just look like the coupe?

Well, it sort of does, but the roof line at the rear is different and not just worse like most convertibles.  They've managed to maintain a styling 'tension' at the back. 

For some reason, the show car was lowered but the Italia next to it wasn't.  Not sure what that was about.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I like how they did the Han Solo carbon freezing sculpture thing on the wall behind the 458 Spider.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I forgot to mention too - Mondi would have a meltdown.  The talent on the stands is something to behold.

The crowd was a lot of air-kissing snappy dressers - including Stephan Winkelmann who looked like he'd had a collision with a Lambo Lifestyle magazine. Probably because it was a trade day, not a general admission day.  Anyone can come on trade day - so long as they don't mind paying 3x the usual ticket price. :o  I wouldn't want to be there on Saturday - it will be a crush.