Offline TomE

Oh well :(

That is that.

"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Does that council area include further South or the Barossa area? Could they have just moved the location a bit further out? Targa Tas covers the whole state. Did we need the Targa to just stick only to the close hills? Some great roads out between the Barossa and Clare.

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
Unfortunately the wowsers are petitioning the elected members in all "affected" councils, who for the most part are themselves wowsers, so they're preaching to the converted in the most literal sense.

These elected members then go to council meetings and debate with the other wowsers about how disgraceful it is that people should try to have any kind of fun in their sleepy little 1890s villages, and how upset their residents are. Sure it's only three of them but you know, squeaky wheels and all that. Plus those three people sit in the public gallery and wail and gnash their teeth to such an extent you swear there must be 50 of them back there.

And so arrives the death of a good event, and just a little more fun squeezed out of everyday life.

Councils are capable of and can do great work. In many cases its work the State Government and Federal Government decided long ago they didn't want to be responsible for any more. The chances of councils being abolished as so many call for? Buckleys my friends. The states and the feds don't want to deal with any of that shit anymore thanks very much.

Unfortunately decisions like this simply undermine any good work done by councils, and instead of damaging the credibility of the elected members who made the decision, it damages the administration, the people that do all the work and have to cop decisions like this made by people without a clue. People who arguably cannot get a job in the real world.

I wonder what Sir Jack would make of all this...
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Opens the door for the Port Adelaide event to make a name for itself. Gary wouldnt care if 1000 local residents complained, his one vote over rides all of theirs.

Offline TomE

Some great suggestions.
Port Adelaide day/night stage running through some of the wool sheds and Dave's favorite docks
Victor Harbor night stage + day running some of the cliff road towards
Barrossa night stage + day stage running through vineyards.
Have the event overnight to show support for the local communities/economies

Geared towards the Classic Adelaide style.

Could be better than Targa ever was.
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

Some great suggestions.
Port Adelaide day/night stage running through some of the wool sheds and Dave's favorite docks
Victor Harbor night stage + day running some of the cliff road towards
Barrossa night stage + day stage running through vineyards.
Have the event overnight to show support for the local communities/economies

Geared towards the Classic Adelaide style.

Could be better than Targa ever was.

I like the concept, just wondering though if a regularity/average speed section could be included to link each of the venues, turning the transport into something a bit more competitive without requiring road closures. Similar to the old Duttons Grand Prix rallies, also including sprints and hillclimbs at various venues en-route. Also such a regularity oriented event keeps overall speeds lower, and would also likely attract all the older cars that are no longer seen because they don't have a cage. It would be something a bit different to the usual Targa type event, and be both a rolling museum as well as something for modern cars that don't have a cage.

Perhaps it would be a bit of a folly though, given there would have to be a reason why the Grand Prix rallies are no longer held, and that regularity sections in Targa have such small fields.

I do like the recently promoted idea of the Port Adelaide motorfest though, the location offers a lot of potential. I'm guessing it is an event that was really just looking for a date, given the past proposal for it to be prologue for Targa. Hopefully the cancellation of this year's Targa is a bit of a silver lining for it to actually happen. 

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Targa Adelaide has been hit by a downturn in popularity of the format (Targa Tasmania had a record low field I'm told) and indifference from local councils who don't need the grief from ratepayers.  It's hard to see the way out. New formats take time to build and lose money until they do - money the already cash strapped organisers don't have.

Fortunately, there are still racetracks for those who want to compete and public roads for the rest of us who just want somewhere to drive.  And Europe if you really want to do a tarmac rally with history and style.

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

And Europe if you really want to do a tarmac rally with history and style.

We are going back next to have another go at the Tour Auto.  Can't wait!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

We are going back next to have another go at the Tour Auto.  Can't wait!

linky?