Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

That can be organised. :)

You would really enjoy it.  Basically a gentleman's tour with some stages and track events.  As you know France has some lovely roads.  Eligibility is hard.  Have to have a good car (which wouldn't be a problem for you if you wanted to buy an old car).  There were close to 3,000 entries this year with just under 300 excepted.

Anyway, back to Targa Adelaide. :)

Offline dkabab

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

You'd have to re-learn how to drive manual.

I drive a manual most weeks - Fiat. :)

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
dunno how much use it'll be but the following is my post on the Adelaide Hills Council Facebook page :
Dear Adelaide Hills Council,

I'm a resident and ratepayer within your council area and am writing to appeal to the decision makers within your organization.

It was announced earlier today that the Targa Adelaide 2014 has been cancelled due to inability to meet the stringent requirements of the Events Policy set by your organization.

Correspondence from the event organizers have listed the following requirements set by your events policy :
• A minimum six months approval process that includes two months of direct consultation with affected residents

• A minimum of 80% resident approval on closed road sections. 100% approval preferred

• Approval will only be given to each piece of road once in a 15 month period- therefore every two years in the case of the Targa Adelaide.

I find it incredulous that an event that promotes Adelaide to the world stage, and in particular townships and businesses within your council area, is subject to the narrow-mindedness of a few on the council.

Over the years, as both a participant in the Classic Adelaide and then later Targa, as well as a resident within the Hills, I've only noticed how well received the event is by businesses and residents alike! I also have nothing but praise for the volunteers as well as Council officials encountered both as a participant as well as a spectator during the event and I can only say with confidence that the atmosphere and enthusiasm has been nothing but addictive and showcases ever so well the picturesque and unique region within the Adelaide Hills Council area to the world stage!

As with anything, I have no doubt that there'll always be the few vocal protaganists who'll use any opportunity to complain but has this ever been put to the vote of ratepayers? Has there been any consultation with the community at large? Surely as a democracy, a majority of 50% approval rather than an unrealistic onerous minimum of 80% resident approval on closed road sections should suffice?

I appeal to the Council to reconsider the onerous requirements set to comply with the Events Policy and hope within hope that this does not reflect the loss of yet another significant event from our wonderful state of SA!
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
Unfortunately the wowsers are petitioning the elected members in all "affected" councils, who for the most part are themselves wowsers, so they're preaching to the converted in the most literal sense.

These elected members then go to council meetings and debate with the other wowsers about how disgraceful it is that people should try to have any kind of fun in their sleepy little 1890s villages, and how upset their residents are. Sure it's only three of them but you know, squeaky wheels and all that. Plus those three people sit in the public gallery and wail and gnash their teeth to such an extent you swear there must be 50 of them back there.

And so arrives the death of a good event, and just a little more fun squeezed out of everyday life.

Councils are capable of and can do great work. In many cases its work the State Government and Federal Government decided long ago they didn't want to be responsible for any more. The chances of councils being abolished as so many call for? Buckleys my friends. The states and the feds don't want to deal with any of that shit anymore thanks very much.

Unfortunately decisions like this simply undermine any good work done by councils, and instead of damaging the credibility of the elected members who made the decision, it damages the administration, the people that do all the work and have to cop decisions like this made by people without a clue. People who arguably cannot get a job in the real world.

I wonder what Sir Jack would make of all this...

if the event was given event status by the state govt it then over rides the council/s, thats how we got the aust gp over  line in the 80's and clipsal was the total result of event event status.
When Classic failed the Govt were behind the new event albeit without total event status. Given fatalities the Govt has taken a step back, does anyone remember when Ashley Cooper died as a result of injuries at Clipsal....well Foley hand balled it all to Clipsal, the Govt doesnt want to align itself to unpopular community feelings.

Hence adel hills tarmac is defunct, now this, dont expect another event too soon.......

And the cost as a competitor in these events due to increased insurance costs means they need numbers for an event to succeed, this event has never attained the same numbers or status as Classic Adel.

Basically its a sign of the times.
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.

And the cost as a competitor in these events due to increased insurance costs means they need numbers for an event to succeed, this event has never attained the same numbers or status as Classic Adel.

Basically its a sign of the times.

Its a catch 22, it needed numbers but it didnt get them because of the total lack of promotion. If it wasnt for this forum I would never have known when it was on. How is anyone new going to enter unless it is promoted way in advance as something special to enter? If you want to build a new event you have to make it easy for people who have never entered before and make novice/budget classes for those people. It was let known that it was on. It wasnt ever well promoted.

Offline Steve355F1

• Drives: 355F1 GTS

As nothing more than an observer, and someone who would like to see these kind of events continue in SA, my only comment re this event is that the timing of it (last year at least) seemed utterly bizarre.

Why would you have people going fast through the hills in the very depths of winter on freezing, slippery roads?
Crap for spectators and competitors alike, surely?
Not to mention dangerous.

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
As nothing more than an observer, and someone who would like to see these kind of events continue in SA, my only comment re this event is that the timing of it (last year at least) seemed utterly bizarre.

Why would you have people going fast through the hills in the very depths of winter on freezing, slippery roads?
Crap for spectators and competitors alike, surely?
Not to mention dangerous.

Totally agree. Timing was shit, but I guess they had to find a gap between the other established Targa events.
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot