Offline Joel

1. Once you shell out on showrooms, social media, and traditional tv stuff there can't be that much left to drop huge coin to have a stand at the motor show;

2. Combine that with the fact that the big brands like Ferrari that draw punters in don't really bother any more (and why would you when the manufacturer obliges you to plough truckloads of cash into showroom fitouts) and the end result is less people through the door; and

3. Finally if I wanted to buy a car, why would I go to the motorshow to do that? I can't test drive a car there, I can do my research and comparisons on line, so I'd much rather go down to the dealership instead of having to battle it out with the riff raff at the convention centre.

Yeah I agree on that all..
I think it is something about being a kid and going there that is going to be missed and at the end of the day kids aren't the ones buying the cars so its just a shame that everything in life revolves around money...

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
Yeah I agree on that all..
I think it is something about being a kid and going there that is going to be missed and at the end of the day kids aren't the ones buying the cars so its just a shame that everything in life revolves around money...

I agree with that

but with a half full attitude
We will just have to take our kids to car show put on by car clubs. I took my 2 year old the the start of the climb to the eagle this year, he had a great time for about 40 minutes but 20 of those was spent driving "Dads racing Car"
 as dad cought up with some mates.
I also used to love going with dad every year, good father son bonding time

Offline Joel

I agree with that

but with a half full attitude
We will just have to take our kids to car show put on by car clubs. I took my 2 year old the the start of the climb to the eagle this year, he had a great time for about 40 minutes but 20 of those was spent driving "Dads racing Car"
 as dad cought up with some mates.
I also used to love going with dad every year, good father son bonding time

Yeah I was lucky my old man was interested in cars mainly the rodding scene so I was lucky to go to Rat Rod Days and other cool events as well he would take me to the motorshow and other car events. We still go to check the cars out at Pickles together. I will be doing the same once I have a son.
I just think Motorshow is a lot more mainstream so it is easier to remember for people who are not on forums or into cars a great deal.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Technology has helped kill "The Motorshow" When I was young there was no internet where you could see any car you wanted in the world. There was no Top Gear on TV. If you wanted to see a Ferrari you were either lucky on the street or you went to "The Motorshow." Now you can google anything you want to see and you kind of feel like youve seen plenty. Inflation has meant that the price is much dearer so to make the effort to go to a show and put your cash on the line is too much for many family people.

I still like going to shows, The last "Motor Show" I went to in Adelaide had the Holden Efigy and the new 350z Convertible. I don even remember if there was a Ferrari or Lambo there but I remember I enjoyed it.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

The motorshow certainly isn't dead in Europe. At Paris, the show had been running for more than a week when I got there and you still couldn't get to some exhibits. But there was genuinely new stuff to see. Frankfurt is a spectacle.

Offline carmooch

• Name: George
The problem with an Australian motor show is that we are just too far away from the rest of the world to make it worthwhile for manufacturers to showcase anything worth seeing.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

The problem with an Australian motor show is that we are just too far away from the rest of the world to make it worthwhile for manufacturers to showcase anything worth seeing.

Once people like Ferrari pull out of our show it's all over as that's what people go to see.

You go to see an overview of what's available once there are holes in it , it's all over.

Offline Richie

• I need Lambo drugs...

• Drives: my wife crazy

too far away and the market isn't big for overseas manufacturers.... I am personally quite disappointed that we aren't gonna have a motorshow here in Melbourne even though it isn't that big compare to those ones overseas... don't think they give a fcuk about how we feel...

Offline adam01

too far away and the market isn't big for overseas manufacturers.... I am personally quite disappointed that we aren't gonna have a motorshow here in Melbourne even though it isn't that big compare to those ones overseas... don't think they give a fcuk about how we feel...

:eek:

is there a motorshow @ their stores?

Offline app

1. Once you shell out on showrooms, social media, and traditional tv stuff there can't be that much left to drop huge coin to have a stand at the motor show;

When it was in Adelaide, it was individual dealers using the car show to sell their cars. Hence, the justification to spend the coin.

2. Combine that with the fact that the big brands like Ferrari that draw punters in don't really bother any more (and why would you when the manufacturer obliges you to plough truckloads of cash into showroom fitouts) and the end result is less people through the door; and

This is what stopped me going in Adelaide. Cars were a let down, top end brands were pulling out. Even if the car was remotely good, it would be behind ropes so you couldn't get up close.

3. Finally if I wanted to buy a car, why would I go to the motorshow to do that? I can't test drive a car there, I can do my research and comparisons on line, so I'd much rather go down to the dealership instead of having to battle it out with the riff raff at the convention centre.

I'm guessing the situation at European car shows is to pull people in to look at the latest and greatest rather than target future purchasers, or both. The revenue/cost model is probably different too. In Australia on the other hand, dealers actually aimed for sales through motor shows, otherwise they wouldn't pay the cost. Obviously, most people are not like you. But the average person who doesn't care about cars probably wouldn't buy a car based on brand. Think female drivers who'd look at the number of cup holders a car had. What better way for someone to pick a car from many under one roof, when they otherwise wouldn't bother researching or going out shopping for a car?