Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
So you measured the flex? What are the figures, just out of interest?

I'd say your door gaps were just big. Quite simple...flex problem solved.

Of course I didn't measure it as such.

But not even the adjustment would change, regardless of gap.

And the gaps were actually really tight for a boxer anyway. It was/is a really tight bodied car.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
Of course I didn't measure it as such.

But not even the adjustment would change, regardless of gap.

And the gaps were actually really tight for a boxer anyway. It was/is a really tight bodied car.

Yes you're probably right. It might be a tight bodied car. But the chassis flexes like hell. It was embarrassing. Compared a couple of them to Porsches in the day. Hopeless.

So, if you didn't measure, maybe you should have said "IMO"...because unless you measure, it's just a guess. I've measured, and it wasn't good!....and not just mine.

Not that this has anything to do with a 308 windscreen!

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Yes you're probably right. It might be a tight bodied car. But the chassis flexes like hell. It was embarrassing. Compared a couple of them to Porsches in the day. Hopeless.

So, if you didn't measure, maybe you should have said "IMO"...because unless you measure, it's just a guess. I've measured, and it wasn't good!....and not just mine.

can you describe the flex under driving?

what it felt like?

• Soap Dodger

I compared my Boxer to many others, mine was probably the best I compared, but there were a couple of BBis I checked that were much better than the norm too.

My sample size is quite large, I'd say at least 30 different boxers. And yes, I even tried the doors on your old 512 too, it's as you say.

• Soap Dodger

Lets not even mention 355 chassis flex.... gees!! makes a Boxer look like its made out of rock!

• Soap Dodger

can you describe the flex under driving?

what it felt like?

hard question  :cool:

I don't think any of the coupes, even 355s, exhibit any humanly detectable flex on the road, or even on track with road set up.

But try a GTS..... 355 is the worse, Dino a close second..... steering column shimmy, scuttle shake, turn in laziness and snap oversteer under power.

The crash is usually more gentle though.

Some people confuse body clamshell shake as chassis flex. it's not, it's completely different. But they SEE the bonnets moving, and assume its chassis. Like an E type front bonnet a bit.

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

hard question  :cool:

I don't think any of the coupes, even 355s, exhibit any humanly detectable flex on the road, or even on track with road set up.

But try a GTS..... 355 is the worse, Dino a close second..... steering column shimmy, scuttle shake, turn in laziness and snap oversteer under power.

The crash is usually more gentle though.

Some people confuse body clamshell shake as chassis flex. it's not, it's completely different. But they SEE the bonnets moving, and assume its chassis.
Never had any of that. Bit of axle tramp when i loaded it up off the line,but that was it.
and my car was well sprung and carried the thick sway bars.

• Soap Dodger

Never had any of that. Bit of axle tramp when i loaded it up off the line,but that was it.
and my car was well sprung and carried the thick sway bars.

axle tramp in a BB???

Wow, I've never seen that.

You sure the diff wasn't busted  :D

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

axle tramp in a BB???

Wow, I've never seen that.

You sure the diff wasn't busted  :D
diff was fine,I nailed it a few times when i 1st got it off the line and got the axle tramp and then there after never pushed it hard of the line,i waited till it had traction.. before i nailed it...back to my old mustang driving technique.
that white car had a lot of grunt,JA always said it was a fast car from day one and even faster once he had cleaned up the heads and put the headers on it.
Spoken to a lot of people about that car ,those who know all said the same,very fast car.

• Soap Dodger

diff was fine,I nailed it a few times when i 1st got it off the line and got the axle tramp and then there after never pushed it hard of the line,i waited till it had traction.. before i nailed it...back to my old mustang driving technique.

I've seen that with old tyres on some models, but I haven't driven a Boxer that hard on that old tyres for a very long time.

I did do powerslides in my old boxer, got a great pic of me doing it at Thruxton. It's on my boys bedroom wall, he's asleep so it'll have to wait.