Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
Does that loop hole still work???? We looked into that with the Mondial and they were closing that little loop hole so it was not going to work for us???

Or did you have another reason for the QLD plates???

i'm not sure what loophole you're talking about.

the reason it went to Qld and not here is because I don't know the first damn thing about importing a car....so contrary to what some people think of my lack of intelligence (hi phil), i did what any smart person would do, and found someone who does. The one i found just happens to live in Qld. He organised everything. I just paid the bills. He was fantastic, and I'm very grateful to him.

The reason why it took 1.5 weeks from the car coming out of customs to it being complied and registered is because I got an expert to do it. He knew exactly what to do and had everything organised so that when the car arrived, there was no time wasted with the car just sitting around.

I know I look silly, but I'm one of those guys who usually only asks a question if I already know the answer. In other words, I don't like surprises, and I didn't undertake the importing of this car until I knew everything was organised.

That why I was having so much fun with Phil. I'd already bought the car and had all the answers when he was going on about the costs and the difficulties.

Like fixing oil leaks and getting an accurate PPI...if you get the right guy, it's easy for everyone concerned.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Ah, so a different reason then and a very good one.

The QLD loop hole used to be that they would rego a car 20 years or older without needing the compliance done.

They are now in line with Vic and NSW, in fact when I spoke to them about the Mondial they gave me a contact who was a guy here in Vic to talk it to for the Compliance.
Who I had already talked to, mind you. So a Vic VASS is needed to rego an imported car in QLD now as well.

Your friend up there,  I guess he was not the VASS guy but knew someone who was???

Offline Aircon

Ah, so a different reason then and a very good one.

The QLD loop hole used to be that they would rego a car 20 years or older without needing the compliance done.

They are now in line with Vic and NSW, in fact when I spoke to them about the Mondial they gave me a contact who was a guy here in Vic to talk it to for the Compliance.
Who I had already talked to, mind you. So a Vic VASS is needed to rego an imported car in QLD now as well.

Your friend up there,  I guess he was not the VASS guy but knew someone who was???

yep.

he's imported heaps of cars and had all the contacts. that's why i didn't interfere.

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

yep.

he's imported heaps of cars and had all the contacts. that's why i didn't interfere.

Thats great, but how long can you run on QLD plates in Victoria????  Like I stated b4, with my Duke I had to register it in Vic after 3 months.  It was like an interstate licence.  After 3 months you had to convert.  This really highlights how stupid this conuntry is at times.

I only want to know because I believe you can register an F40 in WA.  So if one day I can afford an F40 rather than place it in NZ perhaps I can drive it here in Melbourne even though it would be registered in WA????

And PP how about an answer this time. :D

Offline Aircon

Thats great, but how long can you run on QLD plates in Victoria????  Like I stated b4, with my Duke I had to register it in Vic after 3 months.  It was like an interstate licence.  After 3 months you had to convert.  This really highlights how stupid this conuntry is at times.

I only want to know because I believe you can register an F40 in WA.  So if one day I can afford an F40 rather than place it in NZ perhaps I can drive it here in Melbourne even though it would be registered in WA????

i don't know the answer.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

The short answer is:

Q. I have moved to Victoria from interstate and I want to transfer the registration of my car to Victorian. What do I need to do?
A. It is an offence if you are a permanent resident of Victoria and you do not transfer the vehicle registration to Victorian. You must change the registration of your vehicle to Victorian immediately once you are a permanent resident of Victoria.

If you purchase or have a vehicle rego-ed in your name, an older one that needs compliance say, from QLD it is just a straight transfer. This is because Vic, NSW and QLD are now lined up with the laws regarding imported and engineered vehicles. A Vic VASS and engineers cert can be used in NSW and QLD. But not the other way around. Not sure where SA fits in to this either.

A vehicle coming from WA that fits under the "modified, imported, and individually constructed vehicles" category needs to be VASSed and engineered to have the rego transferred here. In fact I think they just ignore the fact that it is Rego'ed in WA and just cash in the remaining mount.

You can't be a permanent resident of Vic and have a vehicle rego'ed in WA, even if you have an address over there. You may get away with it for a while but if the Police or Vicroads suspects that the vehicle is incorrectly rego'ed then it is a $500 fine and they will take the plates off the car.

So PP will have to transfer the rego to Vic ASAP. Unless there are other factors involved, but I am sure PP knows what he is doing.

B2 - don't you work for Vicroads???  Or is Rego not you department?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

The reason why it took 1.5 weeks from the car coming out of customs to it being complied and registered is because I got an expert to do it. He knew exactly what to do and had everything organised so that when the car arrived, there was no time wasted with the car just sitting around.

Did any of the info posted in the Mondial VASS thread help in the outcome????

Offline Aircon

Did any of the info posted in the Mondial VASS thread help in the outcome????

nah. made me realise what's involved, but i had no input with my car in that respect.

i laughed when i was mentioning how difficult it seemed to be and phil said something along the lines that it serves me right. little did he know  it was no hassle for me whatsoever.

actually, just about every comment phil made was funny...starting with the price and cheap cars being 'ghosts'. he should have known me better than that. all my 'pretend' friends who were always in the know about it all had a good laugh at poor old phil over it. now that the 328's done and dusted, i should pull up some of his quotes and repost them and since you've all seen the end result and how easy and relatively quick it was, i think everyone would get a bit of a laugh.

the unexpected bonus with this 328 thing....meeting phil's dad and then realising just how much i REALLY get under his skin....and all because he tried cheating me. lol

the whole thing is too good to be true. i expect the engine to blow up any day now! :)

I'll be going for a drive in it to the black spur soon. when's tassie?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Hehehe, only way to go.

I only wished that some one else I know did his homework before jumping in and going nuts.   :rolleyes:

But it has been interesting to say the least.

Did I read that the 328 had a Tubi??? How on earth did that get past ADR 37???
We are still having headaches with this.  :(

Offline Aircon

Hehehe, only way to go.

I only wished that some one else I know did his homework before jumping in and going nuts.   :rolleyes:

But it has been interesting to say the least.

Did I read that the 328 had a Tubi??? How on earth did that get past ADR 37???
We are still having headaches with this.  :(

remember i said i had access to a number of exhaust options? i guess my car is as legal as any other car that's had a tubi added after compliancing.