Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Ferrari 360 suffer with ball joint wear. I see the usual special people on fchat ( http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139679982&postcount=1 ) have been having some chitty chat about them, and as usual, abusing certain people....

Well, welcome to August 2003 boys..... Shortly after this email exchange, Hill Engineering started making their superb aftermarket alternatives, including the rubber boot/circlips.

Subject: Re: 360 sphericals
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 11:18:07 +0100
To: Philip Hughes <ferrarifixer@hotmail.com>

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply,

The boots over here seem to be big problem - These bearings are wearing out like no ones business! - I think the weather might have something to do with it!

I am working with a couple of local Ferrari shops here in the UK who have this problem.

>From the ones that I have removed there seems to be no interference fit - a clearance of about 0.1mm - using a bore mic on the wishbone arm and and external mic on the bearing outer. They seem to use a clear locktite to bond them in - you can see a clear ring of locktite when you press the old bearing out.

I have seen a couple of new ones and what seems to be the problem is that the bellow is moulded onto the circlip - the circlip obviously has 2 holes  in it and unfortunately allows the water/moisture into the bearing - Its all down hill from there as the ball in only chrome plated, which is porous and starts to rust the ball from the inside out, thus totally destroying the liner material that is used within the bearing.

I know that Ferrari knows that there is a problem as I have been told that there is a design change on the whole arm. The problem is getting hold of the arms - there is a waiting list for them over here!!!

Thanks for your input on the matter - greatly appreciated

Regards

Paul Hill"

Now if you have a mechanic working on a 360 for you, and he HASN'T found upper and lower ball joint wear until it's at a level so bad the driver can feel a symptom, then you really ought to consider your safety, their ability, and your choice of who you abuse, perhaps.

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
driver can feel a symptom, then you really ought to consider your safety, their ability, and your choice of who you abuse, perhaps.
interesting point, only i just got all ball joints replaced and car feels so much more loose than i ever remember...how does that work???
Everything looks better in carbon fibre

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
interesting point, only i just got all ball joints replaced and car feels so much more loose than i ever remember...how does that work???

That's not a good thing. What do you mean by loose though?
C'mon, do it!

• Soap Dodger

ok, well either the wheel alignment was not done, or was done wrong, after doing the ball joints.

or, that it was wrong before in such a way as to make it feel tight/stable... but now doesn't.

Or the tyre pressures or some other loosely related thing has cropped up.

Offline ferrarista2

That's not a good thing. What do you mean by loose though?
when turning the wheel, the car feels like its sliding (oversteering).
checked pressures in tyres and they swear that wheel alignment was done to perfection.
have the fronts at 32psi.
This, Al, is my excuse for granny driving.....and i am sticking to it!

• Soap Dodger

when turning the wheel, the car feels like its sliding (oversteering).
checked pressures in tyres and they swear that wheel alignment was done to perfection.
have the fronts at 32psi.
This, Al, is my excuse for granny driving.....and i am sticking to it!

Post the printout/report of alignment they did then!

You say when turning the wheel feels like "it's" sliding.. sounds more like understeer to me, that descritpion, but you're not being clear.

If the car turns more than you expect, it's oversteer, if it turns less than you expect, understeer. Either way, the car feels different to you, and changing ball joints won't affect any of that, but a bad/different wheel alignment will.

Did you change tyres too? or anything else?

Offline allanuber

^ What he said...

Compared to your last car which was 4wd and front engined the 360 is going to feel light on the nose, but it shouldn't feel like it's not 'biting' into a turn unless there's something pretty wrong ... or unless you are a granny  :)
C'mon, do it!

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

^ What he said...

Compared to your last car which was 4wd and front engined the 360 is going to feel light on the nose, but it shouldn't feel like it's not 'biting' into a turn unless there's something pretty wrong ... or unless you are a granny  :)

Oooohhhh, wrong sort of joint................  :D

Offline ferrarista2

^ What he said...

yep, does feel light and sometimes it feels as i have to turn the wheel, more than usual, to get it in the direction i want it to go....
and as i always say...nothing wrong with granny driving

Offline allanuber

yep, does feel light and sometimes it feels as i have to turn the wheel, more than usual, to get it in the direction i want it to go....
and as i always say...nothing wrong with granny driving

You're coming to our next skidpan day man, no arguments!

The 360 needs a bit of twirling to get it pointed in the right direction, I believe Trev with the manual-stradale-conversion on FChat has dropped a challenge rack in which is pointier.

I think you need to get your car to a 'full' ferrari mechanic just for a check and proper alignment if you don't think it's steering right - you don't want to end up on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic if there is something wrong.
C'mon, do it!