Offline HWHL

This morning I was told why my 360 has a  bigger than usual blind spot in the side mirrors.
Apparently you don't set them up to look at the air intakes as you are driving, instead you line the inside of the mirror with the outside of the intake and hey presto very reduced blind spot.
Although I will admit this is much better at seeing cars beside you, but it is nowhere near as good of view.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline HWHL

Well the right way would suck, you wouldn't be able to see any of the intakes lol.:-)

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.

I changed to this method years ago after always having the "side" of the car in the wing mirrors.

It makes sense to have them out wide as why do you need to see the side of the car when driving?

If I am reversing into a tight spot then I move the mirror in to see the side of the car.

Have NEVER been able to get the wife to convert to it. And they say men are stubborn!

:mad:

Offline adam01

Well the right way would suck, you wouldn't be able to see any of the intakes lol.:-)

Wrong way u might see the car next 2 u IN the intakes :D

Offline dkabab

If I am reversing into a tight spot then I move the mirror in to see the side of the car.

i tried it for a couple of weeks about a year ago, i saw the benefit, but it didn't suit me. I'm 99% aware all the time while driving and i know where every car is around me, colour and make etc... i found that i got distracted by the mirrors because of the angle they were on, scenery was flying by etc.. and yes, reversing/parking can be difficult without the mirrors in the common way.

I think if you drove a countach or something similar with no rear visibility and huge blind spots, it would be quite useful.

i'll stick to checking my blind spot by turning my head

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Have a reversing camera BUT still crane my neck to see what's around me. :rolleyes:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
i tried it for a couple of weeks about a year ago, i saw the benefit, but it didn't suit me. I'm 99% aware all the time while driving and i know where every car is around me, colour and make etc... i found that i got distracted by the mirrors because of the angle they were on, scenery was flying by etc.. and yes, reversing/parking can be difficult without the mirrors in the common way.

On my car the mirrors don't poke out too far beyond the bodywork so it's fairly natural to set them "the right way" and still be able to see part of the car for reference:

But yeah, hyper-vigilance is still the best option, sometimes when I've had a full on day at work my brain goes lightspeed for hours afterward and I find myself just not concentrating on driving so I just go straight home rather than succumb to a momentary lapse of judgement.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I just sit in my car in the garage and make motor noises with my mouth.
No matter which way I adjust the mirrors all I can see is a brick wall.

Offline Kuleo0z

• Perth Car Spotting

• Name: Matt