Offline HWHL

I have driven my 04 360 F1 for around 2000klm and noticed that it tends to feel very vague at the initial turn in point of a corner, and by vague I mean not alot of feedback through the steering wheel, I wouldn't say pushing the front but not real confidence inspiring.
The car still handles fantastic, but is there a way they need to be set up for more feedback on corner entry??
Tyres are all good including pressures

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

What alignment are you running?

Its part of a major service to check and set wheel alignment but i only know one service centre that does it then ;)

Most wait until asked.

Offline HWHL

What alignment are you running?

Its part of a major service to check and set wheel alignment but i only know one service centre that does it then ;)

Most wait until asked.

I don't know where it is set but its booked in for a 12 months service next week at Maranello, that's why I asked to get some opinions and ill get them to check it whilst its there.

• Soap Dodger

And yes. All road cars are designed to understeer nowadays, so that you are more likely to crash head on, and that the air bags and seat belts will work for you that way.

You can increase feel and bite by changing camber, caster and toe. Also ride height can help too.

But often, it just needs to be set as per manufacturers specs to feel better than some grease monkey at a tyre store set it.

Very few tyre sellers regularly check/calibrrate their machines, and even if they do, theres plenty of scope for human error to incorrectly perform the alignment check/adjustment.

• Soap Dodger

I don't know where it is set but its booked in for a 12 months service next week at Maranello, that's why I asked to get some opinions and ill get them to check it whilst its there.

Maranello have all the race gear, so they should be able to do it right.

A 12 month/annual service doesn't include an alignment, but of course if you request it, they'll do it.

• Soap Dodger

I just tickled up 360C s 430 scud to achieve similar requirements to yours....

He'll let you know how it feels now??

I sent him pics of it being aligned and cornerweighted, he can post them up.

Offline HWHL

I just tickled up 360C s 430 scud to achieve similar requirements to yours....

He'll let you know how it feels now??

I sent him pics of it being aligned and cornerweighted, he can post them up.

Great thanks for that ill get them to check the alignment. When I had a HSV and put that on the track a few years ago I ended up leaving the track settings on the car because it made it handle that much better, not really good for tyre life but a much better drive.
I'm hoping to do a Phillip island track day early next year what tyres would you recommend?

• Soap Dodger

PI is too tyre hungry for any road legal tyre to be ideal, but Pirelli Trofeo R are the best available.

Dont use toyo or kumho. They are too soft in the sidewall, dangerously so.

You'll needs lots of camber at PI to protect the outer edge, but if you've done racing, you'll soon realise tracking road cars is fruitless and expensive.

Offline JJ

but if you've done racing, you'll soon realise tracking road cars is fruitless and expensive.

Good advice.

A compromise for both sees you with something that is uncomfortable in either environment.

Offline HWHL

PI is too tyre hungry for any road legal tyre to be ideal, but Pirelli Trofeo R are the best available.

Dont use toyo or kumho. They are too soft in the sidewall, dangerously so.

You'll needs lots of camber at PI to protect the outer edge, but if you've done racing, you'll soon realise tracking road cars is fruitless and expensive.

Yeah I'm not really interested in making it a track car, I know PI pretty well and just want to be able see how it goes without worrying about making the nightly news.
But a bit more feel from the front on turn in would be great.