Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I disagree. I hated the 360 and would have dumped it with the standard TCU. With the Challenge TCU in it's been great. Considering the relative bang for buck I'd do it again in a sec.

well, then your original TCU was out of adjustment. simple.

edit...

I've driven and adjusted at least 30 different 360's... I've seen how they behave with new and old clutches, and in or out of adjustemnt.

It's easy to see/understand/appreciate  that if you only tried one bad car, you'd hate it.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
well, then your original TCU was out of adjustment. simple.

That's a bit arrogant, seeing as you'd never seen the car, nor have any idea how I drove it.

I've driven probably half a dozen 1999/2000's and the clunkyness of the old software makes them absolutely shit to drive in any kind of traffic.
C'mon, do it!

• Soap Dodger

That's a bit arrogant, seeing as you'd never seen the car, nor have any idea how I drove it.

I've driven probably half a dozen 1999/2000's and the clunkyness of the old software makes them absolutely shit to drive in any kind of traffic.

I edited to reduce arrogance!

But I stand by what I said...

A properly adjusted early car in good condition is quite drivable and easy to tolerate... WAY WAY from perfect mind you... but certainly not a "hate" thing.

The later cars are better for sure, and tolerate being out of adjustment better too....

I'd guess that MOST early cars are being driven in a state less than optimal

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

I'm quite sure the car was calibrated properly. The big problem with the 1999 TCU was the propensity to drop into neutral at the lights, then not change into first. When this randomly happened it took an ignition off/on to fix it.... most of the time. I've met more than one owner with the same problem.

2003 Challenge TCU dropped in, zero changes through the SD2, and it was consistent and reliable. Yep - I did hate the car with the old and really enjoy it with the new.
C'mon, do it!

• Soap Dodger

I'm quite sure the car was calibrated properly. The big problem with the 1999 TCU was the propensity to drop into neutral at the lights, then not change into first. When this randomly happened it took an ignition off/on to fix it.... most of the time. I've met more than one owner with the same problem.

2003 Challenge TCU dropped in, zero changes through the SD2, and it was consistent and reliable. Yep - I did hate the car with the old and really enjoy it with the new.

Ok... well,, firstly the 1999 will NOT drop into neutral if you keep the brake applied... which you kinda should anyway.... just basic driving habits that one.

When it has dropped into N after 5 seconds of inactivity (as designed) all it needs is a cycle of the BRAKE pedal ON/OFF/ON... NOT an ignition cycle... of course, hard to know and especially stupid to do, but certainly better than having to do ign cycle.

Also rememebr this... the car WILL start if it's in gear... but you have to have the brake pressed AND as it starts it will take it out of gear automatically.... AND then you'll need to do a brake pedal cycle before it'll accept a gear...

all stupid etc etc etc... but ultimately, once learned, not as undrivable as you think.

Further... it is ESSENTIAL to perform a "self learn" when changing the TCU. NOT doing so can prematurely wear the selector forks, and or clutch.

• Soap Dodger

and god help those that spin the car! When the computers sense the car spinning, or wheel speed anomolies generally, they get all angry and gnarly and can be real bitches....

Also, the brake pedal cycles cannot be rushed.. you have to hold them for about half a second or so... the sampling rate of TCU inputs is PAINFULLY slow....

Hence... get a 430  :thumbsup:

• Soap Dodger

FWIW, ALL proper Challenge race car TCU's (like Allan has) are exactly the same program.... whether it's 1999 or 2003... it's the rules for the race series.... there is no part numbers allowable to change.

This does not apply to Challenge stradale.... which are not race cars.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
hey Ferrari fixer, so your saying that if the car drops into neutral and is stuck that if you do the brake cycle thingy it will work 100% of the time? I only ask because i'm looking to buy a 2000 360 in the next few days and i'd like to know these things before hand.
Enjoying Life!!!!

• Soap Dodger

hey Ferrari fixer, so your saying that if the car drops into neutral and is stuck that if you do the brake cycle thingy it will work 100% of the time? I only ask because i'm looking to buy a 2000 360 in the next few days and i'd like to know these things before hand.

yes, providing the reason it dropped out is just inactivity.

If it sensed irregular wheel speed/direction, then it may take another go, or just take longer etc.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head