Offline nicholden

• Drives: 360 F1 Spider
Hey Al,

Hope all is well and your 'resurrected' 355 looks awesome! I have replaced the clutch in the 360 and all is now good. The guy in the US was awesome and very helpful with the parts, thanks.
Just reading this thread and wondered if you have any contacts for an upgraded TCU or does anyone have one for sale on here? The car is a is a 2001 F1 Spider.

Thanks, Nick

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Hi mate,

So glad you got that one on the road!

Try Daniel at Ricambi in the US. Tell him Allan sent you and he should give you a bit of a discount. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade!
C'mon, do it!

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
Hi mate,

So glad you got that one on the road!

Try Daniel at Ricambi in the US. Tell him Allan sent you and he should give you a bit of a discount. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade!
Hello all,
i just got my car TCU reprogrammed, much, much better,
That berlinetta is looking pretty classy now, so it was the injectors eh??
I am finally at 1 with my car.....took it to heasemen steering and suspension, turns out the back of it was so far out, she was slightly crab-walking.?.! Dont know how possible that is, seeing i had it inspected by 3 different people, and they all said it has NEVER been in a big shunt.....anyways
Couple of spacers, a proper alignment, all good baby. up for a drive now, should be even faster than usual.
Everything looks better in carbon fibre

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Sorry if it has been mentioned before but Is their much difference with the challenge ecu and a standard ecu? I thought the main difference is the car didn't drop into neutral at traffic lights as quickly if you dont have your foot on the brake?

PS: When is the next get together in Sydney? I want to hear some different 360 exhausts   ;)
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Wheel alignment is part of regular servicing. It's on the coupon and if you service your car properly, it will be taken care of.

In theory, nothing much should change, but things do.

Mainly, rubber bushes settle and ride height may settle too, or ride height often gets adjusted, which affects alignment.

Also, things like the rear toe links rubber bush or even steering rack parts can wear, making the alignment change.

Of course, some people just mess with stuff they shouldn't, too.

Challenge (NOT challenge stradale) TCU's shift very similarly to road cars 99 version pretty much. The clutch operation is a little different though as it's meant for the sintered bronze paddle clutch.

It is important to have a Challenge TCU set to sport all the time, otherwise it doesn't work as it should either. On an actual challenge car, there is no sport switch, it's removed and the connection is permanently jumped.

Offline nicholden

Hello all,
i just got my car TCU reprogrammed, much, much better,
That berlinetta is looking pretty classy now, so it was the injectors eh??
I am finally at 1 with my car.....took it to heasemen steering and suspension, turns out the back of it was so far out, she was slightly crab-walking.?.! Dont know how possible that is, seeing i had it inspected by 3 different people, and they all said it has NEVER been in a big shunt.....anyways
Couple of spacers, a proper alignment, all good baby. up for a drive now, should be even faster than usual.

Hi ferrarista2,

Can i ask who or where re programmed your TCU? 
If i do get another TCU or the original re programmed will i then need to get the PIS reset by a shop with the scan equiptment?  Or does the TCU not control this function?

Thanks, Nick

• Soap Dodger

Hi ferrarista2,

Can i ask who or where re programmed your TCU? 
If i do get another TCU or the original re programmed will i then need to get the PIS reset by a shop with the scan equiptment?  Or does the TCU not control this function?

Thanks, Nick

I'm intrigued too... I assume he means he had the clutch adjusted/PIS re-set etc... rather than actually re-programmed.

When you change TCU, you must do a system self learn, and also carry across your current clutch settings as a starting point. Although, depending on TCU variants (there are 6 types), some settings are not transferable.

Yes, you'll need someone with more than a scan tool. some aftermarket scan tools can read errors etc, but can't adjust clutch settings. The SD2 will need to have all types of TCU software on them, or available, to cover all eventualities.

Remember too that vehicle mileage is stored in the TCU, so if you get a used one, you'll want to know what it is to avoid conflicting information on odometer.

Offline nicholden

I'm intrigued too... I assume he means he had the clutch adjusted/PIS re-set etc... rather than actually re-programmed.

When you change TCU, you must do a system self learn, and also carry across your current clutch settings as a starting point. Although, depending on TCU variants (there are 6 types), some settings are not transferable.

Yes, you'll need someone with more than a scan tool. some aftermarket scan tools can read errors etc, but can't adjust clutch settings. The SD2 will need to have all types of TCU software on them, or available, to cover all eventualities.

Remember too that vehicle mileage is stored in the TCU, so if you get a used one, you'll want to know what it is to avoid conflicting information on odometer.

There is a guy on ebay (USA) that is advertising re programmed units on an exchange basis

- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FERRARI-360-F1-TRANSMISSION-CONTROL-UNIT-UPGRADE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5191f21179QQitemZ350340911481QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I need to get my PIS reset/adjusted after the clutch replacement so i didnt want to go and have it done only to change the TCU in a few weeks and have to get it done again.

I have not been driving the car since the clutch replacement (apart from the initial test drive) as I was concerned about the effects of an incorret clutch adjustment.

• Soap Dodger

ah interesting thanks, I hadn't seen anyone doing it yet.

I had a few done through a source in italy, but there was a factory fire and they lost all their gear  :doh:

After a clutch change, you can drive it safely for a while, so long as the clutch is not slipping too badly, or the gears too "clunky".

But you should get it re-set as soon as practical.

Don't know who you use, but it can be done in under 10 minutes by anyone with SD2, so they shouldn't charge too much for it.

I do a few for other shops that just drive the car to me after they've done the job.

Offline nicholden

ah interesting thanks, I hadn't seen anyone doing it yet.

I had a few done through a source in italy, but there was a factory fire and they lost all their gear  :doh:

After a clutch change, you can drive it safely for a while, so long as the clutch is not slipping too badly, or the gears too "clunky".

But you should get it re-set as soon as practical.

Don't know who you use, but it can be done in under 10 minutes by anyone with SD2, so they shouldn't charge too much for it.

I do a few for other shops that just drive the car to me after they've done the job.

Thanks for the advise, are you based in Sydney? If so i would be interested to have you do it if you are interested.

The clutch was okay before (only 70% worn) but the rear main was pouring out. I didnt want to pull the box out without doing a clutch though.

The clutch does appear to be out of adjustment now though with what i think is excessive slip on take off.

I had a friend help (or do it!) who worked as a mehanic for HR Owens in London for many years so he has done many 360's before.

Cheers, Nick