Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
hey Ferrari fixer, so your saying that if the car drops into neutral and is stuck that if you do the brake cycle thingy it will work 100% of the time? I only ask because i'm looking to buy a 2000 360 in the next few days and i'd like to know these things before hand.

Wow back in the days when I was looking for a black/coupe/ highish milage 2000 model modena lol, i'm glad I didn't buy that shonky car now  :thumbsup:
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
I have just recieved the re programmed TCU  from the States.

Can i simply isolate the battery and plug the new one in? re activate the battery and bingo?!  This is what the guy that sold it infered.

I have held off driving the car until this arrived. If my plan above is okay i presume i can then take it to the dealer to have the PIS adjusted or should i have the dealer fit it?

Do they have to suck any info off the old unit first?

Thanks, Nick

Hi mate. Mine's from a Challenge and dropped right in. Cycled the battery using the isolator and bingo - didn't even need a visit to the shop. If you're near one you trust though, might be safer to take it in and have it checked at the same time!
C'mon, do it!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
ok, as allan discovered, it's possible that it'll work by just plugging it in and trying it out.

But if you don't do a self learn (and/or full cycle) procedure (using SD2) you could have problems. Selection and engagement errors are the most likely and could actually lead to mis shifts and wear on the selector mechanisms.($$$$$$)

Clutch settings can be re-learned to some extent with use and cycling. But it's hit and miss. Only way to be sure is SD2.

and YES, there is a mileage stored in the TCU. You cannot write a new value into a new TCU, but you can delete whats there (on most software versions but not all). The correct/best/honest thing to do is to put a label on the TCU with date changed and the vehicle odometer reading, and the TCU mileage if you can access it (with SD2).

Also in the old TCU, there will be the clutch values that ideally need to be transferred over to the new TCU, but as you've changed the clutch too, this isn't the end of the world. But it does make setting the clutch up with the SD2 even more important than simply relying on a bedded/settled clutch to "take up the slack" (like allan has) ... pun intended.

Offline lukep6470

Since the Maserati and Ferrari CC/F1 gearboxes are so similar is the 360 CS TCU compatible with the 4200? 

The TCU swap could be a "cheap" way to get Gransport like gearbox control in a 4200.

Offline lukep6470

ok, as allan discovered, it's possible that it'll work by just plugging it in and trying it out.

But if you don't do a self learn (and/or full cycle) procedure (using SD2) you could have problems. Selection and engagement errors are the most likely and could actually lead to mis shifts and wear on the selector mechanisms.($$$$$$)

Clutch settings can be re-learned to some extent with use and cycling. But it's hit and miss. Only way to be sure is SD2.

and YES, there is a mileage stored in the TCU. You cannot write a new value into a new TCU, but you can delete whats there (on most software versions but not all). The correct/best/honest thing to do is to put a label on the TCU with date changed and the vehicle odometer reading, and the TCU mileage if you can access it (with SD2).

Also in the old TCU, there will be the clutch values that ideally need to be transferred over to the new TCU, but as you've changed the clutch too, this isn't the end of the world. But it does make setting the clutch up with the SD2 even more important than simply relying on a bedded/settled clutch to "take up the slack" (like allan has) ... pun intended.

So the guy on youtube who swapped his 360 clutch and didn't bother with a re-learn will probably post a "dead 360" video soon?

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
So the guy on youtube who swapped his 360 clutch and didn't bother with a re-learn will probably post a "dead 360" video soon?

not necessarily. His clutch may work ok, it may work to soem extent for some time, and simply burn out earlier than it would otherwise.

In the race team here, where I looked after up to 12 of these things at a time, sometimes there was not enough time at the track to set things up. Often, they worked ok and we'd set them up properly later.

Set up is as much about longevity as it is operation.

You can't swap Maserati into Ferrari, or v/v.

Offline nicholden

• Drives: 360 F1 Spider
hey nick,
i use a guy called michael in artarmon called scuderia servicio, they took over ferrari/maserati's workshop.
i purchased a tcu which they programmed with an sd5 machine.
Gears are still a little cluncky put it picks up alot better than before.
Seeing you have a 2001 model, i think Louie can re programme your one without changing it, but i am not sure how good he is, they have suprised me on a couple of occasions.
If not, Andrea Motori is directly across the road in a red brick building, it is said that he is a good mechanic, but with tcu/programming, he may not be.
Clear as mud?? Thought so!
Head guy at Ferrari Sydney (Giovanni) is great, but he has no time for anyone and will say he will work on your car but doesn't, not worth the expense.
Good Luck

Hi,

Do you have the contact details for the shop (michael) in Artarmon? I cant seem to find them on the net.

Thanks, Nick

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
Hi,

Do you have the contact details for the shop (michael) in Artarmon? I cant seem to find them on the net.

Thanks, Nick
scuderia servicio
Everything looks better in carbon fibre

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
scuderia servicio      9461 2722,
tell him i sent you
Everything looks better in carbon fibre

Offline 4Looks

hey nick,
i use a guy called michael in artarmon called scuderia servicio, they took over ferrari/maserati's workshop.
i purchased a tcu which they programmed with an sd5 machine.
Gears are still a little cluncky put it picks up alot better than before.
Seeing you have a 2001 model, i think Louie can re programme your one without changing it, but i am not sure how good he is, they have suprised me on a couple of occasions.
If not, Andrea Motori is directly across the road in a red brick building, it is said that he is a good mechanic, but with tcu/programming, he may not be.
Clear as mud?? Thought so!
Head guy at Ferrari Sydney (Giovanni) is great, but he has no time for anyone and will say he will work on your car but doesn't, not worth the expense.
Good Luck

I highly recommend Andrea at Andrea Motori in Artarmon. You will be looked after there. They are in Artarmon and do a great job. The prices are very good and the service taken is always A+++++ Standard. I never take my car to anyone else. He spent the past 20+ years as head service manager for Ferrari and Maserati dealership.
Check out their website
www.andreamotori.com.au