Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
That link you posted said they have more down force with no extra drag.

I'd still put money on improved electronics and a trick diff making the difference.

How does the diff help with braking? Does it do something electronically or mechanically to keep the bodyweight or put extra load on the rear tyres while braking?

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
How does the diff help with braking? Does it do something electronically or mechanically to keep the bodyweight or put extra load on the rear tyres while braking?

Don't ask me where I read it because I forget, but electronically equalising some sort of load or giving stability or something like that. The Ferrari has had a magic electronic controlled diff since the 430 I think. No reason to think it doesn't keep getting better and better like everything else

If ABS works better and the diff does a better job of stabilising the rear, that could give better braking without anything else changing. It's all about optimising the amount of grip on all 4 corners.....or at least that makes sense to me.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline j15

Re the electronics comments I imagine that the e-diff is taking continuous measurements of grip, etc and is able to modulate brake pressure on individual wheels.

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
Don't ask me where I read it because I forget, but electronically equalising some sort of load or giving stability or something like that. The Ferrari has had a magic electronic controlled diff since the 430 I think. No reason to think it doesn't keep getting better and better like everything else

If ABS works better and the diff does a better job of stabilising the rear, that could give better braking without anything else changing. It's all about optimising the amount of grip on all 4 corners.....or at least that makes sense to me.

The E diff works via the F1 pump and under the same high pressure (42-53 bar). The diff is unlike the positraction or limited slip diffs of old. Ferrari do away with clutches and rely on actuators that are computer controlled. The system is more complex than the F1 gear change and on the race cars they do away with the E diff. Most people could not handle 500+ HP on a good day and Ferrari have systems in place to assist the driver. Race cars use mechanical grip instead of computers and in a track situation its the KIS principle.
Mercedes Benz have fail safe mechanisms in place on their 63 AMG range where if you turn the traction control off the computer still has control so the swings and roundabouts in the wet don't become 360's. The manettino knob on the 430 in race made is similar to the actual race car but I'm not sure if the computer still has input. As Ferrari are getting more HP from their engines they need to make up for lack of talent in the driver by having systems in place to "save" the driver. I doubt anyone who drives a 430 upwards on the limit on the street would feel the system working…….but it is working because the car corners and handles more precisely thus giving the driver the feel they are Schumi but in fact the computers are doing the work rather than plain talent.
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver

Re the electronics comments I imagine that the e-diff is taking continuous measurements of grip, etc and is able to modulate brake pressure on individual wheels.

the E diff holds the car on the road, the computer/s are doing the work at millisecond speeds. I still don't understand how someone could get a 430 etc out of control on the street. The brain surgeon who developed the software is a true rocket scientist, the algorithm is something like 26 characters long and thats just for the ABS, I reckon a cray water cooled computer would be needed to do all the other aspects.
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver

As each model progresses we will see better and better versions of the old ASR system that was on the 360.
My Vespa 946 has ASR and it is taken directly from the Ferrari/ Fiat parts bin. The computer goes bananas if the rear wheel is operating whilst the front wheel is stationary, the Ferrari/ Fiat stuff is the same.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
I reckon that time difference would be very minimal on normal road tyres.

Minimal can still add up to a bucket of metres. PP's point about diffs/electronics is also valid - whatever can get the car to maximum retardation and to keep it there will shorten braking distance. (No, that does not mean tying Mondi to the car).

That is also impacted by a combination of downforce (if any under braking) and air force retardation (air brakes, closing smart air routing to create more surface area etc etc). Better springs, dampers etc also distribute the braking contact/retardation closer to all 4 wheels, rather than the front two. That's a huge impact on final distance.

So much science ... we did some modelling of systems for a totally different reason for trucking companies that included some of this in discussion.
C'mon, do it!

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
PP's point about diffs/electronics is also valid

Well that goes without saying! :)
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

I remember Stirling Moss saying the F1 cars of today stop quicker with just the drag from the wings than the brakes on his F1 car back in the 60's.

Offline dkabab