Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

That's what I thought but there's always a twist to the story and if anyone knows it all it's Phil.

I agree.  ;)

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

That's what I thought but there's always a twist to the story and if anyone knows it all it's Phil.
I agree.  ;)

:D

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Im thinking she listed it in the 550 section because she was offering it for sale at 550 prices.
People looking at buying a 550 thinking they cant afford a 575 would think it was a bargain and be attracted, hopefully getting her a quicker sale.

Main difference is probably the F1 shift in the 575 and maybe some more horsepower with only stick shift in the 550.

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Off memory, phil thought the 550 was a better all round car in a thread about both models.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Off memory, phil thought the 550 was a better all round car in a thread about both models.

Saw that I'm not sure if he meant because it was cheaper or not, he was talking about what he might get.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

They both look a little dated now.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I don't know it all, just more than most! I'm constantly working on the bits I don't know too.  :tilt:

IMO 550 is a better car. And judging by prices for comparable mileage/condition cars, price would reflect my opinion.
575 are now worth less than 550.

My opinion is based on personal experience of many cars now... maybe 15 different 550,s and half a dozen different 575's.

A 550 is more of a drivers experience, the cable operated throttle being the most important aspect. 550 has a tighter ride but 575 have the US market targeted soft roly poly suspension/shocks, and the F1 shift really is a bit crap at urban speeds. Fine over 80km/h though, really it is.

550 have nicer cockpit environment IMO, but both are not perfect FWIW.

Stick shift is important... they are so flexible. You can pull away from 0 in 3rd gear without using any throttle at all, and silentyl glide to stupid speeds... stealth like... I drive in 3rd and 5th only in 550 when just getting about. For hill start you need 2nd. Trying to use all 6 gears makes for slow progress unless actually going hard in all the gears. You CAN get 575 with stick shift though, just not ozzie cars. But the fly by wire throttle and soft shocks spoil it still, IMO.

I wouldn't have a 575 at any price, but I'm actively looking for a 550, of a certain type....

550's are holding up better over time with collectability, thery simply made too many 575.

BOTH are great cars though...but I'd have 550.

Offline dkabab

Didn't they improve the 575 with the hgtc pack. Harder springs, better steering, ceramic discs etc...

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I don't know it all, just more than most! I'm constantly working on the bits I don't know too.  :tilt:
IMO 550 is a better car. And judging by prices for comparable mileage/condition cars, price would reflect my opinion.
575 are now worth less than 550.
My opinion is based on personal experience of many cars now... maybe 15 different 550,s and half a dozen different 575's.
A 550 is more of a drivers experience, the cable operated throttle being the most important aspect. 550 has a tighter ride but 575 have the US market targeted soft roly poly suspension/shocks, and the F1 shift really is a bit crap at urban speeds. Fine over 80km/h though, really it is.
550 have nicer cockpit environment IMO, but both are not perfect FWIW.
Stick shift is important... they are so flexible. You can pull away from 0 in 3rd gear without using any throttle at all, and silentyl glide to stupid speeds... stealth like... I drive in 3rd and 5th only in 550 when just getting about. For hill start you need 2nd. Trying to use all 6 gears makes for slow progress unless actually going hard in all the gears. You CAN get 575 with stick shift though, just not ozzie cars. But the fly by wire throttle and soft shocks spoil it still, IMO.
I wouldn't have a 575 at any price, but I'm actively looking for a 550, of a certain type....
550's are holding up better over time with collectability, thery simply made too many 575.
BOTH are great cars though...but I'd have 550

Thanks ff..........

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Didn't they improve the 575 with the hgtc pack. Harder springs, better steering, ceramic discs etc...

Yes, but they improved the 550 with FHP too...

575 HGTC still has soggy shocks, ceramic brakes are really just expensive brakes, they don't offer much to the road user (longer life maybe, but cost outweighs benefit), and the track user just shits himself when he goes through the gravel and cracks them all costing ~$40k.

Steering upgrade is just an ecu.. which 550 FHP has too, and can be retro fitted easily.

Even then it's really a very minor upgrade.

550 is a better car and rarer, less dependance on SD2/dealers too.