Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
Seriously. People on here write the dumbest crap.

To say if its an import there is no way the clutch is 11% is retarded.

Please explain how the country a Ferrari was first delivered to has a direct relationship to its clutch wear?

Errrr.....sd3 machine can clear clutch wear to 0 % at anytime.....that's why I said, if there proof via a receipt of a new clutch, then it's granted, if not, it has been reset.....you will get 11% clutch wear driving 1000 km's or less......it's not dumb crap, it's fact...ask anyone who knows a little about it, and they will tell you...even wattens will agree!!  :D

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Errrr.....sd3 machine can clear clutch wear to 0 % at anytime.....that's why I said, if there proof via a receipt of a new clutch, then it's granted, if not, it has been reset.....you will get 11% clutch wear driving 1000 km's or less......it's not dumb crap, it's fact...ask anyone who knows a little about it, and they will tell you...even wattens will agree!!  :D

I have to agree as i've been told something similar about reset, although I have not seen anyone actually do it and get caught doing it. A clutch is one of those consumables that you sometimes just have to do sooner or later unless you flog it off before it's due.

They arn't as expensive as people say they are though and installation is not extremely complicated or very time consuming (by exotic standards) assuming the mechanic has sd2/3 to adjust the clutch properly so you don't eat the whole thing in a couple of months.

Pre 2003 360's eat clutches much faster compared to the updated TCU versions, So any 2002 model or earlier that says 11% clutch on original clutch is bullshitting or it can not be measure properly.

Having said that just because the clutch reading says 11% worn does not mean it is lieing. My old Aussie 2002 model showed 40-50% clutch left but was dropping out of gear when shifting up sometimes and got worse. Mechanic says seems like a glazed or cracked clutch that made the sensor think it was slipping or something so the computer immediately put it into neutral by itself. Sure enough clutch was glazed and had a crack in it. At the time it only had 15 000km on original clutch, I did around 6000 on it with no problems before it needed replacing even though the clutch meat was only half gone.    Oh well, not like it cost $10k for it (probably what the dealer wants to do it, I didn't even ask the dealership for a quote).  A 360clutch installed by a good independent should be around $3500 - $4500. If you buy clutch from overseas and are close with your mechanic expect around $3-$4k. So it won't break the bank should it have to be done.

I have been shown how easy it is to simply change the clutch % on a standard computer (pc) when you go to print the readings out, literally takes 10 seconds when it is on the PC ready for printing. I'd imagine most of the fake clutch readings are done this way. Get a clutch reading done somewhere else.

Unless there is proof the car has had a clutch change, assume it hasn't been done. Let the seller know this as well. Also it isn't like reciepts can not be forged either lol. A bit of a mine field but clutch is least of your worries. 

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Looking at the milage though, in my opinion I could see it plausable it has gone through one clutch already and has been done fairly recently. But after having both the older 360 and one of the last ones to come off the production line. I would ALWAYS get the later car.   Just feels much smoother to drive, especially when comming to a stop, stuck in traffic, trying to park it ect...

You just don't feel as tired in the later models as you do if you have been driving the earlier cars. Hard to explain to people who haven't been in both.

Also I have never come across two 360's that drive the same. Every car is slightly different in every aspect, some feel smother, some have lighter steering, some sound angrier, some feel faster.

Just my opinion.

Offline barra

I know clutch readouts can be bodged.  they can be bodged on imports, and believe it or not, on Aussies too.  amazing. or wait, no its not, because they are the same car.

buy a stick shift, their clutches last about 3x longer and cost half as much to do.

but to clarify for anyone hoping to learn from this thread, an import can have an 11% worn clutch, because where it was sold new has no relation to its clutch wear.

Offline ferrarista2

I know clutch readouts can be bodged.  they can be bodged on imports, and believe it or not, on Aussies too.  amazing. or wait, no its not, because they are the same

but to clarify for anyone hoping to learn from this thread, an import can have an 11% worn clutch, because where it was sold new has no relation to its clutch wear.
I have learnt, thank you...

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Stick shift clutch costs half as much????? Really??? Can you find me some???  Lol

He was just saying he finds it hard to believe a fresh off the boat import bought by a car importer for the purpose of profit making will come with a near new clutch. He isn't saying it is an import so the clutch is 100% gone. Although he did say it in a stupid way to begin with lol.  :)

If it does come with a near new clutch then good on to who ever ends up with that bit of good luck.

Changing cogs yourself does not always mean the clutch will last longer than auto clutch cars. If for instance you are stuck in traffic, CBD driving and steep hills from a standing start, then yeah a traditional manual should last longer. But If you drive the cars how they are meant to be driven, taking off spiritedly and on long windy twisty roads, there would be next to no difference in clutch ware. 

It's all well and good that you like your stick shift, but dont make up things about F1/ auto clutch cars when there are people who read this thread trying to weigh up the benefits of one type of transmission over the other.

Offline ferrarista2

Stick shift clutch costs half as much????? Really??? Can you find me some???  Lol

He was just saying he finds it hard to believe a fresh off the boat import bought by a car importer for the purpose of profit making will come with a near new clutch. He isn't saying it is an import so the clutch is 100% gone. Although he did say it in a stupid way to begin with lol.  :)

If it does come with a near new clutch then good on to who ever ends up with that bit of good luck.

Changing cogs yourself does not always mean the clutch will last longer than auto clutch cars. If for instance you are stuck in traffic, CBD driving and steep hills from a standing start, then yeah a traditional manual should last longer. But If you drive the cars how they are meant to be driven, taking off spiritedly and on long windy twisty roads, there would be next to no difference in clutch ware. 

It's all well and good that you like your stick shift, but dont make up things about F1/ auto clutch cars when there are people who read this thread trying to weigh up the benefits of one type of transmission over the other.
No, what I was saying was that if there is no receipt for a new clutch and it shows 11% wear, it's not a new clutch and it has been reset.....on this note, I will now proceed to give up on this topic and am ready to move on  :melting:

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Seriously. People on here write the dumbest crap.

To say if its an import there is no way the clutch is 11% is retarded.

Please explain how the country a Ferrari was first delivered to has a direct relationship to its clutch wear?

If you are trying to say that a fresh of the boat, half decent colour combo, reasonable mileage Ferrari for 110k sounds too good to be true and should be approached with caution, I agree.  But ridiculous statements like yours don't help anyone.

I think you will be flat out getting a better car for that money.  Or its a shitbox. Look at the replacement cost... in the last 2 years I've monitored UK 360 prices I haven't seen any cars worth buying under 45,000 gbp.  50k gbp is a more reasonable budget if you want decent colour combo, not crashed, less than 25,000miles.
So 50 x 1.47 is 74k.  Put that in ashes import calculator is 100k add 25k for decent compliance and local transport costs etc. 

125k already, not to mention cost of ppi.  Cost of ppi for cars that turn out to be shit.  Cost of capital.  Cost of money exchange etc etc.  Wait 3 months and the risk of it all falling apart and it still being a junker.

All the crap is part of the charm of the internets    :)

What always intrigues me is that people about to spend 100K+ on a very, very exclusive luxury item still need to visit forums for good advice and feedback. It's a weird reflection that most of us feel we can't trust dealers or salesmen - but will trust random, variously qualified people on the web.

There's some good info here, and some shit. It's free, so I don't think anyone can complain too much and I wish forums had been more robust back when I bought my first Ferrari. The guys that have these cars and post are IMHO legends, as many don't need to spend the time to help and regardless of motivations the info is gold.

As a general point of interest - I just sold my Grigio Alloy (silver blue), imported, F1, tracked, modded 360 for a shade under 100K (cash money, which is a nice story I'll post pictures on shortly).

The guy who bought it HATED black and red (so for those commenting about the 'best' colours - I think perhaps you also forget humans have their own preferences) and he was going to drive the wheels off it, and track it - so was just not interested in a perfect garage queen, but a car with a history of running hard and reliably. I also knew my car well, had done the 'needed' stuff for a 360 (Hill tensioners, suspension bits, aftermarket headers, aftermarket cats, carbon air boxes etc etc) and could take the guy out to show him the car and every button/switch/dial working perfectly.

End of the day, you just need one buyer who's motivated by the same things that attracted you to the car, who has the money.

There's also a lot of talk here about 'on paper' checking of the car. I still believe (and I'm doing it now) that test driving with someone who knows the type of car is by far the best indication of whether it's going to be trouble. I don't mean a 5 minute run around the block either, but a proper long, get stuck in traffic and see if it overheats, stop it, start it, stop it, get it rained on  (if you can  :)  )  drive.

To the buyers here, good luck. To the sellers ... good luck   :D

Offline ferrarista2

All the crap is part of the charm of the internets    :)

What always intrigues me is that people about to spend 100K+ on a very, very exclusive luxury item still need to visit forums for good advice and feedback. It's a weird reflection that most of us feel we can't trust dealers or salesmen - but will trust random, variously qualified people on the web.

There's some good info here, and some shit. It's free, so I don't think anyone can complain too much and I wish forums had been more robust back when I bought my first Ferrari. The guys that have these cars and post are IMHO legends, as many don't need to spend the time to help and regardless of motivations the info is gold.

As a general point of interest - I just sold my Grigio Alloy (silver blue), imported, F1, tracked, modded 360 for a shade under 100K (cash money, which is a nice story I'll post pictures on shortly).

The guy who bought it HATED black and red (so for those commenting about the 'best' colours - I think perhaps you also forget humans have their own preferences) and he was going to drive the wheels off it, and track it - so was just not interested in a perfect garage queen, but a car with a history of running hard and reliably. I also knew my car well, had done the 'needed' stuff for a 360 (Hill tensioners, suspension bits, aftermarket headers, aftermarket cats, carbon air boxes etc etc) and could take the guy out to show him the car and every button/switch/dial working perfectly.

End of the day, you just need one buyer who's motivated by the same things that attracted you to the car, who has the money.

There's also a lot of talk here about 'on paper' checking of the car. I still believe (and I'm doing it now) that test driving with someone who knows the type of car is by far the best indication of whether it's going to be trouble. I don't mean a 5 minute run around the block either, but a proper long, get stuck in traffic and see if it overheats, stop it, start it, stop it, get it rained on  (if you can  :)  )  drive.

To the buyers here, good luck. To the sellers ... good luck   :D
Al, I thought your car was awesome....great track car and always well looked after....whoever got that purchased a bargain IMO...
Just wondering if you have any 360 parts you may have kept that you want to get rid of....PM me if you do, cheers

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.
normally i would agree with you 100%

however how about if you have the absolute cheapest of what ever you are trying to sell, and it still doesn't sell.  that tells me that people aren't parting with $$$ these days.

It still means it is overpriced.

You may want $250K for your F430.
The Red Book may say $250K
Everyone may say yours is the best there is.

But if you have not sold it in 6 months, it is overpriced for the market as the market currently stands.
Even in the slowest market things change hands..... they just do so at lower prices.

I am not being a smart arse, I am being a realist.
The current state of the market means a lot of people with 360's and F430's for sale, will be forced to bite the bullet it they want a sale.

:scratchchin: