Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
I've just fitted the Black Stallion ignition system to my 308GTB after having used it in my ex GT4 and loving it. It looks very similar to the single distributor set up of a 308, with all the non standard looking bits hidden. The ignition curve is programmable and is all controlled by a box hidden in the boot. There is also a switch which you can flick to use a different curve just in case you're stuck somewhere where you can't find high octane fuel...and nice idea too.

When I had this system in my GT4 I drove it in all sorts of conditions including a day of 40deg and it never missed a beat and idled the same way every single time.

Apart from being maintenance free and optimised, it never varied, which the original system always did, from day to day and hour to hour.

Yesterday I saw an ICE system. This is meant to be an alternative. However, it still uses the points (but without the current going through it) and the weights on the end of springs to do the ignition advance. I don't get it...what's the bloody point of that?? So the points don't wear out so quickly, but so what? Every day your ignition timing is different because it varies with temperature and, of course, over time, the springs lose tension....and you still have all these moving parts to maintain.

Even the single distributor system that was in my 308 still used the weights and springs for ignition advance. Like WTF?

Anyway, for anyone who has a carby Ferrari and is considering changing to a modern type of ignition without making their car look COMPLETELY different, it's something I'd recommend.

So, that's my opinion on the subject, and certainly I've been very happy with the results previously. I was also speaking to someone who's done 50,000km in a 308 with the BSM system, and it's never missed a beat or needed touching.

The last photo shows the Ferrari single distributor setup which was in my car before, for comparison sake.

I have no affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Aircon

More photos

The last one shows how my car looked before the new system was installed.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Oh, and in this case, your facts are wrong too.

The ICE system you saw may or may not have had points. They are completely flexible.

The ICE system I've used several times now, uses neither points nor mechanical advance.

You can choose what level of system you want, according to budget.

And also, your opinion of how the BSM distributor looks is different to mine.

The ICE system retains completely original distributor, included in the price. For BSM system, that's extra.

I suggest moderators lock and or close this thread, and redirect to previous of the same.

And fwiw, I like and approve of the BSM system, almost as much as the ICE system. But I prefer to stick to original appearance which gives ICE the edge, as the price does too.

But anyone considering a system would do well with either, they're both highly tunable and superbly reliable.

• Soap Dodger

The ignition leads should be red.

If the system is so tunable, why is the distributor installed so far off slot centre?

The distubutor shouldnt have that huge unsightly clip on the cap, like a commodore?

The single dizzy cars have twin coils and a bipolar rotor.

Bipolar, now there's a thing.

• Soap Dodger

*yawn*

It's actually an interesting subject, only the circle jerking is dull.

The ICE system retains the best original appearance, and even on a twin dizzy car, you retain that delicious twin dizzy look, without having to worry about synching timing, as the unit does that.

ICE system also gives you a laptop free tuning ability, and also an upper and lower limiter, so you can hide a switch to activate "teenage son" or "valet park" mode... And you can set your own limits as required.

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
*yawn*

far from yawn, as an owner of several carby Ferraris and carby lambo, this does interest.

Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
It's actually an interesting subject, only the circle jerking is dull.

The ICE system retains the best original appearance, and even on a twin dizzy car, you retain that delicious twin dizzy look, without having to worry about synching timing, as the unit does that.

ICE system also gives you a laptop free tuning ability, and also an upper and lower limiter, so you can hide a switch to activate "teenage son" or "valet park" mode... And you can set your own limits as required.

i didnt know that, thanks
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline Aircon

Actually, the are options with the BSM system.  I could have stuck with my Ferrari distributor and modified the internals but chose not to because:

1. I didn't want to modify my Ferrari distributor
2. You can put much more current through the BSM distributor cap and rotor button.
3. When a cap or rotor needs to be replaced, and the Ferrari ones certainly will, the BSM ones are cheap as chips where the Ferrari ones are $$$$$$

It's just a matter of choice

• Soap Dodger

Actually, the are options with the BSM system.  I could have stuck with my Ferrari distributor and modified the internals but chose not to because:

1. I didn't want to modify my Ferrari distributor
2. You can put much more current through the BSM distributor cap and rotor button.
3. When a cap or rotor needs to be replaced, and the Ferrari ones certainly will, the BSM ones are cheap as chips where the Ferrari ones are $$$$$$

It's just a matter of choice

1, True, you can leave your Ferrari dizzy unmodified, and save for later... or lose it under  a bench somewhere at home, OR, you can choose to use it, every time you drive the car, and show people your lovely engine bay.

2, You don't need more current than a Ferrari cap/rotor can take. If you think you do, you're doing it wrong.

3, Ferrari caps last for ages and ages, in fact, since 1987, I think I've replaced less than half a dozen through wear and tear, and I'm only guessing here as I can't remember the last time I changed one, certainly NONE AT ALL in the last 13 years of full time ferrarifixing. Its usually corrosion or damage caused by clumsy mechanics/owners that gets them. And they're NOT that expensive for how long they last/good they look.

Offline Aircon

1, True, you can leave your Ferrari dizzy unmodified, and save for later... or lose it under  a bench somewhere at home, OR, you can choose to use it, every time you drive the car, and show people your lovely engine bay.

2, You don't need more current than a Ferrari cap/rotor can take. If you think you do, you're doing it wrong.

3, Ferrari caps last for ages and ages, in fact, since 1987, I think I've replaced less than half a dozen through wear and tear, and I'm only guessing here as I can't remember the last time I changed one, certainly NONE AT ALL in the last 13 years of full time ferrarifixing. Its usually corrosion or damage caused by clumsy mechanics/owners that gets them. And they're NOT that expensive for how long they last/good they look.

1. Yes...I bought a Ferrari just so I can show people my engine bay, and making sure it has a standard Ferrari distributor is of vital importance to me. Not only will I not be losing the Ferrari distributor, I still have the ones from the GT4.

2. Need? Maybe not. Does it help? Definitely.

3. You're the first Ferrari mechanic I've ever met who's said they haven't had to change a number of distributor caps over the years, and that they're expensive.

Anyway, my car, my choice....I looked at all the options last time and again this time and in my mind, there's only one way to do it properly, and I've done it that way. I don't want to butcher the standard distributor. If others choose to follow another path, then I believe they do that only because they have a stubborn mechanic or they've been taken for a ride or they just have no idea.

I remember the twin distributor system on my GT4, which had only done 60,000km, was tested on a dizzy machine. Not only did the timing advance at different rates on each one, there were times when the difference between them was up to 8 degrees. I could have spent countless $$$ getting all that sorted, only to have to do it again down the road, or I could put on a maintenance free system which also actually does a much better job. No brainer in my books.

Now that I think about it, anyone want to buy standard Ferrari twin distributors for a 308? I'm certainly never going to use them again.