Offline quattro_joe

• Formula Euro

• Drives: Audi
Hi All

Im looking at buying a Ferrari F355GTS (M5.2, 1997 and up 6 speed manual) in the not too distant future and I have done a bit of online research (such as the355.com), trawling through forums and speaking to general Ferrari owners, however I would like to get some first hand experience of current and past 355 owners, particularly how the car is to drive (I have never had the opportunity to drive one unfortunately), what regular maintenance is involved, costs, common teething issues and things to look out for, etc.

I am also after a price guide for both local and imports, if it is possible to get them imported and if so how much would it be landed? (I know they are very cheap in the US, ive seen them for 40K! But being LHD over there, that's not a viable option unfortunately)

I have a few family members and colleagues who own or have owned Ferrari 360s, and I have had the opportunity to drive that model car on a number of occasions which i have taken and quite enjoyed the car and the experience. However, when i ask them about the 355 they all tell me the 360 is a better car for servicing, costs, less issues, etc, but they are talking from what they have been told by others, hearsay or their mechanic (in some cases who sold them the car!), and havent actually owned one (i.e they are not talking from experience).

I like the 355 as you dont see many on the road, unlike the 360s which have flooded the market, and i am more of a classic Ferrari person (i.e Pre-2000s, if you class that as classic!) + I absolutely love the sound of the F355, especially with a capristo stage 2 or 3!

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Cheers. Joe.

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
The 355GTS is the next car on my 'to do' list, but the only way of ticking that box is to move back to London for a couple of years.  Looking at the latest UK mags the 355 is going up in price, eclipsing the 360.  So the dilemma is to spend more money on the older car or save your dough and go the more reliable / cheaper (not as pretty) option.  Saw a nice 355 GTS on Sunday arvo in Adelaide - very rare site.  New plates, so must have just aquired it.

You could try Fchat, but you'll probably get your head bitten off... :?
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline quattro_joe

• Formula Euro

You could try Fchat, but you'll probably get your head bitten off... :?

Never tried fchat. Are they that bad?? Their forum looks quit extensive...

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Lots of fun to drive. I didn't experience any horror bills, but it also bbq'd itself just like Uber's 355. I also think it's the most beautiful Ferrari, followed close by the 458.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline quattro_joe

• Formula Euro

Lots of fun to drive. I didn't experience any horror bills, but it also bbq'd itself just like Uber's 355. I also think it's the most beautiful Ferrari, followed close by the 458.

Totally agree its the most beautiful Ferrari, hence the reason i have a soft spot for it!

Sad to hear yours was cooked like uber's! I saw his thread and pics on that, how painful to watch!

On that note, what caused yours to cook? Is there something I should look out for to avoid this happening?

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Totally agree its the most beautiful Ferrari, hence the reason i have a soft spot for it!

Sad to hear yours was cooked like uber's! I saw his thread and pics on that, how painful to watch!

On that note, what caused yours to cook? Is there something I should look out for to avoid this happening?

FF will fill you in - some fuel line thingy.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline j15

Never tried fchat. Are they that bad?? Their forum looks quit extensive...

The model specific sections are excellent (and are very helpful for technical info and advice), but the Australian section can be very esoteric, so it can be difficult for a new member trying to learn about a particular model if they ask their questions in that section.

Offline adam01

The model specific sections are excellent (and are very helpful for technical info and advice), but the Australian section can be very esoteric, so it can be difficult for a new member trying to learn about a particular model if they ask their questions in that section.

Very diplomatic.
Oz section is commandered by a few who seem to run it as their own private chat room
Imo

Offline vegas

• It puts the lotion on its skinor it gets the hose

• Drives: Ferrari
[
I have Fchat very good - but not the Australian section - just a bunch of Fking opinionated wankers - most it seems, don;t even own an f-car. Too much bullshit in the OZ section. The US forum by contrast is positve, helpful and encoraging of new owners. (yes I'm an aussie through and through) Just some of our bogan froiend are members.) Recommend you visit this site. I own a 360 and love it - I don;t know much about the 355 but most a hear are good things. 
It puts the lotion on its skin, or it gets the hose again.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
+1 for what people have said about the Aus section of F-chat, rest of the forum is very helpful as long as you only listen to advice with a grain of salt.

I have never owned a 355 but I have been told by a number of people, importers, mechanics, mechanics that have no motive to lie to me about it,   355's do tend to have more issues than the average 360, but I am also told that 355's tend to have parts that are a little cheaper, not sure how someone has measured this or if they are comparing the same parts etc or even if this info is correct or not....

Being older I would assume the reliability already by it self would be a little worse than a 360 but I repeat that is just me thinking out loud.

They are definately a much nicer looking car than a 360 onwards, IMO they look better than the 458 as well.

I have also been told that 355's that are imported from colder wetter climates can suffer from rust so it is a good idea to pay more attention to rust on those cars, even for australian cars if it lived in a wet region. Actually I think it was FF who mentioned that 355's are more prone to rust than 360's.  Double check everything ofcorse.

Sorry I couldn't give any 100% answers but I hope it helps you when looking for info.

And Good luck
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!