Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
FF will fill you in - some fuel line thingy.

I think he has mentioned it on here before, not the first time I have heard the fuel line somehow causing fire on the 355.   Might have been in the "Uber fire" thread but it was so long ago I again can't say for sure.
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

http://community.evo.co.uk/forums/thread.cfm?threadID=84404

Oh, and the cause of all this destruction? The classic F355 problem of   an incorrectly fitted jubilee clip rubbing through a fuel line...

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Not sure where to start really, theres so much to say.

But, to summarise, most 355 owners love their cars. Personally, my workshop is very busy and I see a lot of 355s with problems of all kinds, they're really quite poorly built and they're getting old now.

Buy one with the most concentrated service and repair history, especially ovee the last 5 years.

Any history older than 5 years can be disregarded as meaningless imo.

• Soap Dodger

Oh, and the external combustion engines are certain models, and there are easy fixes and prevention tips.

Ferrari even fit a part for free if not done already, but the part is only part of the problem, the engine mounts are the cause, the fire is the symptom.

Offline 355Aussie

OK here is what I have to say having owned one for 6 years.

1. Undoubtedly a real fun car to drive and if you get a nice one with good bodywork/paintwork it will be a stunner!!
2. They sound amazing if you have a good aftermarket exhaust on them. Notice how I said a GOOD aftermarket exhaust not a cheap 'crap' one.
3. If you are the type to get very worried about the $'s you may have to spend on it when it breaks down(notice I said when not if) then don't buy one.
4. If you get a compression check and it looks good this is not a sign that everything is OK. A leak down test is a must!!!
5. Because of their age there are electrical gremlins that make things go wrong like misfires etc
6. Depending on what the previous owner has spent on the car will govern your hopefully troublefree driving but it doesn't last forever.
7. And even if he has done a recent major engine out job etc doesn't mean it will not have other problems.
8. If you buy one and really abuse it in driving then a nice rebuild will hit your pocket. Keep that $20K handy for that job.
9. If it hasn't had valve guides done then THEY WILL need doing so there goes that $20K.
10. And of course the dreaded manifolds that will need rebuilding or a set of new ones sooner or later.

So in summary if you don't mind spending some on mechanical works then buy a good one and hopefully it will not be bad for you.

Always keep in mind that they are a money pit. Open the rear hood and start pouring the money in. Keep aside 5K per year and if you don't spend that then roll it over to the following year and your ahead.

If you want a ferrari that is more reliable and no engine out maintenance then go for a 360 or indeed if you have the money a 430. The 360 is in the price range of the 355 and equally a nice car to drive.

My 355 sold last month so you could have bought mine purely becuase I spent over 50K on it getting it to be the ferrari it should be. I literally replaced all parts to brand new and it is perfect inside and out but I DID spend money on it.

Goodluck in your ferrari 355 if you go down that road.

P.S. I bought a 430 and have never looked back!!

Offline quattro_joe

• Formula Euro

• Drives: Audi
Guys, thanks for all your comments! Very helpful.

From what ive been reading at the fc forum (the general stuff, not the aussie section which i have steered clear from) and 355Aussie and ferrarifixer's comments, it seems that valve guides is a common issue to watch out for and the car is an engine out type vehicle for servicing (which  is  something i have heard of from before).

I guess before i buy anything id be wanting to do a PPI (do they do that here? I know they do it in the US and UK).

Im prepared to buy a vehicle and then replace everything that is known to go or will go for peace of mind and maintain from there (hence, perhaps if i buy and/or get one imported at a cheaper price than local), unless i find one where i am 100% certain all the major stuff has been done recently. Id definitely be wanting to add a Capristo Stage 2 or 3 to it. Im not fussed that its getting old, I basically intend to keep the car forever (its still my far my favorite model, and i cant see how i would let it go once i got one!)

On a side note, if i do import the vehicle, can someone explain to me in general the process that is involved in compliancing and why the cost of it is around 10k (from what ive been seeing and told)?

Im trying to understand why such cost is justified as i have a colleague at work who emigrated from the UK and bought over his BMW 330i (admittedly this is a different car), and was told the same thing/cost regarding compliancing however he went straight to get his blue slip and it passed and was able to get the car locally registered thereafter no problem, which in his opinion made the whole compliancing thing a big money grab/rip-off.

Im not saying that it is necessarily a rip-off/money grab, perhaps something different is required with Ferraris, compared to other types of cars, i dont know, but just would like some insight into what exactly is done to the car to make them locally complianced.

Thanks again! Joe.

Offline Steph355au

I owned one for 8 years and agree with 355 Aussie. We all know what they look like and no other car comes close to the sound of a 355 at full throttle.
However you really need to think about you $$$ pain threshold when it comes to maintenance. They have always been expensive to maintain (engine out, etc) but as they get older the costs can only go one way.
On the positive side if you buy right I think it will probably hold itís value better over time compared to a 360.
I also moved to a 430 .... only problem now is I just drove the 458!
Good Luck!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline fivesix

I owned one for 8 years and agree with 355 Aussie. We all know what they look like and no other car comes close to the sound of a 355 at full throttle.
However you really need to think about you $$$ pain threshold when it comes to maintenance. They have always been expensive to maintain (engine out, etc) but as they get older the costs can only go one way.
On the positive side if you buy right I think it will probably hold itís value better over time compared to a 360.
I also moved to a 430 .... only problem now is I just drove the 458!
Good Luck!

Did you take it OS once? I think I remember one with Steph style plates shot in Europe?

• Soap Dodger

355s are NOT a fire risk ok.

I just happen to like working that way.

This one having a throttle balance and tune to make the idle smooth.

I know of people that have had top end rebuilds for faulty valve guides, when all that was needed was a tune.....