• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

175K?

Top end of the market for a 355.

Need to check if targa top leaks (probably will, my 348 was a sieve), whether the headers/valves have been done, whether the ABS light stays on when it shouldn't, whether you get a warning light from the rear shock actuators, whether the warning lights are actually even plugged in, whether the undertray is in good shape or cracked to poop, whether the flying buttresses have small cracks on the join points with the body, whether the almost unobtainium driving/fog lights are working right, whether the headlights work well enough to see by in the evenings ... gasp.

Those are the most regular 355 pains in the bottom. I'd buy the import 360 convertible for the money instead.

It's quite exciting when you talk like this............any thing else to add? :p

Phil.....I know you can talk like this too, but it must be the accent, it doesnt sound the same!
Always Gunna

Offline 355Aussie

Car is not as good as he says. Offer $135K and then spend $6500 or so on an engine out job and you will be right.

At 150K if you have to spend $6-10K on top plus stamp duty you are better off going for a 360.

Also, you are going to hate the F1 transmission in the 355. 360 got better at it.

Offline iwantaredferrari

• iwant-another-redferrari

• Drives: Ferrari 360 Modena
Don't understand the prices of f355s on carsales, dreamers except a few.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
well they either think their car is better than the rest, or they dont really want to sell
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline Ferrarista

Offer $135K and then spend $6500 or so on an engine out job and you will be right.

At 150K if you have to spend $6-10K on top plus stamp duty you are better off going for a 360.

the 355 have a following like no other ferrari has. People want more for them because they can get more. You cannot compare the 360 to the 355.
The 355 is and will always be a classic ferrari. I personally can't see the value in a 355 and would prefer the 360, but if i were buying for investment, i would be purchasing a 355, as i will always get my money back.
Another thing is that you can't import one like you can a 360. with the amount of import 360's entering australia due to the dollar at the moment, you will be able to buy one for $100k in a couple of years. Biggest problem with the 355, servicing. Look at $10k every major service!!
Also, do not even consider GTS or Spyder. Berlinetta only!!
Passion For The Prancing Horse

Offline 355Aussie

the 355 have a following like no other ferrari has. People want more for them because they can get more. You cannot compare the 360 to the 355.
The 355 is and will always be a classic ferrari. I personally can't see the value in a 355 and would prefer the 360, but if i were buying for investment, i would be purchasing a 355, as i will always get my money back.
Another thing is that you can't import one like you can a 360. with the amount of import 360's entering australia due to the dollar at the moment, you will be able to buy one for $100k in a couple of years. Biggest problem with the 355, servicing. Look at $10k every major service!!
Also, do not even consider GTS or Spyder. Berlinetta only!!

Yes you are correct the 355 is a better and more fun car especially in stick manual. The 355 is shaping up to be a classic Ferrari as you say. The issue is that many first time buyers don't understand that a bad 355 can be a money pit and I know many people who have poured lots of money into them.

A good 360 will be less of a headache in this area so that is why I think if you are a first time buyer and are worried about dollars in maintenance then get the 360 but if you are not worried about the money pit factor go get that 355!!!!

As for servicing at 10K it just depends where you take it. I have learnt alot about the 355 and an engine out I can get for around 5K all up. Take it to some shark out there and you could well and truly hit 10K plus more.

Of course berlinetta is nice as well in my opinion and that is what I have. I would not sell my 355 but just offering some advice to the first time buyers.

Cheers

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
The more I see of 355's the less inclined I would be to get one.

They age really badly, mechanically. They are well and truly in the "classic car territory" in regard to upkeep.

I've just been offered an English import 360 coupe, red/tan, recently serviced etc, it's been on the net a while asking about $165k I think... it may even still be there... sellers name is Chris

anyway, ~$145k or very close offer buys it, it's well worth it. IMO.

If you're going to buy a 355, get one that's as perfect as possible, and requiring no work.... it seems most maintenance jobs snowball significantly.

A belt job with fluid service can be done on a 355 for around $3000 if NOTHING is wrong with the car as such. Out of all the ones I've seen, I would say that about 80% of them end up with about 50% more spend than estimated (by the owner).

Offline 355Aussie

The more I see of 355's the less inclined I would be to get one.

They age really badly, mechanically. They are well and truly in the "classic car territory" in regard to upkeep.

I've just been offered an English import 360 coupe, red/tan, recently serviced etc, it's been on the net a while asking about $165k I think... it may even still be there... sellers name is Chris

anyway, ~$145k or very close offer buys it, it's well worth it. IMO.

If you're going to buy a 355, get one that's as perfect as possible, and requiring no work.... it seems most maintenance jobs snowball significantly.

A belt job with fluid service can be done on a 355 for around $3000 if NOTHING is wrong with the car as such. Out of all the ones I've seen, I would say that about 80% of them end up with about 50% more spend than estimated (by the owner).

You are indeed right about the perfect 355 out there but alot of owners are hanging on to them especially if they are red/tan so a bit difficult for the new owner searching for one.

However, there are still good ones out there where the owners spend money on them to renew the used ageing parts and when they do end up on the market they are a good 355 to buy at the right price.

What I did with mine is basically renew almost ALL parts to new. Hoses, clamps, some sensors, suspension bushes, manifolds etc.

Yes poured some money into it but a dream to drive and mechanically A1 since renewing these parts.

But as you said if you can get a good 360 as prices are dropping at the moment this would be a better buy dollar wise.

Easier maintenance especially major services.

And of course, lastly but not least it is a Ferrari and we love them no matter what it costs to run.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
<snip - just 355Aussie agreeing with FF ... ack>

And of course, lastly but not least it is a Ferrari and we love them no matter what it costs to run.

Hahahaha. I hate my Ferrari's every time there's service costs. B@stard things.

When they are running well though - you're right - they are epicly stupendous.
C'mon, do it!