Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
Harris has penned his thoughts...a good read.

http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/doc.asp?c=143&i=30096

You're right, that was a fascinating read with some good insight into what the future holds for the turbo 458 replacement.

I found this amazing:

"This motor is clearly capable of producing more torque than the rear axle can handle, but Ferrari has seen its best chance to replicate the feel of increased power and performance as the revs increase. We're now accustomed to people limiting the torque of these new turbo motors in the lower gears, but Ferrari has gone a step further and mapped each gear with its own individual torque curve. When you ask the team how long it took, they instinctively look into the double espresso to their right. Especially when you consider how connected the powertrain is to the complicated electronic differential and stability control systems.

So this really is some trickery - artificially limiting the performance available in lower gears to give the sensation of needing to rev the motor out above 6,000rpm to enjoy peak power. It sounds a bit contrived because they've actually shaped the torque curve of every point in every gear to give the feeling they're looking for. The conundrum came in the higher gears, where they've chosen to let the turbines properly breathe, leaving the car with potentially similar roll-on acceleration in several gears."

First we had fake and manufactured exhaust notes and now we have fake and manufactured engine characteristics :p

On the upcoming 458 replacement he says:

"But how will it work in a car like a 458? You'll miss the razor-throttle much more. The high gear torque will seem more unnatural, and the noise will be much more of an issue. But you just get the feeling that this first turbo experiment is a stepping stone and the engineers will deliver a further step for the new mid-engined car. There are rumours of 4 litres and, in testing, power figures reaching 750hp. Expect less for production, purely to give the more expensive V12 cars a chance."

I'm sure the 458 replacement will be a spectacular performer; but for me I think it was the right move to buy the last of the naturally aspirated V8's in the Speciale :)

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
Agree. The Speciale is the last of the breed.
The general public is a terrible barometer of taste. Trust your own sensibilities.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
Agree. The Speciale is the last of the breed.

yeah...that's what they said about the 328 and the 355. ....and the Lambo SV. Doesn't seem to make any difference in the end. The new car will be so much better and faster and prettier (FWIW) that no one will care....IMO of course.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline JBO

sorry....last of the NA breed.
The general public is a terrible barometer of taste. Trust your own sensibilities.

Offline Aircon

sorry....last of the NA breed.

oh...yes...for sure.

I must admit I was surprised that the 458 was normally aspirated in the first place.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

There has been a lot of rumor going about as well that the 458 replacement will come with hybrid option!!!   :?

Offline JBO

Philosophically the introduction of hybrid tech to a 458 doesn't sound right.
But the La Ferrari shows at the moment they're not interested in electric only running modes.
They're using hybrid only to enhance performance and "torque fill".
If they apply that tech to the mainstream range and can also deliver a poofteenth better fuel economy, mission accomplished.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
There has been a lot of rumor going about as well that the 458 replacement will come with hybrid option!!!   :?

Ferrari have stated that they won't be using the hybrid technology in main stream models in the immediate future. They said the complexity and cost were major factors plus battery technology needs to evolve further.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

Ferrari have stated that they won't be using the hybrid technology in main stream models in the immediate future. They said the complexity and cost were major factors plus battery technology needs to evolve further.

Ah, but the devil is in the detail....

Maybe they'll offer a hybrid equipped option of a mainstream model.... Making it NOT a mainstream model any more.

Called... "Wholly Aspirated Naturally + KERS"

Or "wankers" for short ?

Offline Aircon

That's the sort of thing everyone said about hybrid technology a few years ago full stop....but now many manufacturers make hybrids.

What I mean is that yes, Ferrari DID say that, but as soon as they nail it, they'll change their tune about it. That could be tomorrow!