Offline RS

• Drives: AMG

Offline dkabab

Did you wanna send me through the 3ds file of the 458? I'll try with my inferior skills on that too.

Offline racecomp

• Carbon Fiber Gimp

• Name: Steve
Today's 3hrs worth. Got it almost symmetrical, once it hardens a bit more ill be able to do some more detail.

Maybe lower the front bonnet height a little to give the wheel arches more definition?

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
i was thinking about this car today and one thing was bothering me.

one thing you need to think of is the roof line. i can design anything you want, and cars like the one you pictured above, but you have to remember, if you have the 458 roof, PP loves FF, side windows, etc, then its going to have to have the same stuff.

you can get pretty creative with the rest of it, think enzo and mc12. same cabin/roof/glass but the body is different.

the other problem you have is the hypercar design is a little different to the sports car design. thing f50 vs 458. if you look side on its hard to see, but if you look front on, you'll get what i mean. the cabin on the f50/enzo/zonda etc is narrow and the sides of the car run at least 15-20cm out from the side windows. on a 458 or similar, the glass is only 1-3cm from the side, giving more interior room but less chance for wild styling.

i gues what im getting at is... if you want to keep the 458 cabin in tact, then the styling will be a 458 with modifyed panels (nothing wrong with that) but if you can re-do the roof and glass, and somehow the doors... well then, its open slather

If you alter the glass and cabin architecture I bet you run into big ADR problems and expense. Most of the big name one off designs seem to leave this aspect of the base car intact.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Agreed love that idea

Just a thought from a practicality and personal experience point of view, the rear deck, even in carbon fibre/Perspex is incredibly heavy to lift. Anyone who has opened the deck of an F40 or F50 will agree I'm sure.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Another aspect to consider is one off road wheel designs and certification is incredibly expensive.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Just a thought from a practicality and personal experience point of view, the rear deck, even in carbon fibre/Perspex is incredibly heavy to lift. Anyone who has opened the deck of an F40 or F50 will agree I'm sure.

Could design it in two or three pieces and lift them separately. Anyone know what its like to open a BB? I saw one lifted in front of me 20 years ago and from memory it looked quite easy. Did the F40 and 50 have any hydraulic assistance?

Offline dkabab

pictures really dont do it justice... when its finished i'll have to bring it around.

Offline racecomp

• Carbon Fiber Gimp

• Name: Steve
pictures really dont do it justice... when its finished i'll have to bring it around.

Love your work mate, can you re-shape using the OEM 458 rear glass rather than louvers; I'll have a lot of bling under the glass so I would like to show that off, by keeping the rear hatch hinged from the roof it will allow for an easier removal of the one piece rear panel. With a pre-preg rear panel one person would easy lift it off.
A simple layup of 2 x 2x2 200gsm carbon 1 x 180gsm Kevlar 1x 3mm Nomex and 2 x 2x2 200gsm + 2 x 50mm uni directional carbon border you will yield a very strong and super light panel that is F1 quality. Remember that this will not be load bearing panel. 

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al