Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
posted on fchat by Ianb

"judging originality is a nightmare, every owner is passionate in their view of what's original on their car and some do get upset when you mark them down. It doesn't help when their mechanics/restorers feed them incorrect advice. e.g. parts of the Melbourne fcar repair community seems to have decided that early Ferraris have brake calipers painted gold rather than cad plated."

• Soap Dodger

posted on fchat by Ianb

"judging originality is a nightmare, every owner is passionate in their view of what's original on their car and some do get upset when you mark them down. It doesn't help when their mechanics/restorers feed them incorrect advice. e.g. parts of the Melbourne fcar repair community seems to have decided that early Ferraris have brake calipers painted gold rather than cad plated."

Ian, would you mean me?

I've painted calipers on several occasions, but I am fully aware CAD plating is original and correct.

There are several reasons to paint them instead.

IF the calipers are particularly rusty... the finish will not be restored correctly, so replacement is the only alternative to be correct. This is very expensive and hard to find the parts.

IF the calipers are particularly rusty, the chemical cleaning process to remove the rust prior to plating them can cause nitrogen enbrittlement to the casting (iron), causing failure of the threads for the bleed screws and even the piston seal channel. It can also weaken the main bolt lugs where the caliper attaches to the upright. (dropping the plated caliper for example could break the lug off).

CAD plating is the original finish, but true CAD plating is no longer available for health risks. The alternative is yellow chromate or gold zinc passivication... both of these are very shiny. CAD plating is a satin finish.

So, in the interest of safety and cost effectiveness AND original appearance, it is much more suitable to paint rusted calipers to achieve the perfect CAD plating look. It is also an easily maintainable finish requiring minimal costs to keep looking as new

Of course, if the calipers are not rusted then one of the non original plating techniques can work quite nicely. I would estimate I plate 2/3 of the calipers I overhaul (gold zinc pass). But then they're too shiny to be original and should be marked down............... and paint the rest.

As a company, I cannot afford to risk the potential failures of the threads and seal channels. I have seen multiple calipers fail from multiple cars. It is not rare or isolated, and I hope those that plate all their parts regardless of metalurgy, will live to enjoy them. I've repaired cars that have crashed from nitrogen embrittlement failures.

Oh, and clock tags are a wank. :thumbsup:

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
^^^^what a load of bollocks.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Aircon

Oh, and clock tags are a wank. :thumbsup:

yeah.....that's why they're so sought after.

*sigh*

if a significant part of a concours is originality, then something like a clock tag is worth its weight in gold....and people pay for them like they are!

• Soap Dodger

yeah.....that's why they're so sought after.

*sigh*

if a significant part of a concours is originality, then something like a clock tag is worth its weight in gold....and people pay for them like they are!

Yes, an original clock tag IS a good thing..

But there are so many NON original clock tags out there now, that it's become a wank.

Offline Aircon

Yes, an original clock tag IS a good thing..

But there are so many NON original clock tags out there now, that it's become a wank.

well, that's not what you said.

• Soap Dodger

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I'm sorry but I have to agree that concourse is a Wank!!!!

I lose points all the time because I paint my cars in 2-pack, and they never had 2-pack in the 60's.

I also judged concourse for a while(not Ferrari's), worst experience ever. Guys would argue about almost everything just to get a few more points.
I even know some of the judges that even received death threats!!!   :eek:

• Soap Dodger

I'm sorry but I have to agree that concourse is a Wank!!!!

Agree?

I don't think Concour is a wank... just the amount of value placed on fake clock tags.

In this country, there are simply not enough cars (that attend and compete) to make the concour credible worldwide, but it's nice to see the cars.

I've judged, and prepared cars. The effort required for both is unjustified.

It's nice to see cars in nice condition, and original, and it's nice if they're clean, but again, WAY too much emphasis on clean over originality and condition....

I have the tiny little yellow oval sticker that should be on the road springs... perhaps I should print a few thousand and sell them to all the clock tag buyers.... :scratchchin:

Offline Aircon

I have the tiny little yellow oval sticker that should be on the road springs... perhaps I should print a few thousand and sell them to all the clock tag buyers.... :scratchchin:

you'll make a fortune!!

and isn't it 'concours'????