Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
What am i getting myself into...

I think what Mr Wattens is saying is basically right from a legalities point of view, also from a real world, day to day rims point of view. In the real (non track focused titanium clad 3 piece wheel world) going from a 18" wheel and tyre package to a 20in wheel and tyre package will result in decreased performance.

Heavier wheel, less sidewall to absorb bumps, problems with the cops and insurance. Right?! But sure I concede and Im sure wattens would to that if you went from an 18in factory alloy to a 20in - 3 piece - light weight rim from a reputable brand, that decrease in performance issue wouldn't appear.

Disaster averted?

errr....

there's much more to it than that.

the rolling circumference is MUCH more important to performance than weight changes.. MUCH MUCH more important.

Wheel diameter DOES NOT determine rolling circumference. TYRE SIZE/PROFILE DOES.

Ride quality.... the more air volume in the tyre = better ride quality.

PERFORMANCE, is variable on a number of things.... wheel off set, width, tyre size, tyre type. etc etc

It also never fails to OMG me, when people spend gazzilions on fancy wheels, and then fit sumitomo or yankinmofo tyres or whatever they are.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
maybe we need to bump this thread back onto it's rails...

I have in my shop some wheels a guy bought off ebay.. sold as "excellent" etc etc... they're badly painted, cracked, buckled and corroded.
Be careful!

Ouch, keep the stock wheels incase the new wheels are shit then

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
maybe we need to bump this thread back onto it's rails...

ferrarista wants to pay ~$1k for someones old wheels, off a 430, or maybe a 360, but they'll be worth less to him.

Let's all wish him luck.

Thanks.....I understand $1000 is too little, so I up the ante....$1050.00, anyone??

• Soap Dodger

I used that to over emphasize a point of tyre circumference, and in trucks and some 4wds with low profiles there won't be any panel work. Just as FF said, wheel size doesn't always mean any difference in tire travel.

travel? where'd ya get travel from.......

travel is another thing AGAIN...

wheel size has no bearing on rolling circumference/effective gear ratio.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

430's came with bridgestones instead of P-zeros didn't they?

I find the p-zeros stickier, looks like factory did the weird tire thing as well. Atleast they didn't put MAXX tyres on lol

Offline Paulstar

the rolling circumference is MUCH more important to performance than weight changes.. MUCH MUCH more important.

Wheel diameter DOES NOT determine rolling circumference. TYRE SIZE/PROFILE DOES.

Ride quality.... the more air volume in the tyre = better ride quality.

PERFORMANCE, is variable on a number of things.... wheel off set, width, tyre size, tyre type. etc etc

I agree to all those points. I put light weight 5zigen wheels, 3inches bigger than standard, 2.5 inches wider than standard and chrome (elector plated? :S) and it rode and drove much better than stock standard and the difference in diamater was only 3mm or so.

• Soap Dodger

I find the p-zeros stickier, looks like factory did the weird tire thing as well. Atleast they didn't put MAXX tyres on lol

various suppliers, depending on commercial arrangements and NOTHING to do with quality/performance.

Michelin and Pirelli perform comparitevly well when new. Michelin last longer/ are better value, but cost more.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

travel? where'd ya get travel from.......

travel is another thing AGAIN...

wheel size has no bearing on rolling circumference/effective gear ratio.

What travel and rolling Circumference are not the same thing?

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly

Stickier than what?? Bridgestones?? How do you find them stickier, how did you come to this conclusion?? Do you have 2 sets of tyres, one pirelli and the other bridgestone for the same car??
I drove my mates 430 and it handles better than my 360 with pirellis, but something tells me that might not just be tyre related!
With the utmost respect, I conclude that you sir, are full of sh*t

Offline Paulstar

Rolling diameter

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Travel is up and down

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUK-5zhbpuk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUK-5zhbpuk</a>