Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

The issues start when you go up more than 2 inches in diameter from standard and if the width of the tyre is wider than the original body of the car. Other than that if you have proper blue slip/ pink slip passed brakes (for NSW, I have no idea about the other states) and tyres are road legal. Insurance doesn't have a leg to stand on.

EG: if a 360 comes standard (or factory fitted) with 18 inch diameter, the largest you can go without an engineers certificate is 20 inches. Why you would put 20's or bigger on a 360 beats the hell out of me? What is the point of making the car take off slower?
Put 17's and get better punch acceleration, looks awkward though...

I'm surprised at your mis understanding.

The wheel size is meaningless regarding performance, it's rolling circumference that matters OF THE TYRE.....

you can have the same effective size, no matter whether you have 17,18,19,20 or 21" wheels.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Well with 17 inch and 18 inch yes, depending on what tyre size you put on, but from 16inch to 24 inch, there is no way of getting the same rolling circumfrence.

But you are right if it is a small wheel increase and the tyre wall is altered to have the same rolling distance it makes no difference.

Stop picking at every detail :P

Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Actually correction, if we are talking about 16 inch truck/4wd rims, and change them to 24 inch low profiles, there isn't much difference. But then you have tyre load rating issues, especially if you get done by a power tripping highway patroll
Enjoying Life!!!!

• Soap Dodger

^^

you're in a tail spin, EJECT EJECT!!

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

^^

you're in a tail spin, EJECT EJECT!!

??? If I was wrong maybe...
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
Well with 17 inch and 18 inch yes, depending on what tyre size you put on, but from 16inch to 24 inch, there is no way of getting the same rolling circumfrence.

But you are right if it is a small wheel increase and the tyre wall is altered to have the same rolling distance it makes no difference.

Stop picking at every detail :P
No way of rolling full stop!! The wheels would not fit in the cars wheel arch..... 16 to 24 inch is a massive jump and would need some major
Panel work to get them in
Everything looks better in carbon fibre

• Soap Dodger

Offline Paulstar

I'm surprised at your mis understanding.

The wheel size is meaningless regarding performance, it's rolling circumference that matters OF THE TYRE.....

you can have the same effective size, no matter whether you have 17,18,19,20 or 21" wheels.

What am i getting myself into...

I think what Mr Wattens is saying is basically right from a legalities point of view, also from a real world, day to day rims point of view. In the real (non track focused titanium clad 3 piece wheel world) going from a 18" wheel and tyre package to a 20in wheel and tyre package will result in decreased performance.

Heavier wheel, less sidewall to absorb bumps, problems with the cops and insurance. Right?! But sure I concede and Im sure wattens would to that if you went from an 18in factory alloy to a 20in - 3 piece - light weight rim from a reputable brand, that decrease in performance issue wouldn't appear.

Disaster averted?

• Soap Dodger

maybe we need to bump this thread back onto it's rails...

ferrarista wants to pay ~$1k for someones old wheels, off a 430, or maybe a 360, but they'll be worth less to him.

Let's all wish him luck.

I have in my shop some wheels a guy bought off ebay.. sold as "excellent" etc etc... they're badly painted, cracked, buckled and corroded.

It's quite rare to find good quality unwanted ferrari wheels second hand. But there are plenty of unwanted ferari wheels, second hand.

Be careful!

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

No way of rolling full stop!! The wheels would not fit in the cars wheel arch..... 16 to 24 inch is a massive jump and would need some major
Panel work to get them in

I used that to over emphasize a point of tyre circumference, and in trucks and some 4wds with low profiles there won't be any panel work. Just as FF said, wheel size doesn't always mean any difference in tire travel.
Enjoying Life!!!!