Offline dkabab

I hope you optioned the fire extinguisher, Mark!

to be honest, by the time you notice the fire, pull over and get out, its most likely beyond the tiny extinguisher they fit to the cars.
hopefully thats not the case though

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

to be honest, by the time you notice the fire, pull over and get out, its most likely beyond the tiny extinguisher they fit to the cars.
hopefully thats not the case though

Let it burn I say.  Who wants a repaired car?  Insurance will replace it.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Let's hope they fix the problem before it gets here.  :o

I wonder how many of these are owners or the dealers getting excited and over-filling with oil and other exotic additives.

I followed a 355 recently, that the owner had dropped an 'oil additive' into, and the extra half litre was enough that when hot, the engine was smoking like nuts. I imagine an extra litre would lead to flames.
C'mon, do it!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I wonder how many of these are owners or the dealers getting excited and over-filling with oil and other exotic additives.

Unlikely to be the owners. Most with a modern exotic couldn't find the engine cover release to save themselves. :p

Offline DL599

• nee Melbourne Exotics

• Name: Damon

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession

I followed a 355 recently, that the owner had dropped an 'oil additive' into, and the extra half litre was enough that when hot, the engine was smoking like nuts. I imagine an extra litre would lead to flames.

Owner/mechanic = wrong

even when full to the max and stinking hot like at a track day, you can over fill a 355 engine oil by about 1 to 1.5 litres with no symptoms whatsoever.

If his car blew smoke it was either over full already or he added more than 0.5 litres.

If he checked the level and thought it was fine, he checked it wrong. (Run engine, the stop and check immediately, level on max at ~80degrees is fine, at 120 degrees it will be about 20mm OVER max and still be fine.)

or perhaps the dipstick is too short.  :tilt:

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Owner/mechanic = wrong

even when full to the max and stinking hot like at a track day, you can over fill a 355 engine oil by about 1 to 1.5 litres with no symptoms whatsoever.

If his car blew smoke it was either over full already or he added more than 0.5 litres.

If he checked the level and thought it was fine, he checked it wrong. (Run engine, the stop and check immediately, level on max at ~80degrees is fine, at 120 degrees it will be about 20mm OVER max and still be fine.)

or perhaps the dipstick is too short.  :tilt:

Spoke to him, he topped up with oil when the engine was 'warm' to close to max. Added additive the next weekend. I suspect it was already over prior, and the extra additive did the trick. Quite an impressive amount of smoke, and a real illustration that none of us had ever unclipped our fire extinguishers before...
C'mon, do it!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Spoke to him, he topped up with oil when the engine was 'warm' to close to max. Added additive the next weekend. I suspect it was already over prior, and the extra additive did the trick. Quite an impressive amount of smoke, and a real illustration that none of us had ever unclipped our fire extinguishers before...

many mechanics, even experienced ones, think an engine is warm when the water temp guage says so.

it's not, it's the OIL temp that dictates an engines readiness for action.

It's easily done, I see it often with home DIYers especially.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Another one on fire:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRHJACxTAUs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRHJACxTAUs</a>

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Ferrari-458-Italia-On-Fire-Video.html

This new video that surfaced the web last night shows yet another Ferrari 458 Italia on fire. This is the 10th one to suffer the same fate. This Ferrari 458 Italia caught fire on a road in China and again, the trouble has started in its engine compartment.

According to recent reports, Ferrari will start looking into these fires, since this is becoming a serious problems. When 10 of the cars show the same issues in the few months since the model went on sale, it's time to think the cars have a problem, and not the drivers.

However, a Ferrari official has stated that at least six of the events were caused by driver error, and not by some technical malfunction.