Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Ferrari apparently looking into why they appear to be so combustible.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ferrari-looks-into-458-italia-fires-23732.html

Ferrari Looks into 458 Italia Fires

* Ferrari investigates 458 Italia fires
    * At least three cars burned so far
    * The causes of the fires are not yet known

After, for several months in a row, a bunch of brand new Ferrari 458 Italia models caught fire out of the blue here and there in the world, it would appear the Italian carmaker who produces them decided to have a looksie and see what's what.

The body count, if you will, is now three. Three new 458s have been turned to ash in recent months, for reasons which for now remain a mystery. Even if it may seem small, the number of Ferraris who burned is big enough not to be a coincidence. And that number might be even bigger, if we are to judge by what a Ferrari spokesman is saying.

"It is important to differentiate between what is a vehicle fire and outside factors and I would include driver error," a Ferrari UK spokesman was quoted as saying by just-auto.

"Six have been incidents where it potentially could be the driver or other factors. I am not in a position to comment on the vehicle fires and all we can say is we are taking it obviously very seriously."

The 458 Italia has been presented last year at the Frankfurt Auto Show as the replacement for the F430. The Italia is powered by a 4.5l V8 direct injection engine fitted with the traditional flat-plane crankshaft. It has a breathtaking output of 570 horsepower at 9,000 rpm and 540 Nm of torque at 6,000 rpm.

The unit is mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission and together boasts the car from naught to sixty faster than you can say Ferrari 458 Italia: 3.4 seconds. It keeps on going until it reaches 325 km/h (200 mph).

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

I've heard that the cause has been found, and that cars are being rectified during pre delivery.

There are a number of rumours, some of them close to factual, but none quite right to what I've been told.

Basically, a simple permanent fix requiring a few simple parts that relocates something combustible away from an ignition source,..... is all you'll get for now!  :tilt:

The cars that have burned are all apparently cars that were delivered before the fix was worked out.

Offline grigio 6.0

• Drives: LP670 SV, F360 Spider
I've heard that the cause has been found, and that cars are being rectified during pre delivery.

There are a number of rumours, some of them close to factual, but none quite right to what I've been told.

Basically, a simple permanent fix requiring a few simple parts that relocates something combustible away from an ignition source,..... is all you'll get for now!  :tilt:

The cars that have burned are all apparently cars that were delivered before the fix was worked out.
Rectified during pre delivery? Now that appears ambigious. Does it mean that ferrari will continue to make the 458 with the defect and rectify at the dealer or rectify cars that have already left Italy and are on their way to the delivery countries? Based on my previous years of ownership of ferraris i would think the former applies :)

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
I would imagine the pre delivery fix is for cars that have already been made (the old way) and are awaiting delivery, these cars are then fixed, and the new cars comming out at the factory would obviously have the issue already sorted as it is much cheaper to do it while it is on the production line.

But then again as you pointed out, it is Ferrari, they arn't always the most logical guys around
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

Offline schmengo

• Drives: E63 AMG BiTurbo and X5M
Everton striker Louis Saha emerges unscathed and could face Reading after writing off Ferrari

Louis Saha could feature for Everton in their rearranged FA Cup fifth round tie with Reading at Goodison Park on Tuesday less than 48 hours after writing off his £170,000 Ferrari. The striker emerged unscathed from the crash.

The 32-year-old’s Ferrari 458 Italia left the road and collided with a fence in a tunnel near Manchester Airport at 8.45pm on Sunday. Saha, who was alone in the car, reported for training as normal on Monday morning.

Saha’s crash occurred in the same complex of tunnels where Cristiano Ronaldo wrote off his own £200,000 Ferrari GTB in January 2009.

Offline hummel

Offline fivesix

That's a weird looking tunnel..
New open top design/version they are trialling...

Offline fivesix

Matte black with gloss bonnet hey?
Looked the goods!