Offline app

I'm with Jan on this one.

I mostly see annoying/distracting shadows and reflections in the outdoor shots (and even some indoor).

So it's a matter of learning what the light does to a car's shape and the surroundings, and getting the absolute best angles etc.

By the way, this is general stuff, and nothing to do with type of camera.

Hope this helps.

(typed in a hurry from a noisy airport, so apologies that this isn't sugar coated  :))

Ta. So is it about where you park, the time of day, where you stand in relation to the car and how you position yourself and the camera?

Offline dkabab

Ta. So is it about where you park, the time of day, where you stand in relation to the car and how you position yourself and the camera?

as a general rule of thumb, try and minimise harsh shadows... unless of course thats the look you are going for.

you can do this by taking photos in the shade, or when the sun is setting. if you know what you are doing, taking photos in the mid day sun can work, but usually only when there isn't much around like trees creating speckled shadows.

try taking photos with the sun behind you, shooting into the sun can create lots of issues.

Offline will.dinn

• Name: Will

If you can, try and shoot either in the hour after sunrise or the hour before sunset, generally referred to as "the golden hour" this is when the light is best and the light is coming from the side instead of from top so it's a hell of a lot easier to avoid reflections

Offline T0M722

All of these points are very helpful, thanks! I will definitely try to shoot at better times and in better places next time. I think the real thing for me is to just grab control of the situation and calm down... :P

Offline mdogger7

• no homl

• Drives: 599 GTO (in my dreams)
  • Name: Mitch
I like to imagine this is how it all went down:

hahahahahahahahaha! :D knowing Tom in person, this is halirous!

Offline carmooch

• Name: George
Taking shots of black cars is notoriously difficult as the paint surface reflects everything, so all things considered you have done well!

I have three tips for shooting a black car.

1. Shoot during sunrise/sunset which reduces the amount of reflection and gives the paint a nice deep colour.

2. Take panning shots with a relatively low shutter speed which streaks the reflections in the paintwork.

3. Place the car in an open area far from any objects or structures so that they are less noticeable in the reflection, or nearer to structures which will reflect as straight lines. So under the bridge was a good idea, but should have been standing on the other side of the car.

Hope it helps!

Oh and PS... not my photos.

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Taking shots of black cars is notoriously difficult as the paint surface reflects everything, so all things considered you have done well!

I have three tips for shooting a black car.

1. Shoot during sunrise/sunset which reduces the amount of reflection and gives the paint a nice deep colour.
2. Have a bird in the picture.
3. Use someone else pictures.

Image: Re: Ferrari 458 Italia Photo shootasdf

:thumbsup:

Offline dkabab

anyone else notice the crow sitting on the CGT's mirror

Offline carmooch

• Name: George
anyone else notice the crow sitting on the CGT's mirror
Holy crap there's a crow sitting on the mirror! Well now I get PA's post, haha!

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Holy crap there's a crow sitting on the mirror! Well now I get PA's post, haha!
It's good to see my time here is not wasted, totally.