Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I don't recall hearing about this one last year??

Victim tells of smash that changed his life

by Joel Cresswell

ANDREW Hosemans can't help but weigh his two-week coma against the $6000 fine slapped on the driver who nearly killed him.

The driver of the Ferrari that struck Mr Hosemans and a friend as they rode motorbikes along the Great Ocean Road last October, walked from a Geelong court with his licence intact on Tuesday.

Carlo Vaccari, 64, was convicted of careless driving and ordered to pay $3000 each to two road-trauma funds.

"I'm a bit gutted, I thought he would've at least done his licence for a little while I'm still going to rehab and getting operations," Mr Hosemans said yesterday.

"But I'll make sure I get over that pretty quickly, I've got better things to do than worry about him."

Mr Hosemans was thrown onto the windshield and over the roof as Vaccari lost control of his Ferrari travelling 80km/h into a 90-degree left-hand bend at an area known as Big Hill.

Vaccari crossed onto the wrong side of the road and into the motorcyclists travelling in the opposite direction.

Mr Hosemans' vertebrae, sternum and right femur were fractured and he suffered a collapsed lung and ruptured bowel.

He was rushed to The Alfred hospital where he was put into an induced coma while doctors tried to flush out the toxins flowing through his bloodstream from his ruptured bowel.

"My kids came in, saw me hooked up to all the machines and were told there was no certainty I going to make it," he said.

"My oldest girl walked into the room and fainted when she saw me."

His wife and two teenage daughters have suffered through the most, according to Mr Hosemans.

"My wife was in at ICU every day I was in there and every day at rehab since," he said.

"They've been supportive but they've had enough of it all."

His only contact with the man who changed his life forever has been a letter.

"It just said he hopes I'll get back to riding ... I'm not back to work yet," he said.

"He never admitted fault, never said sorry. I actually felt a bit disappointed for him, just not being able to own up to the fact you've been a fool."

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Wow - $6000 fine with no loss of license!! Hardly seems right does it?
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

The courts are run by a bunch of bewigged f***ing idiots who would release a pedophile into a safe house next to a kindergarten, and they probably have.

Offline 98octane

Mr Hosemans was thrown onto the windshield and over the roof as Vaccari lost control of his Ferrari travelling 80km/h into a 90-degree left-hand bend at an area known as Big Hill.

I know that road very well.  It's an 80kph zone.  Some of those corners are very tricky reducing radius blind corners.   However, the min speed required to drive safely around the worst of them is ~50kph.  With brakes the size of the 599's, perhaps approaching 80kph is not all that bad.  Perhaps this case is less clear than it appears in that article.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
  Perhaps this case is less clear than it appears in that article.

Yeah, its not like the press to omit the facts to make a story read differently  :scratchchin:

I was at the first Street Machine Nationals we held in Wagga watching the cruising and hooning on Saturday night with my missus and 8 yr old step daughter.... the same moment in time was reported as front page news in the UK as a massive riot with the city of Wagga taken over by rioting car hoons ... there were kids everywhere, no one was in danger, no one got hurt, but the Police did get a little out of control.  :D :D
Friends of mine had relatives in the UK calling to check that they were still alive, thats how they reported an event that little kids were safely attending.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
This photo hardly explains what happened, it said the Ferrari was taking a sharp left hand bend.
Did he hit the bikes and spin because this pic looks like he was taking a right hand bend?

If he hit the bikes and the barrier and bounced back on that angle its hard to believe he didnt lose his license... I guess its another case of, "he who has the best Barrister," wins.....

I wonder if he hired the guy that got John Singleton off?

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head

A bit general Dodger mate, don't forget there are tens of thousands of cases heard every year, we hear about one stupid unfair decision every once in a while.... in terms of raw numbers the courts do a good job, after all humans make the decisions and humans always make errors.

I wonder what the REAL facts about the case are, lets face it you find me an un-biassed news article and i'll buy you a brand new Gulf-Stream..... never going to happen.

Facts are facts, news articles are crap
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

A bit general Dodger mate, don't forget there are tens of thousands of cases heard every year, we hear about one stupid unfair decision every once in a while.... in terms of raw numbers the courts do a good job, after all humans make the decisions and humans always make errors.
I wonder what the REAL facts about the case are, lets face it you find me an un-biassed news article and i'll buy you a brand new Gulf-Stream..... never going to happen.
Facts are facts, news articles are crap

Every crummy decision turns me against the Judiciary more and more.

There's a difference between justice and the law.

What about American who killed his wife here scuba diving ?
He gets 18 months here then they won't allow the US to get their hands on him until they promise not to seek the death penalty.
What a joke.
Plenty of other cases where people just get off too lightly.

I know there are plenty that do the job OK but there are too many where common sense is absent and the expectations of the public are ignored.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
It is terrible that this accident happened, but at the end of the day all riders (I used to ride, mostly offroad where bikes should be but occasionally onroad to get to the offroad tracks) accept that they are only as good as the people around them, even if the biker is in the right they still run the ultimate risk as they only have one life.

Lets assume the Ferrari was in the wrong, if he hit another car like that there would be no publicity (maybe except for the fact it is a Ferrari involved in an accident), just because the guy who got hit was a motorcycle doesn't mean the Ferrari driver should be punnished more than if he hit a car.

At the end of the day the motorcyclist understands the risks of riding a bike on the road, you can not be punished more for hitting a bike than you would for hitting a car, discrimination against car drivers = can of worms.......
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!